Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one time there was this law that if you brought in a non-conforming car from outside the U.S. you had to get DOT and EPA papers for it , meaning you had to go to a shop that would change speedometer to mph, change marker lights, maybe even put in side door guard beam, yadda yadda. But now that these Montreals are all old cars, are they "grandfathered" in so if you find one in Canada or elsewhere you can bring it in as an old car and correct nothing to U.S. specification? I'd like to hear of someone who bought one that didn't mean specs but managed to eventually get it licensed and registered without kowtowing to the bureaucracy we had then.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Yes they are. The stuff the DOT did to mine. Mine was inported in 1984. Side markers were added in the front as well as the rear. You're all set! No worries!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Brought mine in from Vancouver, BC in 2005. All they did at the border was verify VIN with the BC title and reminded me to get a WA state trip permit.

I believe current law is anything older than 25 yrs does not need to meet any DOT regs. (Don't quote me! But you can find current regs on line.)

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Ten minutes in the tag office with the "Bill of Sale" and Title, the car was good to go, since it is over 25 years old. Such a modern antique!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts