Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I think that there is an extra zero on that number.

Don't get me wrong, the 124 is a great refined sports car, the nicest ones are the pre 1975 chrome bumpered cars. However, they were made in a lot of numbers, so not rare by any means even in this country.

Unless it's a Dino, or any of the older vintage Fiats, you would be hard pressed to find one in five digit territory.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
A Fiat Topolino (569cc; bored out to 750cc, which was the class displacement limit) or Fiat 1100 based "etceterini" with actual Mille Miglia or Targa Florio history that can be substantiated, could fetch close to $200,000 today!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
8V anyone? You would be hard pressed to find one under $200k, even a Rapi.

Anything Fiat Abarth is going through the stratosphere, too, but I think this is a slightly different story.

How many Zagato-built Panoramicas did survive and what are they worth? Scott Gauthier has a 750 but they made very weird (Read: Outstanding) ones on other chassis' ...

I think the seller is off two 0's on the 124 :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know, I always liked those little Fiat roadsters ever since seeing one on "Family Matters" back in the day (but then I have a weakness for Italian sports cars anyway, particularly roadsters)....nice to hear this is not the going price, maybe I'll try to buy one some time.

Wait, I already have an ALFA ROMEO...hmmm. :p

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Wait a minute. dabigboy doesn't mean is any Fiat worth that much?; he means is a 124 Spider worth that much? And the answer is: the best concours '78 124 Spider isn't worth half what this guy's asking.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand, I just mean this particular model is neat and I'd like to maybe have one some time, so I'm relieved to hear they're not really $40k cars. :) I was thinking in Spider-mode when I said "Fiats", plus the Spider is pretty much the only Fiat I've been exposed to. :p

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I figured that's what you were thinking about. Like for like, a Fiat 124 Spider will be cheaper than the equivalent Alfa Spider. Right now, you should be able to get a great driver with club concours potential for under $10K. It's very unlikely that they will appreciate much, so they should still be cheap if and when.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
8V anyone? You would be hard pressed to find one under $200k, even a Rapi.

Anything Fiat Abarth is going through the stratosphere, too, but I think this is a slightly different story.

How many Zagato-built Panoramicas did survive and what are they worth? Scott Gauthier has a 750 but they made very weird (Read: Outstanding) ones on other chassis' ...

I think the seller is off two 0's on the 124 :)

$200,000? More like $400,000 for a nice 8V, and $600,000 or more for a Zagato bodied one! Same price range for Siata 208s.

Scott's Fiat 750 Panoramica Zagato is probably worth $175,000-$225,000 today! I think there are only 3 or 4 750s left, and I don't know of an 1100 left anywhere.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
LOL - did y'all click on the link? It's like somebody posting a $40k Alfa Spider and people quoting prices for an ex-Nuvolari GP car!

I think the guy hit the zero key one too many times. That's not a bad car for $3950, though......I bounced around in the back of one of those for awhile when I was a kid.

·
Registered
409 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
eye [popping] candy!

Whether it's a five-figure Fiat or not, the above ebay example has to be one of the most beautiful I've seen of the 124 spiders, and I've owned two.

The color set off against those wheels is almost worth the price alone.

The interior is as good as one will ever find.

David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Whether it's a five-figure Fiat or not, the above ebay example has to be one of the most beautiful I've seen of the 124 spiders, and I've owned two.

The color set off against those wheels is almost worth the price alone.

The interior is as good as one will ever find.

David
I just can't get past those big bumpers. Gimme a chrome bumper model anyday.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, but....those bumpers!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely a pretty car and wonderful photos, but look closely at the left-front 3/4 view and the left and right rear 3/4 view...seems to have serious panel fit problems on the hood and trunk lid. Appalling, at least, in terms of the standard set by the rest of the car.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... but look closely at the left-front 3/4 view and the left and right rear 3/4 view...seems to have serious panel fit problems on the hood and trunk lid. Appalling, at least, in terms of the standard set by the rest of the car.
Now go and look at our beloved Spiders of similar vintage, and then drive one and watch the hood as you do so... (The good thing is that all of this can be corrected in both the FIAT and Alfa Spider.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Definitely a pretty car and wonderful photos, but look closely at the left-front 3/4 view and the left and right rear 3/4 view...seems to have serious panel fit problems on the hood and trunk lid. Appalling, at least, in terms of the standard set by the rest of the car.
I noticed the fit issues, too. The hood fit appears to be about the same as factory, but the trunk lid is skewed to the right; larger gap at the left. Very odd relative to the rest of the work.

Correction, it is what it takes to ask for a 5 figure price on a Fiat 124 Spider. The reserve still isn't met. Until this car actually gets a 5 figure bid, it isn't a 5 figure priced car.
Russ, I get how auctions and markets work, but I also understand the difference between the price a car may fetch on any given day at any particular auction, and a generally-agreed range of values for that car. That's why if, for whatever circumstances of auction conditions and bidders, one particular Ferrari which should be worth $200K sells for 'only' $100K, we don't say 'the market has spoken; that's what this car is worth'; we say 'someone got a real bargain'. All I said was "here's what it takes to get into five-figure prices...", and I'll stand by that, whether or not this particular car makes its owner's reserve on this particular eBay auction. A condition 2 Spider (local concours) is worth over $10,000 any day of the week. And even with the trunk lid issue, does anybody think that this one isn't a #2?

·
Registered
492 Posts
As for the condition of this car, I do not think I have ever seen a Fiat of that vintage which such an unmoletsed and sound looking undercarriage. If the rest of the car is of that original condition, it is a very nice car indeed, although maybe not of that price. The '79 is not an expecially good year, pre FI and not too much power or driveability. But the car looks legitimate, hard to tell if it is a respray. Notice that the dash is covered under one of those dash mat things. Says it a two-owner with original papers, but not too much told about the car otherwise. BTW, for those who have never been ina Fiat Spider, noticeably more interior room than the Alfa and maybe it is heresy to say on this board, but a nicer engine note, too.

S

·
0 Posts
About those bumpers, I hear you. I don't find them that bad; however, like you, I certainly prefer the earlier style bumper, and those can be fitted, which would undoubtedly improve the look.

Someone very wise recently commented to me about the "Italian bumper situation" during/at/around the 80s, saying that the Italians saw the American bumper laws as nothing more than a pain in the you know what, and were so put off by it that it became an afterthought rather than a stylistic choice. I think the results of that era (for Fiat and Alfa, anyway) affirm this opinion. And where the Italians saw a restrictive, assinine law, the Japanese saw an opportunity. Before long, the rest was history in the fate of those two empires on American soil. Frankly, I thought at the time (and still do) that this was a sage point of view, and **** accuate.

The fitment issue I did not notice. I will take your word for it, although it probably isn't noticeable to someone like me who isn't adept at spotting it.

Is it worth the asking? It might be to someone. A lot would depend on the engine and how the car runs. To re-create the interior and the paint/wheels on a similar model would be quite expensive I imagine, putting aside the engine question, which we really don't know.

I have a real love for these cars, hence I would rather own this one than say a S4 Alfa spider (which has a rear end that I find more like a Ford, than anything Italian). And no Fiat I've ever driven had synchro problems (each of the four I've owned - including two spiders and two X19s - shifted without restriction, as did the ones I drove but didn't own). That said, I'd rather have a '67 Duetto than this one (on looks). That said, I'd rather have a '67 Fiat Dino Coupe than that one (again, on looks). Smile.

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts