Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks (and smells) as if my clutch is going...just a day after I finished the water pump and crankshaft seal replacement. That said, are all clutch kits created equal, i.e. should I just buy the standard issue one from Centerline, or are there better kits out there on the market?

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
There was a long discussion on this very subject about 6 months ago. I suggest that you do a search. I decided to buy a good used pressure plate rather than risk a new one.

·
Premium Member
21,199 Posts
If you can find actual Fichtel & Sachs, probably a good bet. I've had mixed/poor quality from LUK, OK quality from Valeo. It can be hard to know where you parts are made, Europe, Middle East, China, US, Mexico, etc.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
There is evidence that the new Sachs clutches are also sub-standard. I made sure that the one that went in my car was made in Germany.

To the original poster: Take a good look at your pressure plate and if it looks OK just replace the friction disc. Same with the release bearing - if it is smooth with no play then re-use it. The bearing surfgaces on the original pressure plates are made of an aluminum alloy but many of the currently available aftermarket ones are all steel. I was able to buy the original type from Classic Alfa in the UK.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
SPEC is a US aftermarket supplier of performance oriented clutches. They list a range of clutches for Alfa, including our 105 and up series cars. I think Paul Spruell now sells SPEC clutches.

You can also buy specific performance rated clutches from Classic Alfa and Alfaholics.

As Andrew says, however, an expedient solution is to simply find a good used oem German-made F&S pressure plate and fit a new clutch disc and throwout bearing. Vintage racers have used these stock F&S clutch plates for years with little trouble. My F&S clutch plate is dated 1987, was in perfect condition (they rarely wear out), and has many miles in my much modified 2 liter engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts