Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if it's been discussed already, but can the ARC display be affected by cold temperatures? I have a repaired ARC (thanks Mark) that's operated perfectly for a few months. When the colder weather arrived last month it began to flake out- either staying blank or giving random indications. Last week we had a couple of 60 degree days and the display worked normally. Yesterday it was in the 30's and the display went blank until I got the car back in the garage, turned off and then restarted. On the restart the ARC was back to normal. Is this just something I have to live with until Spring?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,084 Posts
See here:

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ARC was repaired this summer by a member of this forum using your procedure replacing the voltage regulator. It worked fine until the weather turned cold. Repair was successful because it didn't work at all when I got the car. As I wrote, when warm it seems OK. I can live with it if I have to.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,084 Posts
Okay, read down the thread. Some of the voltage regulators are only rated down to freezing. There are some mentioned that work better at super-low temperatures.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay that must explain it. Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been meaning to pull the ARC on my Milano Gold and have it repaired; which forum member should I contact? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
John - I'd recommend cleaning all the ground points on the front of the car next to the radiator (both sides). Including the main ground from the battery. This helped with the cold issue on my Milano.

If the cold temp issue still bothers you, I would be glad to try swapping in one of the "better" regulators. I used a 7805, which is what I have in mine, when I reworked yours. I had that on hand.

I can get a couple of LM2940T-5 or DE-SW050 regulators and give it a try again. Let me know if it is a big enough issue to try this.

ValVeloce - If you want, PM me. Depending on what the issues are, I may be able to help out.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try cleaning grounds soon. I've found that ARC is only AWOL after first start of the day. After it warms it's perfect; not enough of a nuisance to redo. Just another Alfa quirk.
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts