Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple of thoughts and pics. I've had the 75 for 5 months now, give or take. Fun car which I really enjoy. When I bought it, the ARC was "full on" most of the time. Once in great while it worked properly. Tried Gubi's fix and it didn't "fix" so I simply unplugged it. No biggie as I track all the stuff it does the old fashioned way and frankly dont care about the door ajar indicators. The only thing I didn't care for was the absence of a charging light. So for a few months I've been kicking around a panel to replace the ARC. In these few months, the ignition system and switch has displayed an attitude similar to a stubborn 6 year old so I wanted to bypass this mess as well. Bypassing everything in the ign switch except the lock function paid dividends in starter function as now it is much nicer - and - the car lights off instantly now as opposed to needing a few cranks. The starter seems to be getting full juice when toggled "on". Today the relay at the starter and hopefully button it up.

This weekend, I did. I took this pile of stuff and made this nifty lil control panel. Along with the volt meter, I added an engine oil temp gauge. Not sure why. My gut says "why not" but I had one of these on my Scirocco and like it so "why not". Not sure what's more amazing to me: that it all works without frying the car or setting it alight or...that I came up with this stuff in my head. Some pics: ciao jc

I do want to thank Papajam. Gubi and Goats. I on occasion PM these guys asking what might be silly questions but they help me out and make things easily understood. Without their help and knowledge I gain from these messages as well as reading what they have to say, this would have been way more difficult than it was. Thanx!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Nice work.
Please show a picture when it's installed.
I pulled the bulbs out of my ARC. I never missed the charge light but my son did drive with the parking brake on until he noticed a smell.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx

here's how it looks for the most part. Everything works but had an "issue". I was function checking everything and had no tail or brake or fogs in the rear. Ruh Roh...Apparently the ARC talks to the rear lights. Namely the tail, fog and brake. So I plugged the ARC unit back in and got lights. By unit, I mean all the circuit board stuff under the dash. I'll sort what cables talk to the rear and then hopefully modify things so I have lights by bypassing the ARC circuitry. Matching tach on d/s still to be wired. Thanx for the compliments. ciao jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,875 Posts
Well, that's interesting anyway. Will give you actual information instead of flashing lights. Maybe you might have used black faced gauges so that they match? You will have to cover that aluminum plate with, say, dark leatherette also to match? Do the gauges have backlights?

Maybe next time the ARC goes out in our Milano (I got a used one for little), I'll try something like what you have done, although don't need a spare tach. I like the oil temperature though, as my original Sprint GT had as stock.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I gave some thought to covering the panel but prefer the aluminum look. This car is my cruder - lack of a better word - boy racer plaything. Dare I say like a rowdy girlfriend? With the instruments, I almost went black face - can we say that? but chose the ones I got and they are indeed backlit with soft green lighting that complements the dash lighting on the 75 - also soft green. Don't really need a spare tach but kinda like the setup. The one on the dash reads high compared to my timing light readout. All AutoMeter Phantom series from Summit. Moroso switchgear and Elco LEDs. ciao, chris

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I've decided to go a differnt direction so my Milano won't get modified anymore but I had ideas of installing a Stack unit. Big$$ but there might be cheaper imitations now.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,520 Posts
You need the computer by the glove box plugged in or, as you found, some stuff doesn't work. You can unplug the line to the warning lights in the center stack without issue.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gulp, that is spendy but pretty nice....never heard of that company but they look like they have some pretty neat stuff from perusing thier website and Jegs. ciao jc

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yeah look at the connectors in my image, that's all top quality stuff the pro teams use. I have the Autometer gauges in my race car and they work great. I did have a mechanical oil pressure gauge fail ( leaked inside the gauge) but Autometer replaced it with no questions asked. I think they are a great value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts