Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more that a decade my body is going into the spray booth this week. Very excited here. Bruce's book and website definitely nominate AR521 as the chosen red for Montreals. However, a lot of "experts" around here reckon it is AR501. Can anyone help me because I'll only get 1 go at this.

Thanks, fellas (and girl)
Rob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After more that a decade my body is going into the spray booth this week. Very excited here. Bruce's book and website definitely nominate AR521 as the chosen red for Montreals. However, a lot of "experts" around here reckon it is AR501. Can anyone help me because I'll only get 1 go at this.

Thanks, fellas (and girl)
Rob
This is AR521 and doesn't look red enough to me. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Hi Rob, I had hoped that someone here would pick up the baton and run with it. Choosing paint colors or deciding which one is 'the one' seems more like a Jedi mind trick; the closer you get to a paint booth the tougher the decision gets.

Keeping in mind that my monitor most likely does not match your monitor and neither does my eye match your eye; there will be some variation. When looking at the sample you photographed, the red seems a little 'milky' to me. The Duetto in the photo was painted in 1984, using 'AR-501' (1968) red acrylic lacquer. It is a very nice version of Alfa red.
501 red v parts washer.jpg

The parts washer was probably powder coated last year and it seems to be a milky red compared with the Duetto.
501 Lacquer.jpg

The first Alfa that I ever had painted was a dark blue 1974 Spider. I told the owner of the shop that I wanted the car painted "very similar to the original color and if it was just slightly darker that was okay but I did not want it any lighter". Fortunately it turned out just right for me -without ever looking at a book or samples!

I am sure you will be happy with the new paint job!

Mark

·
Registered
839 Posts
Every paint system has a slightly different formula when it comes to any of the paints available. Provided you have a competent painter, he should work with the recommended formula ( X parts Red, y parts White, Z parts Yellow, etc) and them add or change the composition to get more Red or less. The final result will be a balance, and should meet what you want. If not, change the mix until it does. I know because I have worked for years in the design studios developing exterior colors for new models. Now there is a whole department doing this for all the OEM's. Regardless, the final color should meet your expectations and always check the paint sample outside in the natural sunlight. I have found that the "best" Red usually had some small amount of Magenta and Yellow Ochre tint mixed in.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I really don't have an opinion on your body, but 501 on the Montreal would look great!
Here's a pic of 501 on my '71 GTV that is pretty true to the real life color.

2019-San-Marino-Motor-Classic Sports Car Digest.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
As Karl stated, whatever the colour/color :), it has to meet your expectations. AR521 I had seen on quite a few Monty's didn't quite do it for me, but luckily a Dino 246 popped out of the paint booth at decision time. I recall it had a modified Ferrari red formula, minus some white. Choice made. Red is red, how hard can it be? ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mark, Karl, Andy and Les for your input.

I haven't been this anxious since my son was born and I needed all the support I could get. Finally, after nearly 20 years, I'm at this stage and I only now realise that I wasn't ready for it. Karl's AR521 looks sensational. The only reason why the ribbon is red and not blue was so it would match the paintwork. AR521 it is for me, too, I've decided, so if I don't like it I can blame Bertone and not myself. I'm told that AR521 is the one on the left in the attached. It doesn't look red to me, but that's what I'm going with.

Cheers
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good question, Karl. I'll find out. Do you think that's more like 521? I'm scared I'll be driving a peach coloured car. Very gay!

·
Registered
257 Posts
The ONLY important thing is what you like and what you think. Have fun!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're right, Andy.

Originally I was going to go for a modern pearl red like the colour on those modern Mazda's. But then it dawned on me that it was too dark and wouldn't stand out in a crowd. Like Les said, red is red. No big deal. Thanks for your interest.

Rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts