Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a source for Alfa paint code AR519 (Rosso Zagato). The Ditzler/PPG # is 72050 & the DuPont # is 42636. Nobody seems to supply this. I realize it’s an old & obscure color; any ideas?

-Joh

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Best would be to color match to the paint on an inside color if still available. Me thinks most have been repainted in any Alfa red color but Zagato colors were slightly different.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
The Glasurit Color Online web site here lists mixtures for AR 519 Rosso Zagato in Glasurit Paint Lines 22, 55 and 90.

In addition to color code AR 519, they also list, on mouse-over over the number "519", the code "DITZ 72050", which obviously is the Ditzler number, and another Code "PRDNR D3132", but I have no idea what paint manufacturer this code refers to.

So, you may want to talk to somebody who speaks Glasurit about what's available.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tubut,

Thanks for the info. I looked on the Glasurit site and then called a distributor; they are looking into it and will get back to me. I'm coming to a dead end on the Ditzler/PPG number; nobody seems to have it or recognize the number. If all else fails I'll do what mbaum suggests - color match from my engine compartment. It would be good to know if the Zagato specific colors are available (all the shades) for other owners down the road.
2020_03190006.JPG

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Don't forget that one of the difficulties with Junior Z colors is that there were so many!!!

If I recall correctly, the Junior Z holds Alfa's record for the number of colors available from the factory (followed by the Montreal being a distant second, but still far ahead of any other car models). Hence, quantities are probably far too low for support by paint manufacturers (whose core business is not repairs and restorations).

On top of that is the fact that, over the last century, there have been a lot of mergers and acquisitions and selling off of divisions from one paint manufacturer to another. Stuff was shut down or got lost in transition -- or could no longer be supported by switching to less toxic paint systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts