Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been enjoying my Jr Zagato for a few months now. Time to do a proper introduction.

According to Marco Fazio "the chassis number AR 1800499 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo 1300 Junior Z (105.93), manufactured on the 26th November 1970 and sold on the 29th December 1970 in Cantiano, Italy.
The body colour is white, with black skai interiors."

According to the seller the first owner of the car lived in Cagli, also in the Pesaro and Urbino province and only 10 kilometers from Cantiano, and owned the car up to 2001. The car was used sparingly and the claimed mileage at this time was 41 000 km.

The second owner had the car repainted in the original white and the engine, suspension and breaks overhauled. He then used the car even more sparingly, putting only 1200 km on the car until 2015. The ownership was then transferred to a lady who quickly sold the car to the man I bought the car from in February 2016.

I can verify the ownership history from 2001 by the computerized records, prior to that it is presumably hidden in a dusty archive.

The odometer showed close to 42 500 km when I bought the car which is very low for a 45 year old car. The general condition of the car speaks in favor of the mileage. It is essentially rust free and the interior is in very good condition (except for the sagging headliner and the carpet being scuffed and worn where people drag their foot on the inner sill when getting in and out of the car).

This car will be driven - no matter what the real mileage is - I have sofar put 700 km on it and will soon overtake the second owner!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Except for the wheels, looks just like the one I drove around Europe before shipping it to the US in 1975. After several owners, it is now being completely restored by "braino".

Amazing that you found one in such good original condition with such low mileage.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Congrats, Sune. And welcome. Looks like a fun little ride.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks great!

Mine is also a white 1300, but an Italian native. Reminds me I need to sort through the paperwork I have to document the ownership chain like you have done.

Incidentally, I have a 1600 Sprint that was a Swedish car its whole life until I bought it a couple of years ago. The owner used it in the midnight sun rally in 2010.

Scott

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Craterface;7075449 Incidentally said:
This piqued my interest! There was one Giulia Sprint in the official 2010 rally (diven by Gunnar Dackevall with Kenneth Olausson as co-driver), but this one is still in Sweden according to the vehicle registry.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not my day

A less than observant driver decided to reverse out of his drive way and into me while I was waiting for a red light. Seeing him coming and with an increasing feeling of the inevitable I was frantically pushing the center of the steering wheel instead of the horn buttons :crying2: :cursing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So sorry, man. I hate when that happens (And it happened to me on my 911, the Alfa and a Vignale Appia). This looks very fixable and you will likely get a better car once an expert panel man is done with it. Nothing that could be easily reversed. Though so aggravating when it happens. Keep us posted.

Mike

·
Registered
587 Posts
****. That's insane. Glad you're ok. I could tell some stories about close calls. The reality is that people driving modern cars cannot see you. We're profoundly low to the ground by comparison - often below the line of sight for most cars.

Mike is right, though. That'll pull out pretty easily. There is an internal box member right around the middle of that dent but it should come out ok, too.

Good luck and keep us updated on progress (with insurance and repairs)!

cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The insurance company has, so far, been very good and nice to deal with. But it is, of course, the other guys insurance company that eventually will have to pick up the tab. It looks like I can choose who does the work but the body guy at my preferred shop is on vacation (that is what the month of July is for in Sweden) so I will have to wait a few weeks for the insurance company to approve the estimate.

Since the car was already dented - and the slightly prepped 156 GTA that I normally use has an issue with retaining the engine oil - I decided to take it to a track day with the Alfa club. It was quite fun to drive on the track but slow compared to the "competition".

On the way to and from the track it happily cruised at 110-120 kmh although noise cancelling head phones and a good sound track is a definite bonus. I need to do something about the noise insulation or I will never be able to convince my wife that this is a good car for longer trips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Heyyyyyy...good to see the JZ again and congrats Sune with the purchase. Spotted the JZ when it was offered for sale and was tempted to jump on the plain to Ancona. Due to some other JZ (a 1600) I did not shifted gears to follow up on this one.
However it's a pitty to see the damage but the good thing it looks very repairable, and with no further effect on the structure of the car.
Keep us posted about the outcome.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some confusion between the workshop and the insurance company plus vacations has delayed things but everything is sorted out now. Dropped off the car at the workshop today. Hopefully I will have it back soon and in good shape.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This piqued my interest! There was one Giulia Sprint in the official 2010 rally (diven by Gunnar Dackevall with Kenneth Olausson as co-driver), but this one is still in Sweden according to the vehicle registry.
Missed this post back in June. This is the car. Lives with me in Florida now.
Lots of fun.
Scott

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up the car from the workshop a while ago. Not entirely happy with the result but they will get a second shot at getting it right.

The trip back was my first longer drive in the dark with the high beams on. After a while I could feel the distinct smell of overheated electrical parts. Slowing down and driving behind another car with only the low beams on took care of that but I guess some rewiring with relays for the head lights is in order. Something to add to the small list of electrical gremlins.

- Some of the bulbs for the instruments are dead. Do I need to remove the dashboard to get at them and how complicated is that?
- The fuel gauge is interesting. I've never been able to fill it up with more than 35 liters when the gauge indicates the (supposedly 50 liter tank) is empty. In addition the low fuel lamp works in reverse. It is on with a full tank and goes off when the gauge indicates close to empty. Any ideas what might cause this?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I've never been able to fill an Alfa tank to the amount the manual says the size is. I think they always fudge on the tank size.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time for an update! First off, the repair of the dent turned out quite nice. Except for the painter overspraying in the wheelwell.

I haven't done much over the winter and what I have done have been not been completely successful. The door check straps were, shall we say, a bit worn and imaginatively repaired so I replaced those with new rollers and pins. After doing the drivers side door I realized that the rollers probably would benefit from some lubrication. Not a big issue in the warmth of the garage where the drivers side door was just a little stiffer than the lubricated passenger side door. Unfortunately spring decided to go on a break and with the current cold weather there is a loud squeaking noice when opening the drivers side door. Irritating but no big deal to do over and do it right.

The second item was to rewire some of the electrics. The prime objective was to avoid overloading the headlight switches by putting in some relays, the secondary objective was - since I am absent minded - to have the lights turn off when the ignition is turned off. After hours of measuring cables, crimping and tucking everything away as tidily as possible I had what to an amateur looked like nice installation (although blade fuses might be a tad too modern) that is hardly visible unless you look for it. The only thing is that I forgot that the car has rear and parking lights so while the head lights turn off, the rear and parking lights stay on unless I remember to turn them off! Back to the drawing board!

Finally a question: Any suggestions for what to do about surface rust like this in the cavity behind the head lights? My normal inclination would be to go at it with a suitable power tool but it seems to be nearly impossible to get at all of it without picking the car to pieces, then add some good primer and a dab of paint. My endoscope also tells me there is some surface rust inside the sills but much less of it. Rust protection does not seem to have been a priority at Zagato.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nothing much has happened here. Just been driving and enjoying the car. I put a few thousand kilometers on her this summer, including a drive up the 18% incline to the top of a local landmark known as "Kvarntorpshögen" where I took some pictures. This is a 100 meter high heap of spent oil shale which mostly dates back to the second world war although production went on until the sixties. The stuff is slightly radioactive and is still burning deep down inside, with temperatures as high as 700 degree Celsius in places and the occasional whiff of Sulfur. It also doubles as a sculpture park which explains the odd looking objects in the background.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts