Alfa Romeo Forums banner

381 - 400 of 406 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Ummm, you didn't have the rock chip protection film put on the front, etc?

I regret not doing that when I had my 91S repainted.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Screw it - I don't have rock chip protection on any of my cars. And when I got the Junior Z, the paint was shinier than a mirror. I have collected chips on hood and on lower end of the rear wheel arches. Ditto for the hood of my 911. Like my beautiful wrinkles, it adds character ...

Reactions: braino

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Winter tune up

Pulled the Z out of storage to move it to a new space. This gave me the chance to take it for an hour long tear around San Pablo Dam road and through the Berkeley Hills (not too fast though - lots of bicycles and pedestrians here).

Just wanted people to know that it still here. This channel can get really quiet.

Morgan Langley and I would chat once or twice a week about our various projects and drives in our Z's, passing photos of cars we saw during the week and discussing the upgrades and improvements we had planned for the next year. It was great having that ongoing conversation going. It's amazing that it's been six months since his passing!

I'd encourage those of you who are part of the tiny Jr Z community to stay in touch. It's always great hearing from you and seeing your cars in action. I know from personal experience that it keeps us behind the wheel, too. Feel free to post to this thread - it would make me happy to see a few of your cars getting up to trouble once in a while! Anyone having any adventures? (maybe you Aussies - seeing as it's still Summer there).

Stay safe.

cheers,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You're right Brian. This section of the forum is way too inactive. This and the Giulia section are the only sections I view... so its noticeably quiet by comparison. The rarity of the car probably has much to do with this but your call for more postings is seconded by me. Unfortunately my car is in hibernation for the winter, but as soon as spring comes I'll be posting again.

Here are some random photos from last summer 'caus we all like photos.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hey guys

I haven't driven my Z in 3 years
Drove from Sydney to Melboune to Sydney for an Alfa car show.
Won the Zagato Class,,drove it home and have not driven it since.

Im getting inspired again.

Might let my son take it to work at the Alfa dealership to get it detailed.

Robert

Sydney Australia

Wanted to add some photos,,but seems to hard at the moment

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
"I haven't driven my Z in 3 years"

Lol, I heard someone say that those who do not drive their Alfas don't deserve to have them.

Reactions: giulia_veloce

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The best part of owning a Z is the drive. Yes, I too sometimes don't take it out of storage for months at a time but after a short spirited drive, I wonder why I don't drive it every day!

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Two very nice Alfas in that picture. My first one was a 64 Sprint GT, looking like that one, and I had driven Braino's Z all over Europe before he eventually ended up with it. Of course, at that time it was a gutless wonder with the 1300 engine in it, but still... still can't believe how little it cost in 1975 when we bought and picked it up for the new buyer back in the States.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I purchased my Z in NL in 2010 and drove it all over Europe too. I took it to the Alfa Centennial in Milano then back to NL via twisty mountain roads and country roads in France. Even in 2010 the Z was cheap for what it is. Now they are much more in line with what they should be worth. Unfortunately for those wanting one.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
I will never point fingers at someone for not driving their alfa for a few years. Figure my Z was off the road for more than five years during the restoration - several of those my only car was a BMW wagon. I have three alfas now and it's often tough to figure out which one I want to drive. My go-to for rallies and longer drives is my Giulia - mostly due to the incredibly sad state of California roads. It sits about two inches taller than stock on very stiff springs - great option for trucking down dirt roads and driving in and out of pot-holes.

It's great that most of the Z folks I know have 3-10 cars (often of highly disparate marquee). It's a reflection of our appreciation for this very alfa-not-alfa car that we own. Our little Zagatos are a mystery to most - rare as hens teeth but perhaps not so exotic as to inspire the lustful dreams that inspire the high $$ value of a Bora or 250GTO. Still, the proof is in the pudding.

Anyone else?

cheers,
Brian

Reactions: giulia_veloce

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
zagato in blue

Fred - that color really lights up in the sun. Love it. Your car is really a thing of beauty. Thanks for posting.

I purchased my Z in NL in 2010 and drove it all over Europe too. I took it to the Alfa Centennial in Milano then back to NL via twisty mountain roads and country roads in France. Even in 2010 the Z was cheap for what it is. Now they are much more in line with what they should be worth. Unfortunately for those wanting one.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks. I agree the blue is nice on the Z. I prefer the brown interior over the black (like I've got) but with so few of these cars, I was lucky to get a color I liked. I'm kind of partial to that Zagato green as well :p

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #393
Another year of Zagato driving has almost passed. I'll be moving the car to winter storage tomorrow - might try and take it out for a drive in February (down the coast to Big Sur or something) but for the time being it'll be getting some shade in a garage full of other vintage cars. Come March, my Z will probably be going to a shop for a few fixes to the hood and hatch. The finish on the hood cracked almost immediately as a I got the car home. It's going to require a bit of modification to prevent it from flexing and cracking again. Similarly, the hatch needs a bit of re-alignment to open property (it currently binds at the top) so I can install the locking arm that holds it open. Looking forward to getting this stuff done!

I recently had the front end aligned and discovered that the camber was way off. I've only driven it a bit since but I was a bit surprised how much the handling changed with that correction (for the better).

Anyone else getting out on the road with their cars?

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
155 Posts
As your driving season winds down, mine in FL is cranking up. Temps and humidity are down, thankfully. I took #291 out the other night after work for an Italian tune up. Jan 5th is our third annual Alfas and friends road rally. About 350 miles of country road driving through the woods of south central FL. I used a topo map to plot out a decent course that actually has some curves and and even some hills near Frostproof, FL. We finish at an Italian restaurant in Lake Wales FL. It’s a fun mix of cars, ranging from a 64 Spider, to the JrZ, to Alfetta based cars, to 4Cs. And the JrZ is a such a sweet handler. —Scott

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Well, can't drive that particular Z anymore, since I don't have the keys to it nowadays, lol. Cannot believe that was 43 years ago. Glad you are having fun with it in it's refurbed condition and bigger engine. Must be very nice, indeed.

Did take the 164S out for a nice drive after finally getting a new clutch after 190k miles and adjusting the toe (a problem with the 164, esp the high neg camber S). The 164, totally unappreciated as 164s are, does go very well, with all the right Alfa sounds, etc.

Granted, it is not an updated restored Z, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here in the UK ours is tucked up for winter now. Three big outings this year, our relocation from Italy to England road trip, long weekend in The Netherlands in August and displayed on Alfa Romeo stand at the UK classic motor show last month. Next year we plan to attend the 50th anniversary if the JZ event. We have owned our original condition 1600 since 1988.

Attachments

Reactions: Craterface

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Brian,

With 2019 being 100 years of Zagato I am getting my Jr.Z back on the road. It just came back from fresh paint. I took the new engine components in for balance this morning, (2L t-spark w/ 45's). It will go together fast once I assemble the engine. So, look for me on the road probably February. If I don't hear of a West Coast Zagato events (other than Pebble), I'll plan one!

Dan

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Thanks for kick-starting this sub-forum again Brian.
Yes, 100 years of Zagato will see a few shows featuring the marque. The Spettacolo Sportivo in the Netherlands at Zandvoort will we be one of the largest. That is around the end of August 2019. This spring in Greenwich CT the concorso will honor Zagato as well. They are accepting entries now

I was able to enjoy my car a bit this past season but the more practical Super and AlfaSud got more miles put on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
OK. More fun in the Z ahead...

Taking the car on the Motherlode this weekend. Stopping to get new tires on the way. I'm going to thin down to 185 Avons.

I'll try and get some good photos.

I expect the car to be off the road for at least a year after this to refine a few things under the hood and in the interior. I've never wanted to make this car a garage queen but there are a couple of details that have bothered me since the start - one of which is the oil pressure gauge which is not the correct Euro market but a non-functional US market unit.

I'm also going to get new door cards and change out the door latches. I have a pair that I acquired from Rich Ott not too long before he passed away. I have since been reunited with the original units and plan on restoring and installing so that I can use the original key again. Sounds like a small job but getting these parts back into good condition is going to require a lot of cleaning, plating and polishing.

cheers,
Brian

381 - 400 of 406 Posts