Alfa Romeo Forums banner

341 - 360 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Gaskets around the front trim is not stock. Given the potential for scratches and rain coming in, most of us have fitted a DUY solution, including me. A simple u-shaped rubber piece. Mine is simply put over the metal, not even clued down and it fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
I tacked mine on (nose trim rubber) just to simplify installation but you're certainly correct.

Received the plexi clips from Afra. What a great little invention. The plexi is now perfectly snug to the trim and after a bit more jiggering, the trim looks pretty much aligned to the unaided eye.

My final and ongoing challenge is dealing with the rear bumper rubber. I've had a number of sessions where I've attempted installation and had basically no luck. It seems than an almost Herculean effort would be required. I'm going to take Tuesday morning off from work and go to a resto shop to seek help.

Meanwhile, I discovered a little (but unpleasant) electrical gremlin. The combination of fan and left turn signal blows fuse 3. I'm wondering if it's a ground issue.

I took the car for a very aggressive jaunt (up a long steep hill in traffic) in 100deg weather and had some pretty wild variances in engine temp. It's not entirely surprising but nor is it ideal. Clearly still some bugs to work out. One thing at a time though.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Brian,

I've started taking my JZ apart and I'm a bit confused with the war you repaired your outer sill.
You have maintained the joint visible between the front fender and the sill under the door, GT/Spider style but all the JZ's I see have it hidden.

Any particular reason for doing this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Not sure who's car that is. It's not mine. You're right though, no joint between the front fender and the rocker.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not sure who's car that is. It's not mine. You're right though, no joint between the front fender and the rocker.
ooppps! :surprise: Sorry, thought I got this pic from this thread!

Thanks for the input! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
No worries. That's a 1600, too based on the second pic. Same color as mine tho :)

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
"fini"

After giving in and turning to my friend Hugo for help (Sid's Custom Upholstery, if you ever need a serious pro) getting the rear bumper rubber installed.

It turns out that the repro profile isn't hollow like the original stuff, which makes it nearly impossible to install. It was very time consuming and quite expensive. After watching Hugo work on it for an hour it was very clear that I would not have been able to do it properly.

Anyway, I'm going to consider the car complete (mark that, July 6, 2016). There are a few things that need to be addressed (rear insignias, the diff is going to need a rebuild soon, etc) but I need to focus on other projects and the Z is really as nice as it needs to be for me. I'll continue to update with adventures driving it, and the occasional bit of work. Can't believe that it's back on the road and in the condition its in. Pat's eyes would probably pop out of his head if he saw it...

Keep posting folks. Glad that we have a way to stay in touch!

cheers,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
974 Posts
Congratulations, that's awesome! Can't wait to see it next time.

Now enough of that Z, tell us about that dope slammed Lexus in the background :p

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
There are four or five similarly appointed Lexus' on my street. Someone is doing a great business in aftermarket wheels for these cars - it's usually the only improvement made.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Oh, I'm soooo jealous. Looks so much nicer than when we drove it in '75. Congratulations. Please take care of it.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
ignition failure

I drove the car down to Hollister CA with one of my business partners Friday PM with the goal of participating in the Faultline 500 rally. The car was great until the late morning on Saturday when the 123ignition fritzed out on me.

I chatted with the US dealer today who mentioned that they've had a few other heat related failures. It wasn't that hot that day so heat seems an unlikely cause - I'm wondering if the capacitor in the coil hasn't gone bad.

Regardless, I'm sending him the unit and he's going to install the bluetooth chip, fixing/upgrading my unit. A good friend of mine designed an ignition curve that he says is better than any of the options available on the micro-switch unit. Hopefully, I'll have the car back on the street by the beginning of August.

Meanwhile, here are a few more photos for those of you who cannot see the car in person. It's looking pretty amazing. Lots of positive words from folks who were at the rally starting point. I'll admit, the myriad flaws and imperfections are starting to fade from my mind a bit. It's a great car.

I've left off the rear script and "Junior Z" insignias for now. I'm actually wondering if I don't just leave them off for good. The tail looks great as it is. Anyone disagree or share my opinion? I'd welcome your feedback.

Also in this car's future - the outer bearings in the rear-end are going to need replacing. They can get pretty noisy when they're hot.

I'm attaching some additional photos for those of you who can't see the car in person. Hopefully they give you a sense of what it's like...

cheers,
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Its looking great! Yes, on the Alfa logo script.... not bothered about the Jr script.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
OK. Two votes for the script. I can go with that. Thanks for the push!

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Third vote for all the scripts. It makes the car. I remember that I bought a new Alfa Romeo script for mine to replace a pitted one. The size was wrong to the original one and the whole hole situation did not work out.

So I threw the reproduction away and had mine re-chromed.

Mike

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
My original script is covered in black paint. It's hard to tell the condition. I need to strip it and see...

B

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
I vote for the lovely classic script as well, in chrome, maybe off to the rhs.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Just stripped mine. The chrome is terrible - it'll definitely need to be redone.

Details, details.

cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Just get a good one off another Alfa such as a parted out 164.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
I got that Bluetooth 123ignition back from them a week or so ago. Installed it over the weekend and uploaded the programming etc. Not sure what the deal is but after five hours of non-starting, we swapped in the old pertronix. The car started immediately.

Seems like I've got another compromised unit on my hands. I'm going to call the manufacturer today and try and find out what's what...

Meanwhile, I'm heading to the Danville Concorso this weekend. I'll post some pics after.

cheers,
Brian

341 - 360 of 406 Posts