Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 did not have any engine hood insulation, so I bought a new pad from Mr. FIAT. It appears to fit perfectly except there are no cut outs for the engine hood light and the two air inlets. Has anyone put a new pad in and arranged the slit openings in the pad for both the air inlets and the engine compartment light? i need some hints as to what to do?

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
The one I bought from Classic Alfa came without the cuts, as well. However, it also did not fit correctly, so I'm about to send it back.

Check closely that the width toward the rear of the pad is sufficient to stuff the edges under the flanges on either side. If it is, cutting the slits and holding all the stuff in place with the original forms intended for that should be a small issue. If you didn't have any insulation at all, I'm wondering if the hold-in pieces are missing as well?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i have also discovered that it is too narrow towards the rear to fit under the lip. As you point out there is nothing to hold it in place nor do i see any reference to them or the insulation in the parts manual. I assumed also the silver side was what showed if it were to be installed but not so sure.

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
The parts manual shows a steel bar that fits across the underside of the hood, and a set of formed plates that hold the insulation pad up into the hood scoops.

I ended up making my own insulation pad from high+temp, foil covered pad bought from Summit racing, additionally covered with ironing board hi-temp silver fabric.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The parts manual shows a steel bar that fits across the underside of the hood, and a set of formed plates that hold the insulation pad up into the hood scoops.

I ended up making my own insulation pad from high+temp, foil covered pad bought from Summit racing, additionally covered with ironing board hi-temp silver fabric.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The pads from Mr. Fiat are not the correct size, being too narrow at the rear. They are also poor quality material. Unfortunately, it cost me to find this out. Not correct for 2600 or 2000.

·
Push hard and live
8,976 Posts
It sounds like the same manufacturer is providing these pads to several distributors. Mine has yet to go back to Classic Alfa, but they’ve assured me they’ll not only accept it, they’ll pay the freight back to the UK. Last I checked, Mr. Fiat wasn’t quite so supportive.

With the bloom in 102 values, quite a few reproparts have been rushed to market that aren’t really up to snuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oops....this is cast iron 2000 not touring2.I was setting up a new phone and thought touring2 was a password.I will have to delete this “handle”😁

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just fixed the under the hood padding of my AR 2000 Touring Spider, last summer. The car hasn't been driven for some years, after a very bad repair of what the garage suspected was a blown head gasket. It turned out to be a crack in the cylinder head as well as sucking in cooling fluid through the inlet manifold (something Jay Nuxoll suspected years ago when the initial problems started). Now, that is all fixed, I hope, and I am in the process of getting the car roadworthy again. In addition, I have started to install all the bits and pieces that I gathered over the years (a.o a Magnetisms Marelli S73B distributor and an engine shield from Franco Veloce - great stuff!).

Two of the bits and pieces were an under the hood lamp and hood insulation. Originally I sourced padding from AFRA which is identical to that of Mr FIAT. It looked very close to what has been described at AlfaBB as original, but it was too small and had become very brittle over the years. I sourced some pre-shaped padding from Classic Alfa and installed that instead. It is a very tight fit and slightly too small in the rear corners (i.e. on the hinged side).

The biggest challenge was to install the under the hood elements that allow air to come through the hood scoops. Franco Veloce had made some for me a couple of year ago. It was very nicely made, but consisted of separate parts for each nostril, rather than the single structure depicted in the parts book and on different pictures around on the net. I decided to try to re-create the parts myself and I am very pleased with the result.

It was somewhat difficult to install the bits and pieces on the hood with the padding in place. The insulation is rathler thick when compressed, and did not allow the elements to fit decently. After removal of some of the inside of the padding near the hood openings, I got a decent fit. I think that the result is okay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts