Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor has been completely rebuilt by Jim over at Alfaman in Novato. Feel free to call Jim directly about any questions you may have regarding the engine build at (415) 382-6020.

Motor only has break-in miles on it since the rebuild. The decision to pull it out of my Super was to have the more practical and torquey 2.0 liter motor in the sedan. There was also a persistent oil leak that was identified from a faulty seal and has since been replaced.

The following parts have been rebuilt on this motor.
  1. 1600 pistons & liners
  2. ring set
  3. Carillo rods
  4. chain bearing set
  5. main bearing set
  6. rod bearing set
  7. thrust bearing set
  8. lower chain
  9. upper chain
  10. oil pins (block-head)
  11. OE gasket set
  12. OE rear seal
  13. OE front seal
  14. crank pins
  15. used 1600 cylinder head
  16. intake valves
  17. exhaust valves
  18. valve guides
  19. valve seals
  20. valve shims
  21. intake boots
  22. 1600 Veloce cams
The work list to complete the build includes:
  1. engine strip down and complete rebuild
  2. new piston & liners with Hasting rings
  3. new Carillo rods
  4. all bearings
  5. serviced & machined crank
  6. complete head rebuild with Veloce camshafts
  7. rebuilt oil pump
  8. all new seal & gaskets
Please contact me at (707) 490-6304.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very interesting that this engine has the ears/bumps at the front for the cam cover bolts. According to Fusi it may be an engine out of a '65 car. From reading other threads on the BB it seems as if the change to the heads with the ears at the front happened around this time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It may of course be a later head on the 00514 block. I'm not sure if any markings on the head can tell one if it's the original head? Photos of the markings may be helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This engine is from 65 Guilia TI 514 55889--514 65204. It fits in this range and is close to what i am looking for. I need a 502# for my 65 Sprint GT. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
Yep, early or late head, they'll all fit. I just rebuilt an engine in a 67 Super, came with two blocks and two heads, none was original, one had tangs, one didn't. This head is likely off a later engine. The tangs are very helpful in keeping the front of the cam cover oil tight, but if you want early for originality's sake, fair enough. I considered this engine as a much easier and potentially cheaper way to go, but the owner of the Super wanted to keep what he had, even though it wasn't original.
Andrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, early or late head, they'll all fit. I just rebuilt an engine in a 67 Super, came with two blocks and two heads, none was original, one had tangs, one didn't. This head is likely off a later engine. The tangs are very helpful in keeping the front of the cam cover oil tight, but if you want early for originality's sake, fair enough. I considered this engine as a much easier and potentially cheaper way to go, but the owner of the Super wanted to keep what he had, even though it wasn't original.
Andrew
Thanks for replying to the post, Andrew.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
This engine is from 65 Guilia TI 514 55889--514 65204. It fits in this range and is close to what i am looking for. I need a 502# for my 65 Sprint GT.
I have engine number AR00502*12845. I got it from Jim G, when he worked at AutoDelta in Atlanta, about 25 years ago. I have been saving it as a 'back up' engine for my 1966 Duetto. According to Jim it was a nice running engine removed from a rusty car; still turns over but hasn't run in 25+ years. I'm not that interested in selling the 502 but would trade for this 514 engine or a good spare Duetto 536 engine -if you make the arrangements. I suspect the 514 engine is in CA; I am in GA, so shipping probably won't be cheap.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts