Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All. I bought a 1965 Giulia Spider last year. It has not run for years. The upper body is quite solid but the floors need replacement. I am just starting to cut the floors out and install new ones. The car needs complete going over since it had been left undriven for many years. The front brakes are frozen locked and wheels unable to rotate. The motor turns so that is a good news. I am excited to bring this awesome machine to life.

TY

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
It's wise to get the serial number(s) into Chris Bholes register if these cars as tied with owner information it makes these cars less likely theft victims as value increases. The cars are known for the numbers to collectors, so altered numbers zero's value. Ask Hagerty insurance. Most all the pre 1968 Ferraris numbers and owner names are KNOWN.
This is only my opinion from my own experiences over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, and I fully agree with documenting the car and its ownership. The number on the firewall passenger side is 374253 and on the small data plate on the drivers side of the firewall is 10123.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
I only document Veloce's for the reason that it is a smaller number to keep track of. Of all the 9711 Veloce's built (approx) I have a little over 10% accounted for after 40 years of searching. Thank you Gordon for the plug. :)
As to restoring a car: Cars in their original patina are worth more to some collectors if that is the end goal. Remember, a car is only original once. There is only one reason to restore a car is that it is in terrible condition and needs serious attention. I knew of a guy that drove a white Veloce from Georgia to Californa and he could see the road passing under his feet. He said it was a fun experience.

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
Besides your register Chris, just posting the numbers of a 101 Normale spider on the BB with owner ID offers protection. As YOU know, a few of us actually like these cars enough to keep them... forever!

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
How we love our lowly Normales, especially our mongrel Abnormales, and who cares if our "forevers" just started a few years ago 😉

Ray

Wow, Gordon. I just noticed that you only have 10,070 more posts than I do; I'm gaining on you 🙄

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only document Veloce's for the reason that it is a smaller number to keep track of. Of all the 9711 Veloce's built (approx) I have a little over 10% accounted for after 40 years of searching. Thank you Gordon for the plug. :)
As to restoring a car: Cars in their original patina are worth more to some collectors if that is the end goal. Remember, a car is only original once. There is only one reason to restore a car is that it is in terrible condition and needs serious attention. I knew of a guy that drove a white Veloce from Georgia to Californa and he could see the road passing under his feet. He said it was a fun experience.
I am new to Alfas's, I know my model as a Giulia Spider. Is mine a Veloce, how do I confirm?
Trying to get on board with all the details and variations.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Great to have another Normale being restored 👍 🙄

The date plate on the upper left firewall will read 10123 if a Normale, as mine does.

I think this type of data plate indicates a U.S.market Giulia Spider.

Ray
ardp104.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. So what is the real difference between a Veloce and Normale, engine size, accessories or what? Just trying to understand the Alfa Giulia models.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
If we're speaking of 1964-65 Giulia Siders, be they Normales or Veloces, there will be a vast amount of similarities, but several significant differences which I learned after I bought my '64 Giulia Spider about six years ago. The BB has some of the foremost experts on the planet (if not ALL of them) who know these cars to the point of obsession; for which I am very thankful..

I imagine that a number of them will be chiming in very soon with incredible experience, insight and knowledge because they have raced, repaired, rebuilt and/or restored many Alfas over the years..They are incredibly generous with their knowledge, help and humor and you will come to appreciate all of them very soon. They hail from all over the world and while most of them will tell you they don't know everything about these cars, don't believe them! Their collective pool of knowledge is phenomenal. On a side note, some of them are rascals and the others are characters.

The ONLY problem with these guys, is that you may not get to meet most of them, but you will be blessed by them, just the same. So, start asking questions and sit back and watch the fun begin.

Ray Smith
Tulsa,OK

·
Super Moderator
11,445 Posts
I believe "as designed" the Veloce cars with 2 Webers were intended more as highway or race use application where power from a relatively small but period efficient engine was needed, while the Normale cars had the same engine size, but used a single Solex for better around town, low end torque, with good fuel mileage. Fuel prices in Europe at this time were a serious consideration. Having owned several of both versions, BOTH are drivers cars with very similar handling characteristics, and the slight (at build time) cost difference between models was a performance application rather than driving experience or interior trim difference. Both versions had the same build quality.
In 1965, even Ferrari did this. The 275GTS was a soft top roadster, while the 275GTB was a hard top GT type car. Both shared suspension and drivetrain components, but the GTS engine was tuned for less power and different gearing for more around town, top-down driving, while the 275GTB had more power for highway use. Build quality was the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe "as designed" the Veloce cars with 2 Webers were intended more as highway or race use application where power from a relatively small but period efficient engine was needed, while the Normale cars had the same engine size, but used a single Solex for better around town, low end torque, with good fuel mileage. Fuel prices in Europe at this time were a serious consideration. Having owned several of both versions, BOTH are drivers cars with very similar handling characteristics, and the slight (at build time) cost difference between models was a performance application rather than driving experience or interior trim difference. Both versions had the same build quality.
In 1965, even Ferrari did this. The 275GTS was a soft top roadster, while the 275GTB was a hard top GT type car. Both shared suspension and drivetrain components, but the GTS engine was tuned for less power and different gearing for more around town, top-down driving, while the 275GTB had more power for highway use. Build quality was the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, makes sense. Did both cars came with similar Tach and Speedos (With plastic rings with letterings), or did some came without the plastic rings, with a single face gauges?

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
TyGiulia,

Here is a photo of the gauges from my Normale. There were restored by Tom Sahines, who did a fabulous job. However, I think the Veloce gauges may be different, esp the tach.

Thankfully, he left the mileage as it was.

Ray
IMG_4622 (1).JPG

·
Administrator
12,197 Posts
Whose restoration thread is this? I'm confused, appear to be up to 3 restorations discussed here now ... Thread creator is being very patient ;)

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Pete,
Giuliav started the restoration thread on his '64 Veloce Spider back on Jan 22, 2017. I noticed that both our '64s were sold to AR of North America, on the same day, July 16, 1964, and we have been in a discussion about the cars and their restorations, ever since.

When TyGiulia found Giulialv's latest thread, he mentioned that he was in the initial stages of the restoration of his '64 Normale, and we were off and running. Guiliav appears to be leaning toward doing a full resto, on his latest acquisition, a 65 Veloce Spider, and everyone got excited and started a 64-65 Giulia Spider restoration conference call! Sort of like a group of four Italians having a 5-6 part conversation at one time! Man, I miss those days😃

For the sake of thread etiquette, TyGiulia should probably start an entirely new thread about his '64 Giulia Spider and his plans for it.

Ray

21 - 40 of 40 Posts