Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Premium Member
Giuliav,

Bro, I'm all for restoring those cars that are in need of it, but this baby looks and sounds fantastic! Give her a cosmetic kiss or two and tell her you love her just the way she is 馃槈:love:

Ray

Premium Member
If my born-on April 15,1964, but registered as a '66 Giulia Spider Abnormale had been in your car's condition, I would not have changed a thing!

Premium Member
Bro, it's your car! If you feel it needs the $10 tour, then go for it! I am still in the midst of my own restoration as health issues have slowed my progress. I have amassed a great many restored parts and am waiting for the opportunity to assemble everything.

You might have read of my efforts to secure two measly M12 X 1.25 X 35 mm partially-threaded bolts with which to mount on of the two Giraling front disc brake calipers. I looked EVERYWHERE (35+ individuals and companies, both foreign and domestic), with no success. Not even from the BB members. Alfa only used these for the 64-65 Giulia disc brake Spiders. I had to end up cutting off two M12 X 1.25 X 50 mm bolts and threading some of the bare shank. I finally got what I needed but I wasted so much time and effort trying to locate the OEM, or equivalent items only to have to make what I needed in the end. SO many things have been like this with this car, but she will be on the road this year.

Auguri,

Ray

P.S. You wouldn't happen to have any Giulia Veloce oil pan set-ups laying around you don't need, do you?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
I am happy to hear you are almost done Ray. I can鈥檛 wait to see you get that beauty on the road!

Super Moderator
Many feel that the late '65 Veloces were the very best of the 101 cars. Having owned quite a few 101's over many years, I continue to enjoy my '65 Veloce, also titled as a '66. Many have come and gone, but I've had this one from new, 55 years now. Always a joy.
Unrestored, preserved.

Premium Member
I wish that you would have one of professional car photographers who have sprung up to support Bring a Trailer ads, and the like, shoot a long series of high quality photos of original details before taking the car apart. A lot of people on this forum would certainly like to see them and they would add to the value of your project.

Registered
Turning something like this inside out is counter to the trends in car collecting. I would depersonalize stuff like painted cable escutcheons on the firewall for example but ..that's all I can see in one photo... and make the car mechanically sound...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
As to trends in car collecting, I am not sure what those trends are, but what I can tell you for certain is that I am a driver of these cars and not a collector. For any of us who have had experience maintaining and restoring these pieces of art know very well that these cars were not built to last and they deteriorate from the inside out. Alfa Romeo never thought these cars were going to be 鈥渞are鈥 or 鈥渃ollectibles鈥 and they didn鈥檛 waste any time or money spraying rust protector or primer or anything at all into things like rockers, A pillars or frame rails. They were never meant to last.
If prices in Collecting are on the rise and people are willing to spend money on things that they will never know the condition of or life expectancy, all the power to them.
My humble opinion is, if you find something that miraculously has been fortunate enough to hide from the rust gods and deterioration of time, do everything in your power to keep it that way for another 50 years and then get in and Drive It!
Those of us who have had to deal with the other side of that tale and try to repair something that is far gone, I think will know what I mean.

chiuso per ferie
Turning something like this inside out is counter to the trends in car collecting. I would depersonalize stuff like painted cable escutcheons on the firewall for example but ..that's all I can see in one photo... and make the car mechanically sound...
I am so with you on this. Stripping this car down and "restoring" it takes away from the value of the car. The trend these days is unrestored with patina.

A new, fresh and shiny car will get good money on the auction block, But one that is unrestored....... Something can only be original once.

Registered
Spend about 5 years blowing something like this apart, thousands on mechanical refurbishment , 10-20 K on a paint job. End of the day, you're afraid to drive it so you auction it. It'll bring the same or LESS than a nicely fluffed survivor. I'm not even mentioning the headaches and heart aches of going through a restoration. Rolaids ain't getting cheaper either......

Registered
Amen!

Registered
I certainly agree with Somer and chriscox, owning a similar unrestored Veloce spider - do not make it a trailer queen; rather drive it!! But it is your car.....

Registered
Anyone can restore a car, but you can't make any more survivors! My thought has always been, survivors are special cars and should be left to be the voice of history.

Registered
Giuliav,

Are you saying that this car is in it's FACTORY ORIGINAL PAINT ?
If so, you really should think about what you will be destroying, in both HISTORY and Dollar Value if you dismantle the car to restore it.

The top fabric certainly doesn't look original and maybe the interiors and drive train have been modified. Can't tell from your photos.

Go on and on all you want about doing what's best for the beautiful piece of Alfa Romeo ARTWORK that you've acquired ....... but if that is the FACTORY ORIGINAL PAINT,
then any restoration of the bodywork, beyond careful cleaning, touch - ups and polishing , will be more like MOLESTING the car than caring for it.

There are many "Alfa Romeo Experts" and highly qualified shops that can restore the car beautifully and get every detail absolutely correct.

NOT YOU ..... NOR ANY ONE OF THOSE EXPERTS ..... CAN TAKE THE CAR APART AND THEN MAKE IT ORIGINAL AGAIN .

Since 1965, I've owned and driven both Giulietta and Giulia Spider Veloces. .............. Hands down, the Giulias are much better cars.

IF your car is in it's original paint, THINK TWICE , before you desecrate such a great survivor !

JWHALFA

1 - 20 of 40 Posts