Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivered new as stradale to Switzerland. After a quiet life with one owner for nearly 30 years it was sold to Germany in 1992 for FIA historic race preparation by Neuser Germany. Many races with Stock, Hahne and others. Sold 2002 to Switzerland, raced successfully by Ivan Scotti. Many podium finishes. Very fast car. Very original body, no accidents or damages that we could see. Comes with lots of spare parts. Full documents. Swiss street title and ONS - FIA pre 65 papers. Can be delivered to the EC without tax.
160.000 Euros

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Sorry. No booster at all. OK. Got that.
Other than that, I'll believe it to be a good racing car, FIA and all, though I can't see if it still has the Dunlop brakes. But 160K is stiff for a car which is so little, how to say this.. GTA..
613343 has exactly the same dash and setup, including the (great) Stack rev counter.
It will all be great, fast, etc, but to me it just isn't a GTA anymore. And for 160K I'd really like a neater tank and fuel pump setup. Also a tidier interior.
Any lap times given on known tracks?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
So little GTA is in part because it was a Stradale but also because FIA regulations require the cars to run in '65 spec which leaves out most of the neat homologated bits that in my mind make a GTA such a cool machine.

If it runs FIA, it should have Dunlops and early spindles. The dual circuit MBC is required by FIA and was in fact fitted by Autodelta to some cars, albeit not in 65. The 4-bolt cross member definitely is non-original but allowed by FIA regs as I understand them - doesn't change geometry.

Sorry. No booster at all. OK. Got that.
Other than that, I'll believe it to be a good racing car, FIA and all, though I can't see if it still has the Dunlop brakes. But 160K is stiff for a car which is so little, how to say this.. GTA..
613343 has exactly the same dash and setup, including the (great) Stack rev counter.
It will all be great, fast, etc, but to me it just isn't a GTA anymore. And for 160K I'd really like a neater tank and fuel pump setup. Also a tidier interior.
Any lap times given on known tracks?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
trunnion to differential

The nut (double nut?) that is securing the lightweight trunnion to the differential must be tight, as against the bushing. Correct? There's a large gap between the nut/washer and the cast trunnion itself. OK?
Thanks.
Richard B.
formerly the caretaker of 613964, which had the sliding block added

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
True, it''s precisely that the lack of all 'cool' bits make it what it is, or currently needs to be to be competitive.

There's a heim joint in there alright. The dual MBC: Ulrich, I didn't know that was a FIA requisite. 343 doesn't have one and I haven't found any rule stipulating it to be fitted? Where does it say so?
The four bolt X member: seen it often, understand the how and why, but to me detracts from originality. BTW, ever tried replacing one? Pfff...
Not a saturday afternoon job...

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks like it has a gta pedal box with the offset clutch lever arm; and the bell housing looks dark enough to be magnesium......but the radiator shroud is homemade and someone messed with the radiator mount brackets....:D

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
MBC: Not sure if it is FIA regs or specific tech inspectors insisting on them. Before they were available new again, I was sending quite a few used ones across the pond ...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello ,

1. the 4-bolt x- member is absolute non legal on 1965 cars app.K
2. the dashboard also, its not the original ,and also not pretty!
3. the rear unibal is not legal
4. the dual circuit master cylinder is from RHD cars, not so ideal for the brake pipes, but legal( change to 2 circuit is allowed )
5. And always the same: chassisnumber not correct in my opinion.
6.I prepared some GTA for Fritz Neuser, but dont remember this number?
Somebody knows, if the car is sold for such price?

MFG
Uli

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi Uli,

I know of at least several FIA cars running a four bolt member. So maybe not legal but still probably allowed. I know that way back then several were changed by the factory itself. Not that I ever saw a homologation paper for that though.
Dash is polyester repro, but well, lightweight and useful. Not pretty no.
Uniball maybe not legal but many cars have one. I would cut up a diabolo rubber to cover the uniball and no tech inspector would see that.
Dual cilinder is NOT ONLY RHD, but also US spec first series 1750 GTV and Spider Duetto. Problem is that you have to really modify the trans support. On first series 1750 the eyes for the trans support are located further back and there is a totally different trans support in place.
But, and this is the point: you would have to run 2 boosters. Or, as in this case, NO boosters. On my GTA rep I have this MBC but only 1 booster. Only the front is powered and the rear is not. This I adjust with a brake balancer. An adjustable brake balancer IS FIA approved. As long as its not IN the car. Because the original balancer ( near the rear axle under the car) is also adjustable.... On 343 I have installed a Tilton brake balancer in the location of the original. So , if the car pits in, and the driver wants more or less to the rear, I can easily adjust.
Question: Whats with the chassis number?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
There is homologation for the cross member but it is 1/68. However, it is my understanding that it is tolerated, whereas the later spindles that were homologated at the same time are not.

Now having a 4-bolt on an early car without race history with few of the bits on it does raise some questions ...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hallo Berlinista,

1. Thing with the cover for Uniball is allright, the mine has it also.
2. I do know naturly the double circuit cylinders, my GTA has it also in the same configuration, front with boster. But if you look exactly, this GTA has the RHD cylinder with the connects on the side of cylinder, the ATE-US cylinder has them on TOP!!! just renovated some , now they are new produced on market, but dont know the quality of the Repros. But silly??,why they dont make them from ALU?
3. The brake proportional valve must not be on the same place , i believe, FIA says: not reachable from the driver in seat!!! so he cannot change it in driving position.
4. all the 1600 GTA i had in my life had 2 bolt crossmembers, also the high chassisnumbers, which are definitely not produced in 1965, but always called so , for example: no.6139.. ,never produced 1965, but 2 bolt!! Only the few 1600 GTA No.848 ... had 4-bolt, as they are 1300 chassis!!! and much heavier and the small ATE brakes.
5. referring chassis number no comment , everybody must built his own opinion. Perhaps it had a very hard frontcrash or so . See discussion on the venezuelaGTA.

nice to hear from you

Uli

1 - 20 of 21 Posts