Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, if the engine numbers have been removed, is there another way to identify an engine?
The engine its suppose to bea AR536
Regards

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Post some pictures, there are 2 types of 00536 1600cc engines, the early ones with the bolt on filter and the later ones with the screw-on filter

The easy engine capacity identifier is the height above the water pump

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If you post both pics from front and rear of the engine one can tell you from which model year (within 3-4years) this engine is from.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
According to this Engine numbers there is no 526 but a 516. Same displacment but a few horses less (106 HP).
As for 00536 see AlfistiSA's entry about early and late id - oil filter type.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
According to this Engine numbers there is no 526 but a 516. Same displacment but a few horses less (106 HP).
As for 00536 see AlfistiSA's entry about early and late id - oil filter type.
That's not correct - a 00526 or 00526/A engine is a standard Giulia Super or Nuova engine, nearly 100% identical to a 00536.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
The block is identical from a 00502, 00514, 00526, 00536, the differences are in the numbers. The total engine differences are in the inlet manifold and the carb / carbs as well as well the cams. I've had all of them at some time or another.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have pictures, I haven't seen yet the engine, but the seller said to me that numbers have been changed to match an invoice :(

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I dont have pictures, I haven't seen yet the engine, but the seller said to me that numbers have been changed to match an invoice :(
Hello Junior333,

Are you going to have a look at the engine before buying it? I would recommend that.

No pictures from the seller? Why not?

Numbers changed to match the invoice? No enginenumber on the engineblock? What is the history of this engine? Why was het engine number removed? What does "Numbers changed to match the invoice" mean.

Caution is advised if you ask me.

Basic rules:
Waterpump flush with the top of the block: 1300 cc
Waterpump approx 2,5 centimeters beneath the top of the cilinderblock: 1600 cc
Waterpump approx 4 centimeters beneath the top of the block: 1750 or 2000 cc

Oilfilter "hanging down": earlier type engine
Oilfilter horizontal: later type engine

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About the numbers, it was a "stupid" practice here in Greece, i am not sure but i guess that they wanted to match engine with the import numbers ... really dont know...

But i guess that there is not any reason to buy this engine as it could be also one of the others mentioned... and it cant be identified as a 536

So i will skip it...

Thank you all for the help !

Hello Junior333,

Are you going to have a look at the engine before buying it? I would recommend that.

No pictures from the seller? Why not?

Numbers changed to match the invoice? No enginenumber on the engineblock? What is the history of this engine? Why was het engine number removed? What does "Numbers changed to match the invoice" mean.

Caution is advised if you ask me.

Basic rules:
Waterpump flush with the top of the block: 1300 cc
Waterpump approx 2,5 centimeters beneath the top of the cilinderblock: 1600 cc
Waterpump approx 4 centimeters beneath the top of the block: 1750 or 2000 cc

Oilfilter "hanging down": earlier type engine
Oilfilter horizontal: later type engine

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
And if it would be a 00526 engine what's the matter with it? Why do you "fear" it could be one ?

Don't understand your argument.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
I can't imagine there's any structural difference between an 00526 and 00536 block in terms of the casting or machining, other than the number itself, and changes common across the lines, like two versus four oil pan bolts across the rear, etc. But yes, 00526 would have come in a Giulia sedan variant, not a GTV. Didn't the few 1600 Juniors come with 00526? I haven't looked at Fusi to confirm.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Nuova Super had a spin-on oil filter rather than cartridge as on the original 00536 - different block and different cover. This was I believe introduced on the Giulia Super in 1969 - denoted by the /A suffix.

Part number for Giulia Super 1.6 changed to a 115 series number as on the Nuova but still numbered 526/A

There are a few additional differences like the later blocks do not have a rear vent machined. Castings of later blocks tend to be rougher as well.

Port sizes and HD rear bearing are all alike on those engines though.

That's not correct - a 00526 or 00526/A engine is a standard Giulia Super or Nuova engine, nearly 100% identical to a 00536.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nuova Super had a spin-on oil filter rather than cartridge as on the original 00536 - different block and different cover. This was I believe introduced on the Giulia Super in 1969 - denoted by the /A suffix.
I´ve just mentioned Nuova because of engine type 00526/A; but Super still had from 69-72 a cartridge oil filter and just minor visible changes in rear block cast. So 00526 and 00536 are not far away from each other.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok now i am confused, :frown2:
536 adn 526 are identical or there are some visible differences ?
Regards
Raffaello

1 - 20 of 37 Posts