Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have two jobs done by my mechanic, and was wondering what BALLPARK time or total costs would be for each for a '91 Spider:

First is replace both motor mounts - parts and labor

Second is replace rear suspension bushings, trunnion and trailing arms, labor only as I have parts.

TIA for any ideas/estimates!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Mounts run around $40-$60 each depending on source and style, labor would be based on his given rate and how much imagination he has. (it can be done in a couple hours or less, it can be done in a couple days or more. Depends on whether he's done it before, how creative a thinker he is, or how much stuff he removes that doesn't actually need to be removed)

On the rear end, with a proper lift and access to proper tools, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to an afternoon I would think. (I did mine in about 3 hours with no press and no lift)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Polyurethane mounts are about $65 a piece, but you'll never need to replace them. Not sure about labor, I done my own...if you want, bring me your car and I'll install for 4 12 packs of Bud Ice Light:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I've heard more than once that the series 4 Spiders' engine mounts are a lot more difficult to replace than previous models. Never done it myself though.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Series 4 is not any worse than a carb car. Its all access and easy of removability. The passenger side mount is the worst on any of them. Probably carbs are the worst as they are the most pain to remove to get additional clearance. Of course..I pull stuff off that is in the way. I wouldn't want to attempt personally with the induction stuff in the way.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had both motor mounts removed and replaced in March. Paid $60 a piece and labor was ~3.0 hours @ $70/hr. So total was $330. My mechanic is very reputable and does excellent quality work, been working on Alfa's over 25 years.

Get a firm quote, as the exhaust side mount is a job done under 45 minutes but the intake side is a royal pain that I surely wouldn't want to tackle without a lift.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got (most) of this work done so will post my results ('91 Spider). Had the motor mounts replaced, the transmission mount replaced, two new trailing arms, new bushings installed in the new arms and the accelerator linkage clips replaced, lubed etc. The labor charge for the motor mounts and the also including the linkage work was $288.00. The labor charge for the trailing arms was 216.00. the labor charge for the transmission mount was $108.00. Looks like hourly rate is $72.00. The car now drives straight down the road, rather than wandering on accel/decel. The action of the accelerator is MUCH improved, like night and day, I used to stall the car and it would jerk and buck, I thought that was just the way it was, but cleaning up the linkage made starting off incredibly smoother. All in all a much more enjoyable car to drive now and money well spent!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts