Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mu fuel gauge is no longer working. I have thoroughly cleaned the contacts and I'm pretty certain I'll need to replace the fuel sending unit but until then, how many miles do you thing a full tank of gas would get? I know the mileage depends on my driving style and a number of different tuning variables. That being said, how many miles (on the low end) could I expect from a full tank?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
based on the tank being 12.1 gallons... at approx 100 miles, I use just about 5 gallons. 340+ miles per tank?! WOW thats amazing! You're almost getting 50% better mpg than I am. What year is your spider?

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
With my 87 Quad in pretty good shape I get around 220 miles on a tank, mostly highway at 75 mph. I would say 180 miles per tank is safe... for me !

·
Registered
326 Posts
I average 24.19 mpg so with that in mind 293 per tank...FYI there's an app for that...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
In previous threads, several folks have reported 30 mpg in L-jet Spiders. I typically get just under 27 mpg. I refuel after about 260 miles.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with my fuel sender because I usually get between 8.5 and 9 liters per 100 kilometers (26 - 28 miles per US gallon) and fuel gauge is less than 1/4 past 200 miles. Theoretically I should get over 300 miles per tank too !

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,621 Posts
does your low fuel light work? if so that will help. they are on different circuits. I generally drive about 240 miles and when I fill up it takes around 9 gallons on my spica car. If I stretch it the low fuel pressure light comes on around turns and then it will take up to 11 gallons. On the spider with webers the speedo is so far off with the smaller tires I don't even look at it.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with my fuel sender because I usually get between 8.5 and 9 liters per 100 kilometers (26 - 28 miles per US gallon) and fuel gauge is less than 1/4 past 200 miles. Theoretically I should get over 300 miles per tank too !
Your float arm needs calibrating.
Ideally the arm would be set so that the low fuel light comes on with around 2 gallons left in the tank. (IIRC 'reserve', ie: when the light comes on, is 1.3~1.5, but 2 is safer)

With an empty tank, pull the sender, put 2 gallons of fuel in and with a few trial and error attempts, adjust the float arm (bend it) so that the low fuel light just comes on. if you can get it to flicker, even better yet.
On solid with a bit of flicker if you give the car a little jounce is also acceptable.

Button everything up, and from that point on, when the light comes on you'll know exactly how much you've got before you're walking.

Nevermind where the needle falls when full if it spikes way over or just short of the gauge full mark. You know its full, and a full tank of gas usually won't leave you stranded. Approaching empty on the other hand is real important to know about.

AFA the original topic:
An L-jet in stock trim and decent tune should see you reliably getting at least 300 miles per tankful (25~ish mpg) and likely more than that as the 30+mpg stories are definitely the more prevalent average. (I vaguely recall window stickers or adverts mabe saying something like 27 city, 32 highway)
IMO, 300 should be the minimum acceptable before seeking out the reason(s) why the mileage has gone to crap.

'Course if you're dealing with a tweaked engine, then be happy if you see even 20mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Some will say this is a stretch. Keep in mind that it is the fuel that keeps the pump cool and any "crud" somewhat in suspension thus in tank pumps live longer when the tank is kept "fuller".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts