Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Anywhere to get Lemforder or other quality balljoints?

3K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  southernstar 
#1 ·
I’m considering replacing the balljoints on my 75 Spider, but have been unable to source Lemforder, or other decent parts. I have no desire to use the cheapo junk that is generally available, despite the low cost. There is a quite a bit of labour involved ( and cost if not DIY) and I cannot wrap my head around the idea of replacing ball joints with virtually each annual oil change!

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I have these if they work for you ?
New, never used, still in the box from Classic Alfa since 2016.
$70 for the pair (excluding lock nuts which I may have used, if not I will throw those in the package for free).
All plus shipping from CA 94025.

Regards, RJ

Attachments

#6 ·
Somewhat depressing, n’est-ce pas? No sources of quality ball joints? I can get Lemforder tie rod ends, and will do so while still available. But I hope that Alfa Romeo Spiders, with relatively low values, don’t become garage queens as quality replacement parts become increasingly unavailable and owners are fearful of putting on more mileage. Am I missing something? These are, IMHO, meant to be driver’s cars. But its hard to drive a car more than a very few miles a year if even basic, quality replacement parts are no longer available.

#9 ·
I have had these in my Spider for a number pf years and they have been fine. I believe that they are a good product.
Top joints are part of the control arm and they do not wear as fast as lower joints. FRAP may be the only choice there but even they seem to do OK in this application.

#21 ·
Thanks alfettaparts2, but I have no qoutes as yet. Frankly, I don’t think I need them yet, but am worried about long term parts availability. The car had a complete restoration between 95 and 97, with about 20,000 miles since. Due to time and miieage, I expect that I’ll need new ball joints and tie rods ends sooner than later. Having said that, an estimate of labour time would be very helpful.

#22 ·
Just in general terms the ball joints and tie rod ends wont suffer due to lack of use. If you can get hold of any Lemforder stuff I think that's a good idea for spares because it seems they have stopped making a lot of alfa stuff. I don't think there will be a lack of (other brand) 105 spares for many many years to come. If you find Lemforder lower control arm bush's, buy them.
As part of a service I check all the front suspension and would advise a customer if anything needs replacing. Its not like your going to just change everything for no reason.
Lower ball joints are easy 30 minutes each side.
Top ball joints (arms) take a little longer 1 hour each side. A bit longer if you fit the correct caster rod bush.
Tie rod ends are easy if they come apart ok. Not much room on the inner ones and they can be a bit of a pain. Say half an hour for each one.
Lower control arm bush's your looking for a couple of hours each side.
Then a wheel alignment.
That's what I would expect from a shop that charges a premium rate per hour.
I don't work like that any more. I charge a lower rate and take my sweet time because I'm not busting my *** for a stupid car any more lol

I'll just add that the idler box bush's wear out and are a common replacement.

#24 ·
a cool thing to do, is replace the rubber boots with polyurethane boots, they last longer than the rubber boots, and dont tear as easy as the rubber ones,, thet what causes some failure, the rubber comes apart, and le grit get into the joint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.