Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
What prompts you to say you need a new radiator? Unless it has been damaged in a crash the original radiators are repairable to fix all kinds of faults - leaks, clogging, etc. Take your old one to Ye Olde Fashioned Radiator Repair Shoppe. You may find it can be made as good as new for a lot less than $300.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Agreed. Any good radiator shop can bring the old one up to spec..and Alfa gave a lot of thought to the exact part for your car. Why mess with success????? After market stuff is OK, if the origonal parts are no longer available, but in this case I'd go with the factory, even if it must be boiled out and re-soldered.:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
already been boiled and fixed once

The radiator has already been boiled (cleaning) and soldered once. It will be over three hundred to get it recored so I was thinking this might be a good option. thanks

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Retailer claims this is OEM, not generic, but no way to know for sure. It also has plastic tanks where OEM is all metal. If it were me I would have the OEM recored.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Retailer claims this is OEM, not generic, but no way to know for sure. It also has plastic tanks where OEM is all metal. If it were me I would have the OEM recored.
Ad also says 86 to 94. It looks like a 90-94, different size than 86-89 style.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just saying they have a "new" OE aluminum radiator with plastic side tanks for a series 4 has me interested. The radiator pictured is not portraying a series 4 radiator though. It seems like they are advertising too many years for the same part number.

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
The radiator has already been boiled (cleaning) and soldered once. It will be over three hundred to get it recored so I was thinking this might be a good option. thanks
ghnl said:
Take your old one to Ye Olde Fashioned Radiator Repair Shoppe. You may find it can be made as good as new for a lot less than $300.
While I agree with ghnl that repairing the old OE radiator will produce a better outcome than some made-in-China replacement, I also agree with Ezra that ye old radiator shop is probably going to charge > $300 to make it right.

Here in Orange County, traditional radiator repair shops have gone the way of computer stores - toward extinction. The few shops that remain charge megabucks to repair/recore. The price of copper, environmental regulations, labor costs, and diminishing demand have all conspired to drive the price up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It doesn't look like the 88 ones too.
Anyway, I would prefer a new radiator rather than cleaning and welding an old one.
(Not talking specifically about that one)
Saar

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
For those on Orange County, Toms Radiators in Orange still does old school repairs at very fair prices.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The picture certainly isn't a Spider radiator. While it has a disclaimer saying that the product pictured isn't necessarily the right one, I generally don't trust unknown sellers who don't show the picture of the actual product.

Greg

·
Registered
492 Posts
IAP has a new radiator on its website $469 but says "call for availability" which I think means out of stock - don't know about any of the other usual vendors

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I looked at the website and it does not state how many rows or fins per inch. I'd go to a local shop and get a 3 or four row built. Especially, if you live in a hot climate.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thing to do then is ask for a photo (or several) of the actual Alfa radiator. If they can't or won't take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My '84 spider has been running very warm lately ( sits just a hair shy of the mark after 180) and I'm guessing its time to treat the issue. I've tried having it power flushed and even bled the system again to be sure. Just ordered a new cap and t-stat but have little hope in a cure there. Sounds like a recore is going to run $300+ but I see Vick's has one they claim is a new OE fit on sale for $199. Which is the better/cost effective solution?

·
Registered
126 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts