Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

With your knowledge and expertise I ask you to please assist me on this one…
This car is an Alfa Rome Sprint Speciale Conrero, but are there anyone out there who can give me some background story on the car please? Apparently there are only a few made, and this is one of the very few. Used for racing in the -60s, made of aluminum etc is just as much as I know.

Thanks for your time,

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Conrero???

I would be very careful of this one, if you're interested in buying it.
There have been a couple of bubble headlight SS that have purportedly been by Conrero. One had Duetto bubbles and the other had early VW Beetle covered headlamps. No one has ever proved it one way or the other. This car apparently started life as a Giulietta Sprint Veloce and someone(maybe Conrero, but a BIG maybe not) modified the body and now the car carries a Conrero badge.
I would run the serial number through Alfa and see who bought it originally.
Is it for sale through a dealer? There have been a number of mystery cars like this offered over the years. Someone with a working knowledge of body construction techniques needs to look over the modified areas to see when they were done.
Keith
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Keith,

Thanks for your comments and advices. I have no intention of buying the car, and the owner actually saud its not for sale either.
I had never seen a car like this, and I was hoping someone else could give their comments regarding the car and history just as you did.
I will ask him to provide the chassis number and seek information that way.
He said there are 3 cars like this, although none are identical..

I'll post more if I get more details from the owner.

Frank

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only part of this car that resembles A Giulietta SS is the grill which however is flanked by headlight assemblies identical to late Alfa spiders. This car is obviously not based on an SS. The rear fender tops look as if that crisp edge has been shaved and rounded as does the underside of the rear of the car. These are typical custom mods more common to George Barris Kustoms and not some European design house. Just my opinion. DC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The owner insist the car is original,(who wouldn't..)but I can't find anything related to the car on the net.
It has lived its life racing in Zimbabwe so maybe the young and promising Mugabe has ruined an original Alfa just as he have been ruined his country..
I will try to get some of the history from the owner so the truth can be revealed.. Or at leased more history.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Yep, seen it up close ..

Frank
Yes, the car is "special" - as is its owner.
As for being original ... I find that extremely hard to believe.

My examination of it leads me to believe it started life as a 750 Sprint and was modified with 105 parts (and some "imagineering") in later years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
original or not, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. IMHO this is not so pretty but I am sure she has a lovely personality!!:sailor:

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Keith is right; the car is in fact a 1957 Lightweight Sprint Veloce

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 1493 E 04658 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce, manufactured on the 16th July 1957 and sold on the 18th July 1957 in Mozambique.
The body colour is Alfa red (AR 501).

I know the car & the owner very well, it's here in South Africa and was on a Giulietta Tour with us last year & after experiencing a dragging clutch I had the opportunity to examine it up close & personal while it was on a hoist at a local garage.

It's unquestionably a Lightweight, confirmed by the Chassis & Bertone numbers. The body is extremely well built. I could not find any joints or overlaps of sheet metal underneath the car and the large fender flares are seamlessly integrated into the body. It still wears its aluminium Carello Headlight buckets from the original 5+3/4" Carello's as worn by the early Veloce’s. Everywhere on the car there is evidence of racing, the brake drum backing plates are hugely drilled for ventilation. The chassis rails just aft of the rear trailing arm brackets have a rectangular bracket welded to them on either side, the owner has a matching pair which bolt on to these and effectively 'trapped' the rear trailing arms (wrapped in rubber) in a long tube which acted as a primitive lateral stabilisation device. The engine bay inner wings have been modified to re-position the holes for the air hose trunking as the nose mods dictate slightly different routing of the hoses.

The upper A arms on the front suspension have home-made ends, the anti-sway bar is purpose made as are the ends and the sills have 3 tabs welded down each side where a curtain of rubber used to hang to minimise the exit of dust during its racing life in Mozambique. A 10:41 diff & large Veloce fuel tank completed the picture.

The local legend passed down with the car from its racing time in Mozambique, was that it was a "Conrero Special". Whether this means that it was modified by Conrero in the body style you see today, or whether it sported "Squadra Conrero" on the side due to having a Conrero motor when it originally landed in Mozambique, I could not tell you.

The car is currently running a 1600cc engine from a 105 series, plus a 5 speed box, coupled with the 4.1 diff…. it was a fast car on our Tour. The front grille is from a Duetto, when found by the owner it was missing the special grill for the modified nose and a Duetto one was the closest ‘fit’. Likewise the front indicators are Karmann-Ghia and the bonnet scoop is a custom piece. The Perspex covers over the headlights are a new addition as it wasn’t wearing them in 2013, but they do finish off the nose nicely. The dash and gauge pod should be satin black and the car should not have a glove box lid.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,813 Posts
Some more details including the welded brackets on the chassis rails just aft the trailing arm mounts. Also the early small aluminium headlight buckets as fitted to the Lightweights, the Series I Normale's had stamped steel buckets.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts