Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lusted after early spiders since I was in grad school 30 years ago.
Now that I have some financial means, I'm looking for a near-show quality early Duetto.

Almost everything I've found on ebay/craigslist/hemmings, etc. are projects or okay drivers. Quite a contrast relative to the earlier Giuliettas.

Anyway, New England Classics has one on offer that they write up as being nearly fully restored. I'm curious if any of you experienced Alfa folk have seen this car and could comment on it's condition before I make the long trek to see it in person.

Bfeng

·
Registered
315 Posts
At 23,500 you can expect it isn't "fully restored". Even in this market, an original (or close to it) Duetto in "A" condition would cost you 40K...or more in some instances. Any dealer of classics would be aware of that. Check RM Arizona 2009 where a nice example fetched 46K. Offer them much less, sink another 30k into it, and then it will be "fully" restored...or at least close to it. Hate to be blunt, but that car dcoes not look restored unless they wanted to post old pictures for some reason.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
If they are serious about selling the car, they should get it on a hoist and show you pictures from underneath; jacking points, wheel wells, rocker panels, bottom of doors, spare tire well in trunk, etc.

I've lusted after early spiders since I was in grad school 30 years ago.
Now that I have some financial means, I'm looking for a near-show quality early Duetto.

Almost everything I've found on ebay/craigslist/hemmings, etc. are projects or okay drivers. Quite a contrast relative to the earlier Giuliettas.

Anyway, New England Classics has one on offer that they write up as being nearly fully restored. I'm curious if any of you experienced Alfa folk have seen this car and could comment on it's condition before I make the long trek to see it in person.

Bfeng

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
While I would never criticize another member's car, but dealers are fair game.

I have done my share of auto upholstery and those seats look like they were done in a hurry, look at the wrinkles up the sides.
I think that Duettos did not come carpeted. The dash just looks dingy.

Also, all the modern audio equipment detracts from the car,there's a huge hole cut in the dash to fit that head unit. The dealer is actually listing the audio as if it's a positive selling point. This guy should stick to the brits he seems to specialize in.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Original Duetto was all rubber mats except the center console and bell housing tunnel,which were a very-hard-to-find black and grey mohair.

Robert

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Robert
C'mon - Be honest ! The carpet was Tyrolean mouse fur - but only from the finest pelts collected from the South-side of the mountains.
Present social attitudes prohibit harvesting of the aforementioned species since animal rights activists have succeeded in getting the furry little buggers listed as an endangered species.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I've been shopping for that Tyrolean Mouse fur, I need a new toupee!!

BFeng, you should try to get a copy of the Alfa Owner, It's the club magazine and there are usually a couple of honestly described cars for sale with known ownership history. Also keep an eye on the classifieds here on the BB. Many of the cars that come up are also known quantities so you can buy with some confidence. I'm not knocking all dealers,but you have to be careful.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I thought everyone knew the superiority of the tyrolean mouse fur collected from the colder north side of the mountain. Much more dense and plush.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Always a Spider and never ever a Spyder not least as there is no 'y' in the Italian alfabet (sic)

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice

BFeng, you should try to get a copy of the Alfa Owner, It's the club magazine and there are usually a couple of honestly described cars for sale with known ownership history.
Thanks Nick,
I did peak at the club magazine, but I've generally found internet gets the ads earlier and more of them. But I'll keep watching. I wish I'd started a few months earlier (would've bought Jeff B's car).

Thanks everyone for the advice and funny references to floor coverings. My goal is not 100% historical accuracy (I've got an XK120 for that urge), and would rather have a light resto-mod Duetto that's super clean, well constructed, and a great driver.

I agree with comments about the seats (wrinkles could be from use). White tends to high flaws in photos so I'll be going down to see the car when I can break free from the office for a day.

John Feng

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
86spider
Balderdash!!! That's simply untrue - an urban myth generated to placate the public. The Northern slope sub-species is well known to suffer from vitamin deficiencies and inadequate daily nutrition. Their population has been increasing however due to government subsidies and government funded food banks. This results in a disproportionate number of these wretched vermin reproducing and expanding beyond the natural limitations of their traditional territory.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warning

Suggest checking out this particular vendor's reputation on line; there is much to read.
There is some pretty scary stuff out there, but also some really satisfied customers. I've heard a couple of good things about Marc from some local club members, so the good and bad could both be true.

BTW, there's a vintage car dealer near me with a showroom full of high dollar classics (Ferrari's, pre-war Bentleys, etc.). I went there to look at a TR250 that was supposedly in mint condition. Overall, it was a really nice, but the driver door skin had a 2" crack at the rear top edge where it was separating from the inner skin (just below the window channel). I asked about it and the fellow instantly replied, "that's not a crack, that's normal." Now, this guy has been on a famous show about chasing classic cars so for some reason I was hoping he would be scrupulously honest. Once I heard that, red flags went up and I politely excused myself from the premises.

Maybe that cracking door skin was expected for TR listed at $25k, and if so why didn't he just say, "yes, but considering how nice the rest of the car is ... that's forgivable." But he didn't, and that was my introduction to the classic car business.

I've yet to meet a dealer that's 100% honest and forthcoming. This includes a fellow that's on a first name basis with the Earl of March (UK). The #1 rule of the classic car business is caveat emptor. The second rule I've learned is all dealers are optimists to a fault. Third, never ever buy a car unless you've inspected it very carefully in person as your expectations are never guaranteed to be the same as anyone elses (even if they're a well respected marque expert).

·
Registered
162 Posts
For the love of the legend himself, Pinin Farina, the side badges are in the wrong place.
That's embarassing...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Duetto for sale

Check out the red 67 on E-bay in SoCal. You may have a resto project there but the bidding is already over $13K. Looks decent enough but don't they all? Beware the pig with lipstick an old Alfa expert friend used to tell me!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I saw that on ebay also. Looks very clean. Very, very clean. It looks unrestored and very original. A true Duetto....... nice. Reserve hasn't been met. Here's the link

Alfa Romeo : Spider - eBay (item 280639107855 end time Mar-11-11 00:22:27 PST)

That seller knows what he's got. He is careful to show the dash, underside, original engine, wheels (Not Original). The interior looks very nice. I think his reserve is maybe 18K. A Duetto isn't that nice by chance:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bfeng,

Let me know if you really want to consider it (ebay Duetto). I lived in Whittier most of my life. I will go take a close look for you and grab some pics. I have been working on my 67 for about 8 years. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for. I live about an hour away from Whittier. I have a feeling this wont meet reserve and you should still get a chance at it after it expires from ebay.

Marcos

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, I am interested

Marcos, etal,

In the main picture the front center grill looks askew. I don't believe one can make meaningful judgments without seeing more bottom shots (bottom-door seams, rockers, inside of trunk floor, etc.).

But, based on the provided pictures it does look nice.

I will never by a classic car without having it professionally inspected (unless it's pennies on the dollar).

If you want to go out and inspect it, I'd pitch in enough for your gas money and a decent dinner.

John

·
Registered
361 Posts
Marcos, etal,

In the main picture the front center grill looks askew. I don't believe one can make meaningful judgments without seeing more bottom shots (bottom-door seams, rockers, inside of trunk floor, etc.).

But, based on the provided pictures it does look nice.

I will never by a classic car without having it professionally inspected (unless it's pennies on the dollar).

If you want to go out and inspect it, I'd pitch in enough for your gas money and a decent dinner.

John
John,

Sent the guy a message. If it doesn't make reserve, I'll go look at it. The grill isn't skewed, it's the roof line reflection on the paint. I'll let you know when he replys.

Marcos

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Overall it's not a bad looking car. Of course, the devil is in the details. Big $$ if the sheet metal needs work - doors, rocker panels, wheel arches, floors are typical of these cars. Could be GTG or big $ for engine, clutch, TX, diff, brakes.

Ok resto, but: the carpets are wrong - about $800 to replace correctly; no ash tray - $100-200 to find one; rear drape is wrong - $270, door panels are wrong (chrome strips) - $290 each; seat upholstery is low cost and not correct - up to $700; no idea of how the mechanicals are, tool kit missing - $300 if you can find one at all; Top unknown - up to $800; Toneau unknown; Wheels wrong.

With the current price over $13,000 and below reserve, it's already overpriced I'd think. A good driver probably, condition 3 or so.

Robert

1 - 20 of 25 Posts