Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else had used the extended life coolant and did you have any problems. From what I understand as long as all the green gets flushed out it should be compatible, but I am about to install a new IAP waterpump and thought I would get anyones opinion that would give it.:):)

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would absolutely never run that stuff in anything after seeing the inside of a few three and four year old GM vehichles that looked as if they had been using salt-water for coolant for twenty years. I don't know if it's just Dex-cool or all the long life antifreeze, but I do know I have a 43 year old rambler in my driveway that still has the original radiator, and engine and it's working fine, and nothing but regular old antifreeze.

Here is a link: Or just google Dex-cool problems...

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/CPM-52-DEXArticle-Excerpt.pdf

·
Registered
327 Posts
My coolant's orange. Don't remember who made it,(Zerex maybe?)but I know it met specs for aluminum engines. The beauty of orange or red is that leaks are easier to spot. As long as you flush the old coolant you should be fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies fellows, I had heard some horror stories and was hoping it was a lack of maintenance issue rather than the product, I know they say the orange is more friendly with an aluminum system so I think I'll give it a try.:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have been running Dex-cool and distilled water in my Alfa V6 for years, water pumps last their 30k mile life and look nice and clean when I take them off. I plan and using the same stuff in my spider when I get around to changing the coolant.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Coolant

Prestone has a new coolant, at least to me, that is a pale yellow green and said to mix with anything else in any vehicle and also be extended life at the same time. I just dumped it in my wife's 2000 Ford, as the ford requirement changes between model years and I didn't want to worry about it.

I have had orange dex-cool in my Spider for 3 years and have had no problems, even in 100 degree heat using the AC. I will gradually shift all my vehicles to the extended life Prestone, except for GM vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts