Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - hope everyone is doing well. Mainly just a thought experiment but since I have a spare healthy complete SPICA set up (attached to a healthy 2000 engine) I was wondering if anyone ever installed the SPICA system on to an early carb'd car. You'd need the full SPICA system and fuel tank and make a return fuel line etc, but you'd then have an FI car.

Any thoughts or comments?

(ducking for cover - grin)

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
I've seen it done on two or three Giulia sedans. There's a green TI running around the Bay Area with a full Spica 2000 in it. And the Greenwood(?) rally Super that I believe Wes Ingram had a hand in building had Spica.

I've seriously considered it for a Super. Install the right tank, fuel lines, pump, filter, pressure light, and related wiring, and voila. I don't see it as that big a deal. To me it'd be easier and more thematic than a Bosch motor in an early car, of which I know at least a half dozen.

To each his/her own, I say.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
I have a spare healthy complete SPICA set up
Please define "healthy".

If you know that the Spica pump and TA are good, understand the quirks of Spica (which you probably do, since I see you own a '73), don't mind sourcing the other Spica bits (fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter, throttle pedal, cable bracket), don't mind fabricating brackets for the fuel pump and fuel filter, and don't have any Weber parts, then I guess this could make sense.

But if you can't check all of those boxes, I'd have to ask "why"? You have to source parts either way, you'll need to invest time making modifications instead of just bolting on Webers, and your car will be non-original when you're done.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The way I see it, the Spica on your 2L would be suitable only for a Euro 2L. The timing cover, where the pump is mounted, has a screw-on oil filter while the 1750, which the cover would fit, has a canister filter on the block. The cover is too tall for a 1300 or 1600. The sump would need to be swapped as well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys - thanks for flushing out all the considerations. Looks like Webers will be the path since total brain damage that way doesn't look any higher (likely less) and the car will be more original.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts