Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've only had my S4 for several months, but quickly became disgusted by those huge knee bolsters that surely don't serve any real purpose. The outer side of my right knee is continuously sore, so the bolsters have to go. Anyone pull them off and install the previous version of the under-dash paneling, say from a late S3? I've actually already got the under-dash panel from a '90, but was wondering if anyone's done this before, and perhaps had any advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes, it has been done and I have seen pictures here on the BB (I do not remember when/where). Here's a picture of interior of a Euro S4 and you can see the S3 style bolster that is less protruding. You got a bolster from a 1990 which is one-piece affair IIRC, which is better suited for the particular conversion than multi-piece one from earlier S3 (easier/cleaner installation).

Hope this helps & good luck,

Attachments

·
Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, the part I have is the one-piece type, and now that you mention it, I think it will be easier to use than the two-piece type that my '87 Spider has. I'm going to try and get everything at least taken apart this evening. I got a black replacement, although my original bolsters are tan, and I think the color will make it less intrusive, too.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've thought of doing this also. I'm sure that the earlier piece(s) will fit however you will have to come up with a solution for either side of the center console. I'm pretty sure that the carpet will not meet up with the center console, leaving a very ugly gap.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not so sure about that. It looks like the upper center console piece (the part around the shifter) is the same as on my '87 S3, and that the knee bolsters just overlay its edges. I'm betting the carpet's the same, too. I may not know for a few more days, though, as I just ordered some new audio components (a receiver/CD player & Sirius tuner), so I'm going to wait until all the pieces arrive before taking everything apart. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I was very lucky to have found the '90 underdash panel on eBay for $15, so maybe that's a good sign.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Merry Christmas to you too Paradiso.

Sorry, just trying to get somemore information on the subject. Seems like finding a project thread that actually gets finish is hard to do here.:D:D:D

I want to go to a smaller steering wheel and back date the steering wheel column cover to match up with the Momo hub adaptor better then the S-4's do.......so I need to remove the drivers knee bolster to get to the screws out of the old steering column cover. Then I thought why not replace those bolsters to a 87 to 90's version.

Could have started a new thread but thought it would be more fun to wake up the dead. :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I am in the process of removing the S4 knee pads and replacing them with a one piece S3 bolster. The problem is the hood release latch handle and side mounting holes for the S3 requires new brackets. I do not want to removed the weled brackets from the car in case some one wants to put the knee pads back in (not me). Also in appears that some cosmetic work needs to be done around the transmission tunnel. Any project i start takes forever, so I do not know when I will finish.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Too bad on the mounting points and hardware sounds like alot more work then I want to do.

In the picture above the Euro S-4's center console looks to be at a different angle then our S-4's consoles......looks flatter..........I wonder if it's the same with the late S-3's (87-90)

·
Registered
627 Posts
...In the picture above the Euro S-4's center console looks to be at a different angle then our S-4's consoles......looks flatter..........I wonder if it's the same with the late S-3's (87-90...)
Center console looks to be the same angle as my 87. Bolster on the driver side is different. Mine is two pieces.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Center console looks to be the same angle as my 87. Bolster on the driver side is different. Mine is two pieces.
After pulling the center console and the side carpet panels today it looks to me it would be more the just the bolsters that would need to be switch out.

Best bet would be live with the large bolsters and get a smaller steering wheel to bad that along with the large bolster's you get a wide steering column cover that doesn't flow into an aftermaket hub adaptor like the S-3 do. To me the aftermarket wheels on a S-4 look more like a cone on a block.

Maybe I would get use to it and the old wheel could always be put back on?

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/818214-post10.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/867738-post13.html

·
Registered
627 Posts
...flow into an aftermaket hub adaptor like the S-3 do. To me the aftermarket wheels on a S-4 look more like a cone on a block....
You know, I bet you could get the S3 cover to fit with the S4 bolsters. The bottom is flat. If anything maybe trim out some of the bottom to fit. Wouldn't see the bottom resting on the bolster.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Nice. Did it include the trim ring for the ignition switch? Don't remember what the S4 has around the ignition.
No it didn't, mine is missing it too but I found one here on the BB.

I hopping the steering column cover works but I would have to drop the leftside bolster to switch them out............a job I really not looking forward too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm still trying to understand what piece of trim youse guys are talking about. Is it the tray that goes out and under the glove box on the passenger side. And on the driver side its the tray under the ignition.

Why would you want to remove that?

KKKKFL

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
OK........I cleared out some room to get the left side bolster out to install a 1990 steering column cover.

Got a couple of question to Vin or anyone else who has removed them before........

In the first picture I have maked where you said the mounting points are to see if I understood you right.

There are only (2) bolt in points (3) if you include the (2) mounting points (one high and one low) in front of the drivers side door. There is nothing that connects under the radio.............nothing no tabs or slots......no reason to pull the radio?

I'm taking that the U-shape bracket is just a fencing bracket that you unbolt to allow the bolster to slide out to be removed. Looks like that bracket is attached to the bottom part of the center console too? Does the upper part of the center console (with shifter) need to be unbolted and moved back to remove the bolster?

Sorry for all the questions.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 66 Posts