Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 spider quad that has a slightly mis-aligned driver's door. I can get it to close properly if I pull it or push it with the right force, but it just doesn't close as nicely as my passenger door which closes nicely with 'normal' door closing force. The car has been repaired on the driver side panel after the door and above the rear wheel, but I do not know if the door has ever been removed. I've looked at how the door is attached to the body and have considered loosening these bolts to align the door, but would like to hear from others who have been down this road before. Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
You might start by adjusting the little rubber wedge at the bottom rear of the door. It's often out of position.

If that doesn't work, look closely at the door alignment and how the latch contacts the striker plate. I would assume the striker plate can be loosened and adjusted (did this to good effect on the Milano, never tried on the Spider). Unless the door looks incredibly out-of-whack it'll be a much easier job to play with the striker than to move/adjust the whole door, so you might want to start with that.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Your drivers door hinge may have some wear in it, allowing some up and down motion. My 88 drivers door is that way. Because of the wear, the door actually wants to strike low, but the wedge and door striker "jump" it up into position just as it hits them. My wedge was actually broken and I replaced it. The wear in the hinge caused the new wedge to break within a few closures. Now it is just the same as before. I bought a used hinge set off of another spider, and one of these hinges has wear, one does not. I am assuming that the one without the wear is from the passengers side. I am getting ready to install that hinge in place of my drivers hinge, on the assumption that the passengers side gets less use than the drivers side. The hinges appear interchangeable.

The 2 leaves on an Alfa spider door hinge are cast steel, and the hinge pin is actually a split roll pin. It seems to me that the split in the roll pin is scraping away at one or both of the leaves as the door swings back and forth. If replacing the hinge on my car corrects the problem, I am going to see if a machine shop can press out the roll pins, ream the holes, and install a solid steel pin with an oil grove so that the remachined hinges can be lubricated in the future. I will add a post when I change out the used hinge and let you know if it corrected my problem.
Robert

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,169 Posts
I'd first look at the door latching mechanism to see if it is dragging on the striker plate. Close the door until the latch comes in contact with the striker plate. The U portion of the latch should line up with the "post" on the striker plate. If not, the striker plate can be adjusted. As Gubi suggested, check the position of the black block near the bottom of the door. It should align with the corresponding "cut out" on the door jam. The black block can be adjusted.

Neither of these things should be adjusted until the door is properly aligned in the door jam. Make sure that you are happy with all of the gaps before making any adjustments to the striker plate or black alignment block.

One last thing that could be causing the issue is the limit strap. These things can be mounted 180 out (or upside down). If installed incorrectly, the end of the strap will hit the inside of the door skin. See the last photo.

Attachments

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,169 Posts
Door alignment

For me, door alignment is a bit of a challenge. Loosening the fasteners on the door hinge will allow you to move the door in the directions indicated in the first picture. Loosen all of the fasteners, but not to the point that the door is floppy. You want them snug enough to hold the door, but not so tight you can move the door. Once you get the door where you want it, just tighten a couple of the fasteners to hold the door in that position.

Next, look towards the back of the door to see how it aligns in the door jam. If it's to high or too low, you need to remove the door panel to gain access to the fasteners. The last picture indicates the directions you can move the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My God, ossodiseppia! You do beautiful work. Your Alfa is a masterpiece. I am very impressed!
You will die twice every time a fly lands on it. Once when it lands, and once when you see the dent.
Robert

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driver door alignment seems low

Thanks everyone for the info/advice. I looked at the doors and I found that I do not have a block installed on either door. I need to get these. I'll probably order them from IAP. I took pictures of the door/body alignement. It looks like the driver's door is a little lower than the passenger side door. So which is best way to raise the driver's door? Should I loosen the fasteners that are on the body or the fasteners that are on the door? I looked at the fasteners on the body and it looks like they have been previously adjusted. I'll try loosening these and adjusting door height. This looks like a job for 2 people (one to raise/hold the door and another to loosen/tighten the fasteners).
Driver door gap.jpg
Passenger door no gap.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can adjust the vent window independently of the door. There are are bolts inside the door near the bottom that when loosened will allow you to move the vent up and down, forward and back and in and out.

·
Registered
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,936 Posts
You can adjust the vent window independently of the door. There are are bolts inside the door near the bottom that when loosened will allow you to move the vent up and down, forward and back and in and out.
Steve makes a good point....from the pics it does not look like you want to raise the door that much....just adjusting the vent window looks like the better option

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Hey 87spiderquad,

I have a similar issue with an 88. Roll your windows up and take a look at where the back edge of the glass lines up with the hardtop. On mine, the glass actually hits the hardtop on the driver side but lines up perfectly on the passenger side. I have the same size gap on the vent window on both sides.

The other thing you should do, is make sure your hardtop is under the hooks in the rear. If its not, it will angle the top enough to give you different gap sizes in the front.

How far down do you have the J-Hooks tightened on the top?

Ed

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks This is a great BB

I think this forum is amazing, I have not a volunteer drop of blood in my body so I am so appreciative of Guys Like Osso and Serie4 along with truckloads of others who take the time to answer all these questions....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts