Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the discussion of problems with Caribou I thought I had better ask if anyone has done business with Biba Restorations? I am planning on buying the seat belt kit they sell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I to would like to hear about anyone’s experiences with Biba as well. I sent them an e-mail earlier this week asking for more information but have not got a reply yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far, my experience with them has been ok, but it has only been email back and forth. No money has changed hands. I received a prompt and detailed reply to each question I had.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I just found out my name/site has come up in conversation here. I really appreciate the very nice comments. I do want to say that I don't keep a large inventory of these belts or other products I sell on the shelf but I do try to fill orders as quickly as I can. Since both the belts and the aftermarket belt guides I include come from Europe, it can increase the time from when I receive the order to when I can ship. However I then ship Priority.

One of the main reasons I sell this particular belt is that it is self retracting and can quite cleverly be installed in any position - unlike most any other self retracting diagonal belt. I specify a particular place to install the reel (retractor), but should you want to install them on say a lower cross bar on a roll bar, they would work fine.

Please feel free to email me (as some of you have) should you have any questions.

Biba

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
125xIn, thanks for the nice comment.

Ken, I'm sure this might have changed depending on the model year, but where are the belt anchor points on your GTV and what year is it? Spiders of course have the usual reinforced threaded opening on either side of the seats as your car does. Also Spiders have another one in about mid way up from the floor in the rear, near the inside wheel hump. I might be wrong but I believe GTV's have this same opening back there and was to be used with static diagonal belts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case and a 'somewhat' bulky reel will fit back there and you're willing to drill a small hole in the panel to expose the threaded hole, these belts should work just fine. If you do use the backseat for passengers they'll have to lift up the belt and duck under it to get in the back.

Now...if you have threaded holes at the top and bottom of the B pillar - or are willing to reinforce those areas and install captive nuts I'm pretty sure I can get you a pair of ones that work there. This of course is the ideal location - though keep in mind even if you install reinforced threaded holes, most likely the B pillar was never intended to withstand the force of the belt pulling in the event of an accident - though I would imagine it would hold up just fine.

Let me know if you want to pursue this further.

Biba

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Biba,
It's a 74 GTV. It's currently in storage for the winter but the car currently has 2 reels. One mounts on the floor beside the seat and the other is on the side. The belt then goes up to a swivel mounted just below the window where the stock shoulder attaches. . I'm attaching a photo I got from Alfarestore a few years ago showing what it looks like behind the panel. On my previous 2 GTVs, I bought seat belts from Germany. The reel on those mounts on the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Ken, I'm a bit confused in that the photos you're showing me have the reel a bit more than half way up from the floor. Has the vertical piece been added 'after teh fact'? Or is this an earlier GTV and Alfa/Bertone later changed the reel's mounting close to the floor?

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of purchasing belts from me, but what was wrong with the ones you bought from Germany?

This to me appears to be a very odd angle for the belt to be coming over the shoulder. It seems as if it would come over the very edge of the seat back, then over the shoulder and on down. If correct, doesn't it easily slip off one's shoulder?

Biba

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Sorry Biba, I tend to provide too much information and cause confusion. The GTVs never came with reels. It seems the vertical piece was only in the 74 model. I've attached a picture of the German belts. My current GTV has belts with 2 reels and the belts are frayed so I'm looking for replacements. This side of the pond seems a better choice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Seat Belts for Series 2

I have 1975 Series 2 Spider with a rear seat. Can the retraction unit be placed in the floor area at foot level. Back in 1980 I had a Fiat 124 cc which had retractable seat belts fitted in this position as a compliance measure.

Provided you have pivot point closer to the top of the seat should this unit work affectively.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Freddie, I don't recommend installing the diagonal belts on the floor directly behind the seat. That said I sold two pairs to an owner of an older four seat Ferarri. I have no idea where he placed the reels.

Notice: I'd like to apologize here that several of you ordered diagonal belts from me after reading the comments here as well as Ken Chipps who started the thread.

If everything could go wrong with an order, this was it. I don't sell enough of these diagonal belts to order directly from the manufacturer (minimum 100 order) so I purchase from a distributor in Europe. He was out so he had to order them which obviously delayed shipping. Then for the first time the order went to customs which delayed delivery as well as their tacking on fees which were payable upon delivery. Since I include items, large fender washers, seat belt guides, detailed instructions, plus making a slight modification to the reels, I open every one. There were no covers for the reels.

I contacted the distributor, who contacted the manufacturer who in essence said they decided to quit supplying the covers, but failed to mention it. The manufacturer sent the covers to the distributor who in turn has shipped them to me - arriving hopefully sometime next week. (Note: The manufacturer will still supply the covers, but they must be asked for them ahead of time - which I will make a point to do).

Sounds like a bunch of excuses, but all I can say is along with the ghastly dollar to pound/Euro equation, these delays really do make things difficult for everyone concerned. Normally, even if I'm out of stock, I can ship within six or seven days. And I ship Priority.

So again my apologies to everyone who ordered the belts, but you will be receiving your orders shortly.

Biba

1 - 20 of 25 Posts