Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a '74 Spider on EBAY right now out of Pleasanton CA. The dealer is Classic Cars Ltd. Anyone know it? It's had a facelift but it look strange under the windsheild in the cowl area on the passeger side. Has anyone seen this car in person?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-ALFA-SPIDER-KAMN-BACK-RESTORED-RED-2-LITER_W0QQitemZ220159946544QQihZ012QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also another '74 in Chi area, Naperville. Anyone know of this car??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-Spider-Original-and-Beutiful-So-Cal-car_W0QQitemZ130163634878QQihZ003QQcategoryZ84154QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope I posted these links properly. Any help is appreciated. THX

·
Banned
129 Posts
The first one looks like a good, solid car, but with an early Spider, I'd probably want to see it in person or have someone I trust take a look. It's already at $6K, though, which is pretty close to the top for a car like that, at least in my book.

The second one rubs me the wrong way, or maybe it's the seller. "The paint looks show room new", "Act now to get the nicest 74 out there". The $4200 price is already too high on that one.

·
Registered
974 Posts
On the first one, the seller has good feedback, and has extensively documented the car's condition. Looks good, and my impression was that chrome bumper spiders could easily go above $6K.... not sure what you mean by "it looks strange under the passenger side cowl area." I can't see why one would restore a car and not replace those worn pininfarina badges, or the door check straps...

I like the second one too, if it's truly original... though I would always have some suspicion of snow-country cars. The black headlight nacelles and kamm-tail area are not to everyone's taste, but might be a good way to save some money, along with that duct-tape top. It's not as comprehensively described as the first one, but nonetheless he has plenty of photos showing critical areas like the floors and rockers. Oh, and I just saw the CA plates on it, so disregard the snow-country reference.

I have to say, I would never feel comfortable spending that much on a car without inspecting it first, or at least having a trustworthy person check it out.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree!

Thanks guys, I would never buy a car on Ebay sight unseen, but the fever was coming upon me. I was hoping to find someone who knew the cars. I'll give it a bit more time, but i can't travel right now so I'll probably pass.
THANKS AGAIN

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
continued.....

I like the car in CA and I think the right one is worth 6k and more., but I'm a bit suspicious of the facelift, check straps, emblems. and wide gaps are certainly something that would be taken care of in a quality repair shop. It just makes me wonder about the rest of the car.

The one in IL is very interesting as a survivor. The seller tells me that the black accents were an original signature of the dealer in CA. I would certainly get rid of them. The ad makes no mention of mechanical issues, I'm trying to find out now.

THX

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Original mirrors?

I think not. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts