Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
If you're really interested in that car, I would try to get a hold of a Alfa head around that area, or fly out there. I don't want to say never, but you have to look at the car before you buy it. Same deal with early 911's.

my cents

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
The description lists Jonathan Kirstein as a previous owner, and I know he is about as fussy as it gets about his projects. If he was the one that set the car up and made most of the modifications, this car should be SOLID.

It looks very well set up to me, with sensible modifications that should increase the level of enjoyment and don't look out of place.

Depending on where the reserve is set, the auction could be a deal. While not overpriced, I'd say the "Buy It Now" option is not a smokin' deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What questions should I ask the guy? I'm sorry for the newbie stuff, but 15,000 miles ago for the rebuild is great, unless it's 15,000 race miles, right?

Do these motors leak oil? If so, is it inevitable? As in they all leak, like an old Harley?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Most Alfa 4 cylinder engines leak oil to some degree. If you find one that doesn't, that could be a keeper. Provided that it contains oil to begin with. ;)

Is it me, or did we lose a few posts in this thread? Other eBay Alfas up for auction? Hmmm. While I'm at it, how come after saving a post the screen refreshes to the top of the page now?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hey gang!

That car belongs to my friend and fellow club member, Dale. He's a great guy, re-builds old BMW motorcycles for fun and is very honest.

I have driven the car. It really IS very beautiful and his assessment of its condition on E-Bay is very truthful. If I had the money, I would buy it...that's for sure!

Recently (like last weekend), he got together with one of our Alfa Gurus and re-set all the SPICA adjustments, so it is running better than ever. I think right now he is just putting in some new points to make sure she starts perfectly.

The only issues that the car has, are that it HAS been repainted (in its original color), and there are just a few, very minor chips. Under the hood, the car is clean. There is one small leak (which Dale is fixing this week) that is in the vent windows (around the vent window frame on the passenger side, I think).

The wheels are really nice, the seats, carpet and other interior bits are very nice, the tires have lots of tread left, the transmission is smooth, with less second-gear crunch than most 105/115s I have driven (quite a few!).

Feel free to ask me, or better yet - Dale any questions.

No financial interest, etc.....

Cheers,

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would ask the guy what was done as part of the engine rebuild - just a head job with new cams and headers or a more complete rebuild?
Were there new pistons and liners (original or higher compression), crankshaft, seals, timing chains, etc, etc. People have different definitions of what 'rebuilt' means.

He says he's got all the receipts - I would ask him to fax the last bunch to you and see what's been replaced in the last 3 years - obviously small things like oil pumps, fuel pumps, alternators, regulators, etc.

What would worry me more is the fact that the 2nd gear synchro has gone. That's not a huge deal by itself, but you should probably budget an additional $1-2K for a transmission rebuild at some point in its future.

The body certainly looks solid, but as you know cars ALWAYS look better in the picture, even if the owner's not trying to hide anything

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Yeah, Nikos' advice is good...but, honestly this car looks better 'in person' than in the pics! The second gear synchro is 'far from gone'! This is the owner's first Alfa, and when he got the car, I had to explain to him that as an Alfa, it really got its power at higher RPM than a V8 does. I also believe that he really doesn't understand 'Alfa' shifting. I had NO trouble with second gear when I drove it, provided I used my usual 'Alfa' "shift gently" technique.

As for the re-build, I don't know the details, but I believe that it was a complete re-build done while in Kirschstein's care. This car was recommended to the current owner by Dave Pratt of AONE, and the current owner has had it for about one year.

In any event, knowing Dale, I am sure he'd be glad to answer any and all questions. If you want someone to go and have a look at the car, I can do that (if you trust me ;))

Cheers,

·
Registered
486 Posts
If the car was recommended by Dave Pratt that says a lot since he's bought a few GTVs in his time.

Take a look at his website Dave Pratt - there are some interesting stories about his GTVs and his trips to pick them up. Might be worth dropping him an email if he knows the car.

Sounds like a nice car from Alex's description. Between Alex's description and a copy of the receipts for work done you could probably bid with a high degree of confidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts