Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1972 Spider in good running order, located in the state of Washington.
However, it is "stuck" on Shaw Island.
Evidently, for the 300 people on Shaw ISLAND, they can only get to mainland via a ferry that only travels a few times a day, AND IF YOU WANT TO TAKE YOUR CAR, you have to reserve a place on the ferry 2 days ahead of time. (Evidently foot traffic is no problem)
...and the ferry takes almost an hour travel time from Shaw to Anacortes WA.

So, you can imagine trying to arrange for a trucker to hook up with this car on Shaw.
Of the dozen or so transporters I have used, the drivers NEVER (yes, NEVER) arrive on time, let alone could guarantee nor predict even what day they would arrive for pick up.
So, how in the world could a reservation be made for a ferry trip for the car 2 days in advance of an unknown and unreliable pickup date.
I truly can't expect the Alfa seller to move the car over to mainland and sit there waiting for the random day and hour that the truck appears.

So, I'm looking for solutions.
1) Find an Alfa guy in the WA area to collect and hold the car for me until either a truck gets to your address or I get there (see option #3 and 4 below);
2) Find an Alfa guy to DRIVE the car to some major city in which he LIVES (hey, Missoula MT, Denver CO, Rapid City SD, even Cali!), to hold the car there a few days until I can get a truck to show up at that city, or I fly in to finish the drive;
3) Fly out there and spend the next 5 days driving 2400 miles back to KY;
4) Fly out there and drive the car to some midway point between WA and KY, where there is a friend or relative, to then have a trucker pick the car up and truck it back to KY.
5) Other suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Interesting story and sorry I can't help. Might want to post in a broader forum here on the board. I assume the Alfa person does not need to be a Spider person.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting story and sorry I can't help. Might want to post in a broader forum here on the board. I assume the Alfa person does not need to be a Spider person.
Bob,
Right you are. I'll try broader location. There are so many sub-sectional forums that I'm not quite sure which to chose.
I saw there is a "Transportation" forum, but truth is, I'm not quite sure if that gets much visibility -- whereas, I'm hoping someone's interest might be piqued about moving this Spider.
Dunno

·
Registered
74 GTV 2000
27 Posts
You might select #4- Alfa's are always an adventure! The islands are beautiful, make a trip of it! BTW it is winter and snowing now in Missoula, Rapid City, and soon to be Denver. You won't get people in these areas to drive an Alfa home. Your sense of distance might be off too- Missoula to Anacortes is 10-12 hours of driving and it's the closest city you listed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might select #4- Alfa's are always an adventure! The islands are beautiful, make a trip of it! BTW it is winter and snowing now in Missoula, Rapid City, and soon to be Denver. You won't get people in these areas to drive an Alfa home. Your sense of distance might be off too- Missoula to Anacortes is 10-12 hours of driving and it's the closest city you listed.
Already had scoped out the map - 2400 miles to Louisville. How in the world did the pioneers do it, in oxen-drawn wagons, too!
I figure if we drive fast enough, the nose of a Spider ought to be able to overcome snowdrifts, or at least slide over them like a bobsled. Don't they call these models "bobtails"?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I would take door #3 and make it an adventure. However, winter is nearing which could interfere with your plans. If you have a transporter in mind, couldn't you call them and see if there's a warehouse/holding point that the current owner could drive it to an leave it? The transporter would then pick it up from that point at their convenience.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Stasha, justcallmefred is up in that area. Not volunteering for him but worth it to reach out and see if he has any ideas.
I was going to suggest the same thing. I believe his shop is in Anacortes.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
You should check to see if there is a direct ferry from Shaw Island to the mainland. Some of the small islands only connect with the larger islands hence two ferry schedules involved. Suggest you arrange with seller to deliver Spider to mainland. At the very least they should deliver to ferry depot and whoever picks it up could "walk on" to take delivery so as to avoid lengthy stays on the islands between ferry schedules. I bought a Spider off one of the islands some time ago. The seller delivered and parked the Spider on the mainland, left keys and paper work with a friend. I picked it up having never met the seller in person. If a ferry only runs Every few hours that could result in a longer stay before the next ferry.
There is a very large number of Alfa owners in the Seattle area. Perhaps contracting the local AROC chapter in the area would help.
Cheers, Jon

S

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
Have the guy you bought it from drop off the Alfa at a good car storage warehouse that you have pre-arranged payment. A good storage facility will help with arranging for shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I would contact Fred Russell, the President of the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club (NWARC). He knows all of the Alfa Romeo owners in Washington State and can probably arrange to get the car off the island for you, plus provide storage for it on the mainland. And he's a super nice guy.

·
Registered
what part?
10,725 Posts
this wont be helpfull, but when i was a kid i lived in. anacortes an oak habour,, my Father ( late ) is a U.S.Marine, and we were stationed there,, very beautiful place to live,, used to go to cranberry lake a lot durring the summer,, you are a lucky man

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would contact Fred Russell, the President of the Northwest Alfa Romeo Club (NWARC). He knows all of the Alfa Romeo owners in Washington State and can probably arrange to get the car off the island for you, plus provide storage for it on the mainland. And he's a super nice guy.
Ed,
Thanks. I'll try him if my next possible POC falls through.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does it HAVE to be an Alfa person? I have a friend up in Federal Way , who is a car guy.//he may know of , or maybe he can arrange this...he is part of Western Washington Pontiac association, has Firebirds, VW, Camaro and several friends w other type cars..

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bjorn, Good point and absolutely not necessary to be an Alfisto.
I'm trying a POC suggested off line by someone, then will try the Alfa club, and then can I try your POC?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm trying a POC suggested off line by someone, then will try the Alfa club, and then can I try your POC?
Thanks.
sure....I will forward your post to him...then try to PM you his email...he may know someone close...who can help....

actually email me at [email protected] and Ill try to hook you guys up together

Reactions: stasha

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks.
got this reply from Brett...
so, send me an ermail..I can get you his email...you can talk...
+++++++++++++++++
I'd be willing to help out if I can. I'm sure there are a few scenarios we could work out? It's about a 2-hour drive to Anacortes where the ferry would let the seller and the car off.

If he wants to fly in to be able to inspect the car, I could pick him up and drive him up there to meet the seller on this side. He could drive the car back to my house and I could store it in the Garage until the transport shows up and we could meet it with the car. Ideally if he could arrange for the transport for the morning after picking it up, then he would only have to get a hotel for one night and fly out the next afternoon or evening after the car is picked up by the transport.

Something like that.

Let me know...

Reactions: stasha
1 - 20 of 49 Posts