Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently doing a restoration on a 58 that was tampered with pretty thoroughly. So without knowing what was there originally I'm having a hard time placing interior components. If I could take a detailed look at an Alfa of similar vintage, it'd be more than helpful.

Thank you.
Tyler
Somerville, MA USA

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The issue I have is the bits that were in the dash weren't original. I ordered the new dash knobs, but I'm not sure if my headlight switch is correct or even where to source the other switches. As my current ones were replaced with toggles mostly.

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The owner's manual pretty much shows where everything goes with an artist's rendition of the dash.
Well the issue isn't so much where things go, it's what's supposed to be there. Since my headlight switch has been swapped out, the choke knob was swapped out (I've now remedied this), and most other switches replaced by rockers. I guess my inquiry wasn't so much about where things are, but what do they look like and where can I get what I don't have. I'll attach some pics of the hacked up dash I'm working with. The car is actually at paint right now, where all the holes with the exception of the:
-Ignition switch
-Light to the right of the ignition
-Gauges
-Radio

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
750 Dash

Yup !
You've got a project there ...

Aside from that honkin' big hole cut into the floor to allow for a 5 speed tranny ... that dash needs some serious rearrangement.

Here's an original 58 Spider dash - also note the tunnel-case 4 speed shifter position and size of the hole.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,807 Posts
Hi Tyler

That's an owner fitted cigar lighter on the extreme left and a 101 Sprint mirror on the dash top, but the rest of it is pretty much as the Factory intended.

You need to close these extra holes and reduce the size of the hacked aperture for the radio if you intend to run a repro blanking plate on the dash

What's your chassis number ??

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. These holes are all getting filled by the body shop as I type. I'm also getting the radio hole repaired. How is the radio block off fixed to the dash? I have one now, but it isn't threaded, just smooth dowels.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I am restoring a 1956 and 1959 Spiders. I believe that both cars have the same dash. I have a friend who sent many photos of his 1958 Spider to me and I will ask if I can post them on the bulletin. Grieg circled the holes that need to be covered up. The radio cover plate is held in place using steel clips and not nuts.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
The car should have had a Fispa fuel regulator/fuel filter. The regulator is used to remove electric fuel pressure variations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A beautiful car for sure. I notice there is no top, rear drape, and there aren't holes where the snaps would have been. Was it a factory topless car? I've seen pictures of this car before, and it's the only one I've seen like that.

Cheers
Tyler.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Tyler,

My 750F serial number is quite close to yours- AR1495.F.05176.
I pm'd you with my phone number, we're both in Somerville. Let me know if you'd like to take a look/measure anything. it would be fun to get together.

best,

Tony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts