Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Anyone Buying an iPhone

Yeah, and on that day the score will be Mac 1, Windows 2,358,255 in the Vast World of Suck competition. And I've got an XP box sitting here and a Vista (God help me!) partition running on my iMac so I know of what I speak.

Besides, you like Peugeots *and* Windows too? What are you, some kind of masochist? Why not just go for the trifecta and hire someone to regularly punch you in the testicles? :D

JJ - AT&T's international rates pretty much blow chunks (I'm going to Singapore next week and it was like $2.50 a minute...no thanks!). I can't recommend the iPhone for international travel unless you hack it to unlock it. Most folks I travel with use a cheapo unlocked GSM phone and just buy a prepaid SIM card when they get to the airport...it's the most economical alternative.

In Japan I usually rent a phone at the airport as it's pretty cheap there.
Another alternative which many of my internationally traveling friends use is Skype out. It works with their regular cell phone and costs 2.5 cents a minute for international calls. If you use your computer to call home, it costs zip; most of them carry their laptops so that it makes most of their calling free. We talk for hours to China with no fee using Skype when my friends are there. It is also free to use it domestically.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Another alternative which many of my internationally traveling friends use is Skype out. It works with their regular cell phone and costs 2.5 cents a minute for international calls. If you use your computer to call home, it costs zip; most of them carry their laptops so that it makes most of their calling free. We talk for hours to China with no fee using Skype when my friends are there. It is also free to use in domestically.
Pat, skype on the PC is really amazing. I use it all the time. Free calls and higher quality. Not so sure about what you say about skypeout though. SkypeOut is when you call a land line or cellphone from your PC. Have a look here: SkypeOut – call any phone, anywhere in the world Note the part about 'rates based on destination country'. I have found that calling cellphones in Europe is a tad expensive... Landlines are cheap to call though. One of my fav features is that I can fwd calls from my PC to my cellphone. My family, who are all overseas, can call my mobile for free.

Skype can run on Pocket PC devices, but not well at all. The processor speed is still too slow and memory is inadequate. And skype is a memory leaker....

Now, back to the Curve: if you are overseas and are in range of a wireless modem - WiFi, you have free calls back to the US (with the appropriate plan).

I want an i-Phone! But I can't give money to AT&T. They are expensive and in my opinion act in an anti-consumer manner. When I say expensive, I am referring to std 50-State plans. International? Don't even ask. It could make you cry.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Anyone Here Buying an iPhone / Skype Out

Pat, skype on the PC is really amazing. I use it all the time. Free calls and higher quality. Not so sure about what you say about skypeout though. SkypeOut is when you call a land line or cellphone from your PC. Have a look here: SkypeOut – call any phone, anywhere in the world Note the part about 'rates based on destination country'. I have found that calling cellphones in Europe is a tad expensive... Landlines are cheap to call though. One of my fav features is that I can fwd calls from my PC to my cellphone. My family, who are all overseas, can call my mobile for free.

Skype can run on Pocket PC devices, but not well at all. The processor speed is still too slow and memory is inadequate. And skype is a memory leaker....

Now, back to the Curve: if you are overseas and are in range of a wireless modem - WiFi, you have free calls back to the US (with the appropriate plan).

I want an i-Phone! But I can't give money to AT&T. They are expensive and in my opinion act in an anti-consumer manner. When I say expensive, I am referring to std 50-State plans. International? Don't even ask. It could make you cry.
I apologize if I gave you the wrong title designation to follow, you buy Skype Out credit to use with your cell phone. Here is another link that may clarify or explain it better. I know that the 2.1 cents a minute applies from China to California and from a Mid-Western state to California so I'm going to assume it applies to all US states. We're not all at our computers 24/7, but usually have a cell phone available 24/7.

I also looked at the European rates and they all appear to me in the 2.1 cents a minute range, some are 2.7 cents a minute, if you want to quibble over the .6 tenths of a cent per minute; the UK is 2.914 for premium rate band, but also has the 2.1 cent available, as I recall. Now, if you want to call Diego Garcia, that one does cost a little more: 1.867 per minute or East Timor is 1.441 per minute. Still a bargain, I'm sure over ATT and other service provider rates.

The link: Save on the move with Skype To Go

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hmmm... seems like I need to take a look at skype... (and fully agree on what was said about AT&T)... Good info, everyone!

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Anyone Here Buying an iPhone

Cheryl,

If it doesn't have to be Verizon, try the T-Mobile Sidekick LX. Much better screen and keyboard than the Treo. Doesn't do as much, but it doesn't sound like you need that.

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure to play with it a lot first before shelling out the bucks. There's a lot of phones out there that look good on paper feature-wise but kind of stink to use (I'm lookin' at you, LG enV...)
Tom:

Here's a link to the LG Verizon Voyager Phone that I'm most seriously considering; Verizon's competition to the iPhone. It's a little longer than I'd like, but you can't have everything. The keyboard is recognizable and usable. In two years I get a new phone again....who knows maybe it will be able to cook dinner and clean house for me by then.

The link: I4U News Photo Gallery - New Verizon Voyager Photos

My daughter has this phone, which I don't particularly like or care for: LG VX9400 Phone (Verizon Wireless); there's a picture at this link, 3rd item down:

Verizon phones Lg phones - Google Product Search

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,274 Posts
Looks like they updated the enV with a big external touch screen and a thinner package. The original enV was pretty physically clunky so those are both plusses. On paper the features look decent.

Like I said, just make sure you use it first. I was pretty unimpressed using the enV...it had a lot of neat features but I just found it sort of cumbersome to use. But maybe I'm just picky. The Voyager might be better if they rewrite the GUI to use the new touchscreen properly.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I ended up buying the Blackberry Curve. After some software issues, it's now up to speed. It's a wonderful little device. Does everything very well. Except surf the net. That's where the iPhone wins hands-down. The iPhone hype sure is tedious at this stage, but it has an operating system that seems to be 5 years ahead of anyone else's. Calling it a POS makes me think you've never used one.

I do agree that the iPod was entirely overrated. There were always better choices out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ended up buying the Blackberry Curve. After some software issues, it's now up to speed. It's a wonderful little device. Does everything very well. Except surf the net. That's where the iPhone wins hands-down. The iPhone hype sure is tedious at this stage, but it has an operating system that seems to be 5 years ahead of anyone else's. Calling it a POS makes me think you've never used one.

I do agree that the iPod was entirely overrated. There were always better choices out there.

Oh, I have used it...a friend bought on from the states(got it unlocked), I had a play with it....

20 minutes later, gave it back to him and said "into the bin with that!"

Needless to say, he wasnt impressed....and funnily enough, he no longer waxes lyrical about it anymore, indeed have heard him curse the thing several times

61 - 70 of 70 Posts