Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I want it, I buy it. Addicted to Apple and early adopter. See me fight to get in the shop tonight :)

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah there should be some interesting crowd footage on YouTube tonight. I was thinking of going to the local Apple store just to watch all the action.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I've been threating my wife that I might get one of those, whadda call 'em, cellular phones :cool:

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Anyone Here Buying an iPhone

I was just thinking if anyone here on the site is getting an iPhone?
Certainly, not me. I am not of the cell phone generation; I have enough trouble finding the contact and dialing the number let alone worrying about texting, picture taking, and all the other wonderful things it's supposed to do. When it can cook, clean, and do the laundry let me know, I may consider it.

My quite connected, electronic gadget daughter wants one; however, I don't use their provider so she's SOL, especially after her "new" phone went in the pool yesterday. Very lucky it dried out and works, even though the lovely dot shows that it's been wet so it will be an insurance claim with deductible if it fails.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,071 Posts
I plan on getting one for me and one for the wife. Her old cell is pretty much dead by this point, and the way the rate plans work it makes sense for me to get one too and just do the Family Plan.

I am in fact an Apple nutjob, though.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Admire the Phone, not the Carrier

First I'll come clean and say that I've worked in the cellular industry for over 12 years, none of them with ATT/aka Cingular/aka Cellular One and its former brands.

While I'm a big admire Steve Jobs and what he has done for computers, not just iPod and iMacs (I'm thinking of his days at NextStep between Apple on/Apple off) I think he has brought about a brilliant interface for the cellular phone as the consumate personal communication, information, and entertainment device.

The problem I see (and this isn't sour grapes from working at one of the other major cellular carriers) is that it IS limitted to one carrier. Alot of people are locked into multi-year contracts with their current carriers and won't be able to buy. Some folks simply don't like ATT/Cingular coverage or support, and there are probably some who really don't have an opinion about ATT/Cingular but they know they like their current carrier and don't want to risk that "working relationship" for an unknown network/customer service experience over "just a phone" if we can call the iPhone "just a phone."

Personally, I'd love to have one but I'll be one of the many that wait out the exclusive agreeement Apple has with ATT/Cingular which should run about, what, 3-5 years? Will the iPhone still be the hot phone device at that time? Till then I'll plug along with my Palm Treo and its successors (which is a pda/mp3player/video player & camera/phone/game device and much more - just not as slick!) and probably pay less in data fees than what ATT/Cingular will charge for the iPhone's required data/voice package.

Just my thoughts.....your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
If it weren't AT&T, I would have an iPhone in my hand right now. Like others, I'm waiting for Apple to sign up a better carrier... say, Verizon.

The only Apple product that doesn't interest me is the Apple TV; I don't see what the big deal is, really, about downloading movies and playing it on one's TV; I think Netflix is less of a hassle. Aside from that, I own pretty much everything else Apple, from the first Fat Mac 512K in 1984 on to a current Intel Dual-Core MacBook. Go Steve Jobs! I hate him for being this good sometimes.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
$600 for a phone that plays your Itunes and does a few other things is ridiculous in my book. I will take the free motorola razor that I got with my plan and talk on it happily ever after.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The $$ for the phone is not the problem. I dislike any cell phone that has a minutes plan. I am a blabber mouth and a $150++ phone bill does not sit well with me. I have Metro PCS unlimited talk and long distance so I can call my folks in FL and talk for the whole month and my bill will only be $60. Or I can go to FL and talk to CA for the whole month and my bill will be $60!

I would buy the iphone if Metro got it for there plans.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Well, gentlemen, I got one and it is about the most fantastic gadget since my Maerklin mineature toy train when I was 5.

Buying was easy: After seeing a ridiculous long line and wait time at the ATT store Fri evening, I simply walked into the Apple store on Sat morning after the gym and walked out with an iPhone 45 seconds later.

It is what all Apple products are: The UI is about as fantastic as my Junior Z. Super simple, elegant, everything works and everything will revolutionize the way we use a handheld for calls, getting directions, using the internet wirelessly, anywhere, anytime and much more. Signing up for service (via iTunes) took 3 minutes, learing how to use the thing? O seconds (Doesn't even come with a full manual and you do not need one at all - When did you have a gadget you could say that about last?).

And the soaring stock price paid for the two ones I bought and then some :)

The gentlemen comparing it to a RAZR - Nice joke, dude :)

Oh, and I changed the wallpaper to a nice shot of the double bubble roof of a 1900 CSS Zagato :)

Mike

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I thought Id just post this for any of you BB'ers that might have bought an iPhone.

Apple announced today its new iPhone prices so for those of you who bought a 600.00 iPhone they are now selling for 400.00. As you can imagine many folks are mad and my friend just came back from the AT&T store and was refunded 200.00 for the price drop.

Just thought Id mention it for any of you BB'ers who might be able to reclaim 200.00.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,071 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I waited :D I think I'll pick one up this weekend. Got my wife one in early July and it's freakin' sweet. I wasn't sure if I wanted one until I played with hers.

I'm not sure why people are upset the price dropped...I'm not. If I didn't think it were worth the money I wouldn't have bought her one. If I wanted it cheaper I would've waited.

Heck, when the Razr came out it was $500 and a year later they were giving it away for free (which was still too much...it should have come with a sack of cash).

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom,

My buddy who got refunded also bought his back when they first came out. I'd go see if you can get refunded the 200 and then you can put that towards the second phone. Wooohooooo!

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
BlackJack

Just bought the Samsung BlackJack instead of the iPhone.

Very nice machine, with real buttons! I can look at any web site...
EVEN www.alfabb.com

Size: 4.45 x 2.32 x 0.46-inches
Real Internet, Real POP3, and IMAP email.
Stereo Bluetooth.
3G.
$199.99 with a two year contract.

Syncs with my World from nearly anywhere. I've lived with it for some weeks now and it just gets better. The keyboard was a trial at first, but I love it now! The only bad thing is the battery life. I got the BIG battery and still I can only go 2 days while talking a bunch, emailing and surfing the net. But, can't go much beyond that. I guess thats because of the bright, detailed display.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
How many suckers fell for this new phone? My boss has it and i've played around with it and I absolutely hate it. I love my iPod, however.

I recently got a Treo made by Palm and it is excellent. It has a KEYBOARD unlike the iPhone, it is amazing. I almost got the blackjack; that was my second choice.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts