Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just barely fit in my 1981 Alfa Spider. Being 6’2”+ is not easy even in SUV’s much less a teeny Spider. :rolleyes:

However, my discomfort has nothing to do with the seat back position, rake or shifter length (although I might like the shifter extended a bit as well).

The thing bothering me is that the steering wheel is too close to the dashboard and therefore my knees. :mad:

Is there a steering wheel hub extender/adapter available or a suitable substitute to move the base of the steering wheel 1 or even 2 inch’s further out from its column? :confused:

I do not want to change the wheel if I can help it. I like the look of the stock one. I understand some have installed smaller diameter steering wheels. I also like the removable steering wheel WIlle R. in Europe has installed. He seems to be a tall fellow. I’ll write to him as well.

I have seen the gas pedal mod and will be fabricating mine soon. That is a great idea! As it is I need to wear a special type of thin size 13W deck tennis shoes to operate only one pedal at a time. ;)

Anyone have ideas or suggestions for a solution? What have other tall people done? Thanks in advance for any ideas you can throw my way. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
129 Posts
If you've got a Momo wheel/hub, they make a few extensions which fit between the hub and wheel, I believe ~12mm and ~25mm (1/2" , 1"). They come with longer screws in a kit that's not too terribly expensive. If you've got the original wheel, I think any extension would have to be custom-machined.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you've got a Momo wheel/hub, they make a few extensions which fit between the hub and wheel, I believe ~12mm and ~25mm (1/2" , 1"). They come with longer screws in a kit that's not too terribly expensive. If you've got the original wheel, I think any extension would have to be custom-machined.
Thanks. I'd hate to part with the original steering wheel but if that's what its going to take, then... :rolleyes:

If you have had experience with the Momo style wheel, does the horn work, is it a simple install?

I suppose there is not much to do, other than using a puller to get the old one off, and bolt the new one on and screw it down. I worry about the horn button working. I had one many years ago that made it impossible to hook up the horn on my old Fairlane. It was very odd, but worked as a simple steering wheel.

·
Banned
129 Posts
The trouble is finding the proper hub, as Momo hubs for Spiders are very rare. It took me two years of searching to find an original Momo hub for my Spider, but there are alternatives. I prefer the Momo hub because it looks the best, and because it's collapsible in the event of a collision. I don't know of any other aftermarket hubs with that feature, and I don't know if the Momo extension(s) will work with other hubs. You'll see Momo hubs offered on eBay and from some vendors, but the one you need for your Spider has a single keyway, rather than splines. Centerline sells some very nice steering wheels with hubs, so I'd check their site or catalog. Their hubs are a solid casting with a black wrinkle finish. If the bolt pattern and female threads are the same, the Momo extension(s) will work. Sparco sells hub extensions, too, but I've never used one of theirs.

Horn install is very simple. There is already a single wire (green, IIRC) that runs up through the center of your steering column, and that wire will attach to the button that comes with the new wheel. You'll lilely only have to crimp on a female spade connector. The wire provides a ground for the horn relay when the horn button is pushed.

http://www.centerlinealfa.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Interior_and_TopsAv_Steering_Wheels.html?L+scstore+qjfv9227ff30ee30+1235477909

·
Registered
246 Posts
Robert,

I'm 6'2" as well, most of my height is in my torso. I purchased a steering wheel from Centerline for my 88. One of the smaller diameter ones, and have been very happy. The stock wheel made it impossible to be comfortable. My left leg was forced up against the door and my right against the shift console. The smaller wheel sure eased that problem. They have several different models available.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Applicable?

A similar problem existed for a friend of mine who is probably 6-5 or 6-6. Obviously he does not fit in a Spider, but he had a comfort issue with his GTV-6. He constructed an extension that was sized perfectly to fit under the reversed factory issue cover of the steering column. In other words, he doubled the shaft length from the dash to the steering wheel. At the Portland convention in 2000 he parked side to side with other GTV-6s and it was easy to see something was "different", but difficult to tell what the difference was. If interested, I'll see if I can send some pix to the board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts