Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No locals seem to have one. Happy to pay the cost of shipping!

Alternatively, advice on alternatives to the official Alfa tool? I've found some options for adjustable and fixed universal pin wrench/cam holders on Amazon, but they pretty stingy with specs for diameter of the pins and width between them. And none are Prime, so I'd pay shipping, then pay return shipping when it's invariably incompatible with my engine.

Otherwise, advice on how to get the cam out so I can see what's going on with the blown up valve?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Dude you could just make a crude one for about $5. Get a 2x4 with some long threaded bolts. Drill holes offset in the right place and make the bolts long enough so that you can thread a nut fully down and tighten into 2x4 and put them in place. It'll work well enough.

Why do you need to remove the cam right now anyway? First step is to remove the head. Cam can be removed with cam belt and cogs still in place by the way.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That'll work? That's easy. I was worried wood would break, after reading some of the stories about metal parts bending and snapping while doing this job.

I'm just following the engine shop manual for cylinder head teardown, once it's removed. Some strong recommendations I have all of the known parts and tools ready to go before starting.

I did find some detailed instructions on making a cam pulley tool as well as a plate to aid with head removal.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've got one a retired Alfa mechanic gave to me if you're still looking for one.
I'm in Florida and will gladly loan it to you as long I am certain it will be returned.
It doesn't have an Alfa specific tool number on it, however.

Thanks,
-Clark

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I was worried wood would break...
I made one out of 3/4" plywood and a couple of bolts. Works fine.

Also, go the 164 section and read Alfisto Steve's threads (they are in 'stickies'). He has plenty of advice & tricks for DIY work arounds to work on the V-6 engines (the 12 valve 164 engine is essentially the same as the engine in the GTV6).

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
Got the tool as well as the pulley remover to change the cam seals.
Sorry no valve tool. PM me if you want to borrow them. They are the ALFA OE Tools

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to take my head to a shop. I was splitting the 2x4s. Tried reinforcing with a bunch of zip ties. Ended up bending the 1/2" grade 8 bolts. Methinks the center nut was overtightened or just badly frozen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts