Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent all weekend repairing rust around my windshield opening, now onto the fender tops. After spending 5 hours trying to make a patch panel for this section without luck.

Through my desperation, I'll ask again if anyone is parting a Berlina

The panels that I need are the tops of the fenders below the windshield. On the passenger side the panel is non-existent, the drivers side is very rusty.

I'm to the point that I'll even fly to you, cut out the panels and fly them home if its possible.

Kelly

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Daron Walker (Akitaman here) has a lot of experience making panels for old Alfas, TI's and Supers in particular. You can reach him at Vintage Customs.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I spent all weekend repairing rust around my windshield opening, now onto the fender tops. After spending 5 hours trying to make a patch panel for this section without luck.

Through my desperation, I'll ask again if anyone is parting a Berlina

The panels that I need are the tops of the fenders below the windshield. On the passenger side the panel is non-existent, the drivers side is very rusty.

I'm to the point that I'll even fly to you, cut out the panels and fly them home if its possible.

Kelly
Hey mate, I am sure I could help you with what you need but I suspect the cost and time in flying to Tassie might just not be worth it.

However, if you need any small parts let me know and I am sure I can probably help you out. My brother has 3 spare Berlinas, all knackered (2 2L and 1 1750). I also have a mate who inherited all my 2L Berlina spares when I sold my Berlina, which said brother now has.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Kelly,
I might be able to help. Post some pics of the areas you need.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a couple pictures of what I'm faced with. Ideally, I would like to find the fender patch section as well as the area around the windshield. I already rebuilt the passenger side around the windshield, so I could do the drivers side if I need to.

Kelly

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
berlina parts

I am impressed by your determination with the rust repair. I also own a glue windshield Berlina, with a similarly rusty windshield area. There are certainly many other Berlinas in the same state, so it is time to raise this question: is it feasible for a parts restoration company to invest in having a run of sheet metal repair panels manufactured? The entire windshield brow and windshield wiper panel, as well as the fender corners could be reproduced. I know that floor panels are currently available from a European source.
Availability of these parts can be a true catalyst towards transforming Berlinas from being dubious restoration candidates, to solid, viable candidates. That in itself could elevate Berlina values and which will further justify their restoration - a synergy of sorts.
I have a decent Berlina that absent the windshield rust problem, makes sense to take on restoring myself. Otherwise, to repair it right, my rational option is to hand it over to Akita-man (lucky I am in Washington State) and get ready to write a big check - and that's not really rational!! In the words of Allen Iverson, we're talking a Berlina here. A Berlina! A Berlina? No....
So, what are the chances of new repair panels?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
non existent, believe me. Shame because I just last week dismantled a Berlina. These areas were still rock solid. I'll try to go check if it still is at the parts yard today. Then I can cut that out en ship. But hey, this is really an easy repair for any decent bodyshop. Really.
Would cost me a day at most. Would blast the inside area, then cut out rotten outside area, fabricate new pieces, install, use some filler, trial fit window and presto. Not hard to do.

Rik

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a parts Berlina, but the panels you're after are rusty on my car too. Though I have lots and lots of other parts if you need anything else.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the problem where i live is that competent body shops are hard to find. most are only interested in panel replacement for insurance. the one fabricator around me is $250.00 an hour. I would be better off shipping the fenders from you snce it would likely be cheaper

I hope the berlina is still in the yard and you can get the parts

kelly

non existent, believe me. Shame because I just last week dismantled a Berlina. These areas were still rock solid. I'll try to go check if it still is at the parts yard today. Then I can cut that out en ship. But hey, this is really an easy repair for any decent bodyshop. Really.
Would cost me a day at most. Would blast the inside area, then cut out rotten outside area, fabricate new pieces, install, use some filler, trial fit window and presto. Not hard to do.

Rik

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I might be able to help. The windsheild is still in the car, I'll pop it out and see if the metal you need is decent. I will get back to you in a few days.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
If you can find a solid Berlina donor, I'd think it would be far cheaper/easier/faster to just use that body instead of cutting up the good car and grafting sections onto your rusty shell. Looking at the extent of the damage in your photos, I'm guessing that other parts of the body are rusted as well. At some point, you'll be replacing more metal than you'll be retaining!

It might be useful to know whether you are in Belmont, Mass. or Belmont, Calif.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I have a NOS (factory) Berlina nose panel if it ever comes to that. I'm not sure it would fit into the overhead lockers in any 747, though! :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
re: berlina rust

I don't know what has changed, but quite a few years ago I left a complete front clip from a '69 berlina in the basement of Grand Prix Motors (now Ferrari of Seattle) since I didn't have space for it on my moving truck. Not likely still there, but if they have it still, they have probably forgotten it. Maybe worth asking about?
Craig

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Driver's side patch

Well after some effort I have a patch panel for the driver's side. I first laid down some tin foil, then I layed up two layers of woven fiberglass to form a mold. Once this cured, I then inverted the fiberglass mold and embedded it in a half a quart of Bondo to make a hammer form. Then the hammering began. I placed a piece of 18 gauge metal over the form and clamped it down. I kept hammering until the metal took on the shape of the form.

I'll need to tweak it a little when I weld it in, but at least I have something to work from.

Is there anyone in the SF Bay Area with a good passenger side that I could take a mold off of? Mine was completely gone, there's not even enough for me to make a mold.

Kelly

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
My spacial reasoning skills are failing me today, but is there a way to make a reverse mold from the current mold? Make a mirror image?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts