Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Am taking off my GTV-6 steering wheel, and of course it isn't simple. Have a wheel puller but I need 2 screws about 6 inches long or so, in 6mm size. Probably wont find those but metric rod will do it. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
It's easier just to make them.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Pooh! You'r right Robert. I hate searching for odd stuff, so buy the tools to make what's required. Made a new type Weber ball bearing driver this afternoon. Works nice!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Making your own

There are a couple solutions. I went to Harborfreight

46 Piece Bolt Puller Set

and bought their cheap puller(I made it work for $13)and then went to ACE hardware and got the small metric parts you need. I found a long bolt in an Allen hex head. My ACE has a lot of metric threads to choose from. You can also take a long threaded rod in SAE. which is close (1/4" ?) and rethread the ends just buying a die. The die is fairly inexpensive and you only need the ends in metric, correct?
6" seems long, my spider didn't need anything that long, but your car is different.

Your other alternative is to contact ClassicAlfa as I recall they have a tool to buy or rent.

Classic Alfa - Search Results for "wheel puller"

I hate pulling steering wheels. It can be awful. Don't hurt yourself. Consider a few beach towels to keep things from flying in your face. Or not. You are probably a better mechanic than me.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Im with Gordon on this.Start buying some odd tools....when you can....that way you will always have it . it will save a lot of time and money in the long run

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Great ideas by all. I revised mine to fit Alfa's.
A few things that may help: liberal use of lubricants overnight, some pullers have a tapered end on the center shaft which will " mushroom" the steering column. Make sure there is something flat covering the end. I use thick flat washer. Finally once you have tension on the puller, give the end of the center shaft a quick rap with a weighted hammer, remembering most Alfa steering wheels have aluminum threads and you are using steel bolts. Very easy to pull out the threads

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I have honed in on McMaster-Carr. Will order the threaded rod tonight. Previously, I had never heard of this company. Now it's on my desktop, so I appreciate a new source. By the way, Dr.G., I am not a "better mechanic" than ANYone. Ha ha. In fact, in college, I sold a '58 Spider in baskets after attempting to rebuild the engine. And I haven't improved any since then. I envy those who are great mechanics.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Another angle is to visit a nearby wrecking yard and look for a pair of imported car battery hold-down j-hooks. They are usually about 8+ inches long with 6mm rolled (strong) threads. For a couple of beers, a friend with welding equipment can affix nuts on the shafts where ever you wish. Been there, done that, works.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I believe a 15/64th machine screw will go into a 6mm nut well enough to suit your purposes, if you can find one in the length you need.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well today, I travelled into inner-city Cleveland, wher a company called All-Ohio Threaded Rod sold me two 8-inch long, M-6 rods to add to my Sears wheel puller kit. All the way home, all I could think of were the dozens of posts that said pulling the steering wheel was a nightmare. Anyway, hooked it up, shot a spray of WD-40 onto the 26mm center nut, put a little torque on it, and it popped right off. No sweat, Easy-Peezy. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sam

1 - 15 of 15 Posts