Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For several years I have been using a duplicate ignition key for my Milano. I have the original steel Alfa key (with the chunky plastic handle with a built-in light) in reserve. I seem to have lost my duplicate and will now be looking to have a copy made off the original. The duplicate I was using was brass and labled "Ilco" and "made in USA" with a number that began with "F", IIRC.

I've had a couple hardware stores tell me "no can do" when presented with the Alfa original. Does anyone know of a blank that can be easily obtained in the US? I also have a steel Alfa blank, but I recall no one wanted to deal with it when I had to get it cut in the past (something about steel being too hard for their equipment).

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
For several years I have been using a duplicate ignition key for my Milano. I have the original steel Alfa key (with the chunky plastic handle with a built-in light) in reserve. I seem to have lost my duplicate and will now be looking to have a copy made off the original. The duplicate I was using was brass and labled "Ilco" and "made in USA" with a number that began with "F", IIRC.

I've had a couple hardware stores tell me "no can do" when presented with the Alfa original. Does anyone know of a blank that can be easily obtained in the US? I also have a steel Alfa blank, but I recall no one wanted to deal with it when I had to get it cut in the past (something about steel being too hard for their equipment).
Have you tried these guys?

QUALITY KEYS FOR Alfa Romeo Milano (75) 1985-89

I've gotten keys from them before. Great to deal with. If you have the key code they will cut the keys for you.

Drew

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Have you tried these guys?

QUALITY KEYS FOR Alfa Romeo Milano (75) 1985-89

I've gotten keys from them before. Great to deal with. If you have the key code they will cut the keys for you.

Drew
Stuart is great @ keys4classics.

He'll even cut a key from a PHOTO. Done this in several instances, and he has always delivered a key that works tight out of the delivery envelope.

He also has a great selection of the Silca key blanks if that's all you want.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I´ve also used them for the following:

- gas cap and door keys (SAFE type) for my gtv2.0, he cut them once I sent the code.
- door keys (SAFE type) for a friend´s gtv6, he cut them from the picture.

All of them work great and arrived promptly.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
iLco ft48 x166

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iLco ft48 x166
That's it! I'll try to call around and find somebody with one of these.
Also, thanks for the heads up on keys4classics: I have an uncut Alfa blank but no one around here wants to cut it. Unfortunately, I don't have the key code.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
That's it! I'll try to call around and find somebody with one of these.
Also, thanks for the heads up on keys4classics: I have an uncut Alfa blank but no one around here wants to cut it. Unfortunately, I don't have the key code.
You don't need the code if you have it cut at Keys4classics. They decode from a photo.

You also can send Keys4classics a photo of your key and he will send you the code, thus allowing you to have it cut locally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fiat key blanks works for a 75

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is probably OK in Denmark, but Fiat's are even rarer in the US than Alfas!
Alfas were imported up to around 1995; Fiat importaion stopped some years before that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just trying to help with alternative applications, which should make it easier to search for blanks that will fit, but maybe not be listet for Alfas

As i understannd Fiat has opened dealerships in the US again. Shouldn't they be able to get blanks from Europe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
HELP !! Lost key. Where Key Code?

What do you do when you have lost the key to your Milano?

It is good to know about the keys4classics guys but I do not even have a picture of the key.

The car is open so I can get into it.. but where do I look for a key code or some other indicator that they can use to make a new key?

Thanks any help
\SilverVerde

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
What do you do when you have lost the key to your Milano?
I have read that there is supposed to be a key code on the outside of the lock cylinder - but I have not actually seen that on either our Spider or GTV6. Perhaps they were merely stamped on and the ink got washed away?

I was able to get keys make for a keyless MGB by taking the car to Ye Olde Fashioned Lock Smithe (a rare breed these days). He took a blank that fit the lock, wiggled it in the lock then examined it with his magnifying loupes. He hand filed it, repeated the process 2 more times and made a key that worked in less than 15 minutes. I don't know if this process can be done with the Milano style key (assuming it is similar to the GTV6 key).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Blanks are readily available on eBay. I got a couple from there and had the local hardware store copy mine. I would imagine if you got one of them,a local locksmith could probably take it from there.

Also I have used Stuart for my Fiats and even for one of those stupid side drilled lancia door keys. He is great. I guess if all else fails maybe he would have some ideas.

Al

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,706 Posts
keys4classics even had keys for the roof rack used on the 164. And, fast service. Highly recommended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts