Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine just arrived, seems like it’s off something else, seems to have an oil feed to push the piston out but I don’t think there is oil where it fits on the engine, do you cut this off?
I’m not sure if there is a spring inside that can be released by Allen key (you can just see the socket) or if a spring is missing so anyone fitted one? A few tips would be nice
Instructions and photos should have been supplied

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
You’re in the UK! Just give Max @ AH a call if unsure.

Unfortunately AH aren’t renound for instructions and to be honest opens good communication with them about all things 105.

·
Registered
858 Posts
yes there´s a gallery behind where this tensioner goes coming from the filter, I´ve used one with a spring in the past with good results, not AH item

·
Richard Jemison
7,073 Posts
Timing / tensioner

Mmmmmm...... just noticed it's an MGB one. Thought it looked familiar. £8.00 from Moss Europe. Good mark-up !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGB-TIMIN...oWL:rk:27:pf:0
Typical Alfaholics pricing.

It`s the same "tensioner" used in the Montreal engine, and, it doesn`t
reduce timing changes due to chain stretch at all, it just reduces off throttle initial chain looseness that momentarily retards timing minutely.

Note KPC655`s post.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah, it’s easy to criticise after someone else has done the research and found an adaptable item to suit.
If AH was really sneaky they could have filed off the manufacturers name and you wouldn’t have any chance of finding out who the manufacturer was.

Richard (Alfa7), I suppose you work for free for the good of the Alfa community?

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Richard (Alfa7) and I suppose you work for free for the good of the Alfa community.... I’d shut up if I was you!
I dont agree with this statement, if everybody shut up on everything they know, they knowleg goes away with them and nobody profits from it. I did this myself back in 2015 already, nothing misterious about it, what nobody says its that you need to machine the front timming cover to accept the tensioner also. As a bonus I attacht a pic of the right tensioner with the spring in it instead of oil feed, the cost of this tensioner its 15€

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,073 Posts
Work for free?

Richard (Alfa7) and I suppose you work for free for the good of the Alfa community.... I’d shut up if I was you!
Nope I don`t. But I don`t overcharge for what I do, or sale. Alfaholics is very consistantly doing that.

Me Shut UP? LOL!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gents, not looking to start a discussion on merits of one vendor over another, I will say it’s pretty poor for something that needs this much work should be sold without explaining it’s not a simple bolt on item, I’m not worried about fitting it I have the tools and knowledge to use them, a simple paper template to locate the holes would have been cheap and easy to do
Reason for fitting this was to keep the chain tensioned this reduces noise on idle and prevents some wear on the sprockets, if I get other benefits I’m happy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont agree with this statement, if everybody shut up on everything they know, they knowleg goes away with them and nobody profits from it. I did this myself back in 2015 already, nothing misterious about it, what nobody says its that you need to machine the front timming cover to accept the tensioner also. As a bonus I attacht a pic of the right tensioner with the spring in it instead of oil feed, the cost of this tensioner its 15€
Interesting as mine has the spring shown in the photo you post, I assumed this was just a self adjustment mechanism as it’s “ratcheted” so ones it extends it won’t go back

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I think everyone is free to make their own pricing on parts. If there is a market for a part they buy for 5,0 and are able to sell it for 50,- good job done on marketing.
In the end, with the www at hand, its at the buyers to choose form the different options that can be found on the internet.

So where AH or any other parts supplier is or seems to be overcharging, its more on the (part lazy...) buyers that are willing to pay it, and do so many many at a time . If someone buys it, the price in our free market world is still right. Or am I missing something?

My main problem would be where the info that is given is not correct.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Nope I don`t. But I don`t overcharge for what I do, or sale. Alfaholics is very consistantly doing that.

Me Shut UP? LOL!
I'd say the inconsistently overcharge. On some things, I feel like they are quite reasonable. Their clutch/flywheel, brakes, and watts link are pretty comparably priced to other equivalent items (to the extent such items exist). In fact, the Alfaholics watts link was considerably cheaper than the Performatek one at the exchange rates when I bought it. Of course, on other things, pricing is totally silly- I'd say their short shifter is a good example, and their engine builds are pretty pricey (especially the heads).

It would be nice if they were more forthcoming about what some of their parts require. For example, their bump steer correction kit requires body modifications that I would consider pretty significant, but it's not indicated anywhere on the site- you just have to know to ask. Some instructions would also be helpful for the less obvious items.

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
Has anybody measured how much the camshafts actually turn on deceleration?

Pete

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For cam timing, depends on the accumulated chain slop. equally (more?) important to cam changes is ignition timing instability. I've heard numbers up to 5 degrees of ignition timing due to chain slop

·
Super Moderator
11,213 Posts
If you lighten up the intermediate sprocket, it doesn't want to move as much.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,633 Posts
For cam timing, depends on the accumulated chain slop. equally (more?) important to cam changes is ignition timing instability. I've heard numbers up to 5 degrees of ignition timing due to chain slop
Good point re ignition timing as the engine might have stumble when you get back on the throttle.

Thinking ... (yes dangerous)
Pete

1 - 20 of 30 Posts