Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Joe is 100% correct

2 rubber boots, a little one that goes over the top of the shift lever and then over the top of the turret to seal the oil into the box. A big one to go over the top of the tin hat inside the car & keep fumes etc out the ****pit

The 2 additional drainage slots were to be filed into the inner edge of the upper turret to allow excess oil to drain back into the box instead of collecting above the sliding plates inside the first boot - unless you intend racing your car, the standard return slot does just fine. If you have the little compressible rubber grommet above the sliding plates, then the plates are held steady and a minimum of oil migrates above these and the standard drain return can handle that. If your tranny is apart, filing the extra slots in the top of the turret is quick & easy, otherwise for a sunset cruiser, don't worry

There was a third rubber item, a bellows, which arrived with the split case boxes, 1493.90.066 - Boot, Intermediate, gearshift lever. This is a big thick rubber which went between the tranny tunnel and the tin top hat section, it has a large hole in the middle as it goes right over boot #1 on the tranny turret - it's function is to keep road noise out of the ****pit, so if you find such a thing in your stash about 4mm thick with a tranny turret sized hole in the middle.... that's what it's for.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Ray,

This was unseen here in Belgium indeed. We're in a region of Europe that is considered to be very stable.
Now we've seen houses of thousands of people being destroyed in one night time.
... it puts you back on the ground with your two feet...

Not to open a discussion here as I'm convinced it is not the correct forum to do that here, but it is generally considered here in Europe to be one of the consequences of climate change: hotter air in the sky can absorb and contain more water and that way the phenomenon of heavier rain falls in a very short time will be repeated in the futur, not leaving the water the necessary time to follow the natural way to the sea. In this case all the water comes from small but swollen rivers, carrying every obstacle with it to finally arrive in the valley of the 'river Maas' . ( 'river Meuse')
Off course the riverbed of the Maas couldn't absorb that enormous mass of water too. That river continues to flow and enters The Netherlands, so our nothern neighbours had their share of the mysery too some hours later.
Personally, we were very fortunate not to live in the same valley, but in Belgium, being a small country, distances are never big, the desastre was only about 100 km from were we live.

Thanks for your sympathy.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi all,

Here, for having all the boots in the same thread, some pictures of the other ones.

Rgds,

Thierry

Here the 1493.90.066 , the one Greig mentioned:

... and here the 102.02.13.618.00 :

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Everyone,

Thanks for all the incredible input on this topic; you guys are simply amazing!

I have the # 1493.90.066 bellows and have ordered the other two boots from CA and they should be here next Wednesday. I had to order some of the 10 mm steel balls from McMC as I had none, but had to order a pack of 20 to get 2; extras to share with my friends;)

Ray

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
I have the Classic Alfa boots in all my cars, the secret with the small inner boot is to have the correct 91mm thin clamp which seals it around the turret. Cable ties & hose clamps are a stop-gap measure which all result in dribbling a bit of gear oil. Been there, mopped that up.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My Spider came with a 131 Romablok clamp around the shifter funnel. It has been cleaned and zinc plated. Now, I need to locate a 91 Romablok clamp for the lower boot. Any ideas?

Ray

IMG_0125.JPG

21 - 27 of 27 Posts