Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While searching for some parts for my '64 1600 Giulia Spider, on Elvezio's website, I came across the following item:
"Gear Lever Protection Rubber Ring - 1600 Model Alfa Romeo Gear Lever Protection. Part # SKU AZ0DZ298 @ €8.10

I couldn't find any such item shown/listed om the GSP Catalog in TAV 40, pp. 108-110.

Is anyone familiar with this item? If so, exactly where does it go/fit?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joe,

Do you have any photos of this part in place?

Ray

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Goes just above the sliding plates and just below the shift lever forged base.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry, Ray, I don’t have a clear photo.
As Gordon said, it sits on top of the sliding plates. Once installed it is almost completely covered by a metal cup, what Alfa call the “housing” , part number 102.02.13.624.00.
Not sure about the Elvezio picture; mine from Alfastop was much shorter, more like a 5mm thick rubber washer, maybe 25-30mm diameter to fit inside the metal cup.
Joe

·
Registered
845 Posts
When was that seal first used? Was that an upgrade implemented following a Tech Bulletin at some point or does it go back to the tunnel cases?
My ‘61 101 has one sitting on the top cup (sliding plate), has two I.D.s, as in a smaller ring molded on top of the wider part. It’s more like a two level rubber washer, really: As in a black rubber barber shop quartet looking hat with a hole on top…Are we writing about the same seal? Or is this a Giulia only item? I hope I have the correct one too. After my silver balls lesson I don’t want to dismantle everything again. Good question, Ray.

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
I've seen it on 4 speed split cases, but cannot be sure it was not added later. 101- 1600 5 speeds all had one unless someone did not install from my observations.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a photo of one of these installed on a shifter?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Parts book??

·
Administrator
4,296 Posts
Find the thread “Transmission Oil Leaks” in this forum. Post#12 has a photo.
Linking these two threads --> (9) Transmission oil leaks | Alfa Romeo Forums (alfabb.com) as per above

It's just a softish rubber sleeve which is compressed very slightly by the shift lever base and presses onto the top sliding plate. As I see it, it has 2 functions, one to stop the plates floating about making an easy path for excess oil and secondly to stop any potential 'chatter' or 'rattle' from the sliding plates. I've made my own for most of my boxes out of a simple rubber bung with the center punched out to suitable size

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greig, et al

That makes sense. I think I was confused by the form of the one Elvezio is selling, not realizing that it would be "mooshed" into a "conical" shape when assembled; just as mine is.

This leads to another issue:

The " Transmission Oil Leaks" discussion with its excellent photos of two shifter boots, begs another question which is: How many different shifter rubber boots are there supposed to be on a 1964 Giulia Spider?

The GSP catalog and the Veloce Spider supplement show only one rubber boot. However, more-than-one seller lists two different boots for use on 101 cars.

Elvezio lists: 1) Gear Higher Rubber Cowling - 2nd Series Model, part # AZ0DA306MA, and 2) Gear Lower Rubber Cowling - 2nd Series Model, part # AZ0DA307MA.

Tony Stevens, (whose habit it is to include the original Alfa part number whenever possible) lists:1) Split-case gearbox turret dust excluder rubber, 101 series (Alfa Part no: 102.02.13.618.00) and 2) Split-case gearlever (gear shift lever) upper dust excluder rubber, 101 series (Original Alfa Romeo Part No. for reference: N/A).

While the two Italian-to-English translations differ somewhat, there is no doubting that at some time, Alfa must have added an another boot to the original Giulia Spider design. But, why would it not have show up in either of the Giulia spare parts catalogs or supplements, I referenced above? Perhaps, someone has one of the loose-leaf editions of either the Giulia Spare Parts Catalog and the Giulia Spider Veloce Supplement, and it shows a publication, or release date.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI,

On the Alfa Stop website. in the ad for the Split-case gearlever (gear shift lever) upper dust excluder rubber, 101 series (Original Alfa Romeo Part No. for reference: N/A), Tony includes the following:

"Split-case gearlever (gear shift lever) upper dust excluder rubber, 101 series 1GB126
The Alfa Romeo Instruction Sheet # 0.00.052 of February 1965 instructed dealers to attach the lower edge of the gearbox turret dust excluder or bellows, AlfaStop # 1GB125, to the turret with a sealing compound before securing it with a Romablok or Copiglia type clamp. Click on the photo below.
The Information sheet went on to describe the provision of two additional drainage channels to increase the return passage of oil from the gearbox turret dust excluder or bellows back into the gearbox.
An earlier Alfa Romeo Information Sheet # 1.01.206 of October 1964 had instructed dealers to carry out modifications to the front of the gearbox and to the rear gearbox breather.
Both of these Information Sheets were reproduced in the Giulietta Register's magazine "GiuliettaLetta" issue # 144"

Those of you who have been involved in Alfaing will recognize the information, and the ramifications of it, though newbies may not grasp all that has been communicated via this memo.

From this, it appears that TWO shifter boots were .to installed on last series 101 Giulia Spiders, or is that an incorrect interpretation?

Ray

·
Registered
563 Posts
There were two boots from day one.
One, the inner, seals to the gearbox riser and keeps the oil inside the gearbox. It is shown in the Mechanical parts book.
The second,outer one, seals to the body and keeps fumes, dust and water out of the car interior, and is shown in the Body parts book.
The TSBs were merely to encourage the oil collected in the inner boot to make its way back into the gearbox rather than onto your garage floor.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joe,

I have a Giulietta Shop Manual and the Giulia Spare Parts Catalog, with the Shop Manual shows the same diagram as the SPC; only one boot. I have not heard of a Mechanical parts book.

For my own information, if you have an electronic copy of the Mechanical parts book page showing the two boots, could you take screenshot of it an post it here? Even a photo of a hard copy MPB page would be a great help.

Thanks so much!

Ray

·
Super Moderator
12,439 Posts
Joe is correct.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe,

I had been comparing all the photos on the BB of the Giulia shifter area and had a mental picture of how they "should" all fit together, but I was so focused on the shifter section that I never even thought to look in the Giulia Spider interior section. What a blind spot! Just another side effect of not having disassembled my Spider.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up, my friend. ALL you guys are so patient to teach and help.

Ray

Reactions: alfasprinty

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi all,

Here a picture of the upper dust excluder rubber ( 102.04.51.151.00)
Normally they have the Alfa number at the outside, but I also found one with the number at the inside.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, my friend. I hope you are safe from all the horrible flooding in Belgium.

Ray

1 - 20 of 27 Posts