Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has installed relays for the headlights in an Series 4 Spider, please send me a PM. I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask you, but I dont want to clog up the board with them until I know what I am talking about. THanks very much in advance. David

·
Banned
129 Posts
I've got relays in 3 Spiders; S2 thru S4. Pretty much the same in each case. The wires are even the same colors, IIRC. I mounted them on the left inner fender. If you've got specific questions, ask away.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, Art. Here is the problem I have. I can't locate/identify the original wires that lead to the headlight. They emerge from inside the fender into the headlight 'bucket' but I haven't a clue where they run from there. I can't find them among the wires that run along the engine compartment (unless they change colors in mid-stream). I too want to install the relays on the left side of the engine compartment, and I need to access the original wiring in order to connect them to the relays as the triggers. So, where did you access the original wires? Did they run inside the fender and, if so, how did you get to them? David

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric, The concept is indeed the same: use the original wires from the stalk switch to trigger the relays, draw power to the relays/lights from the alternator junction box, and run the power from the relays to the headlights. I just can't locate the wires that feed the headlights. They disappear out the back of the headlight bucket not to be seen again. Unless I am staring right at them and don't know it.

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
Here's a sketch from the Alfa Shop Manual. As Tifosi explained in another reply, the wires you are seeking run along the left inner fender then split at the left, front corner. The wires to the right side lights run along the radiator support - near the hood hinges.

In the sketch trace backwards from E5/E8 & E5/E7.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
IAP's spider workshop manual has it along with a few other paperbound incarnations.

Papajam is likely to have the original whatever with the stuff he's got over at the library.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So I noticed, Eric. Thanks -- it's helpful -- I think. I went searching through my Cardisc after you posted the wire routing diagram (my Cardisc has not only the S4, but also the S3 documents). I found your diagrams in the 1982-89 shop manual, but the 1990 manual and the 1991-94 manual had deleted them. Makes you wonder why Alfa took them out after 1989. Were there changes to the wire routing? For example, your diagram shows the right side headlight wiring running across the spar above the radiator. I could not find such wiring on my S4. Nobody has this kind of fun with a Honda.

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
...your diagram shows the right side headlight wiring running across the spar above the radiator. I could not find such wiring on my S4.
How about a photo or two of the front of the engine bay? Especially the radiator support area. Your other thread shows the wire harness running along the left inner fender.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ain't digital cameras sump'n else. You asked for pictures and in two shakes I got 'em for you. They are photos of my 91 Spider. Let me know if you'd like to see any other angles. David

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I've about finished the installation of the headlight relays on my '91 Series 4 Spider. When I was starting, I had posted a frustrating question that was stalling the project. I couldn't trace the existing headlight wiring because the color of the wires that run to the headlights wasn't the same as the colors shown on the official ALFA wiring diagram. I was stumped. I thought the wiring diagram was cat poo and that a guy named Luigi had been goofing on me personally. I didn't have any idea where to find the right wires leading to the headlight. Well, the answer wasn't that bad -- though it took me until this morning to figure it out when I completely removed the headlight buckets and peered back behind and below them. I still want to kill Luigi, but the answer is simple: The wires that attach to the plug for the headlights -- the ones you see when you remove the glassware -- are only a 12-inch "pigtail". That pigtail runs out the back of the bucket and then plugs into the wires (which you find only after disassembling the car) that actually run to the headlight switch. The wiring that the pigtail plugs into is the color shown on the wiring diagram. It's that wiring that runs to the switch along the side of the engine compartment bundled and wrapped in a thick layer of Italian electrical tape. Very confusing. Must kill Luigi.

Second thing I learned: The headlight wiring on a Series 4 runs along both sides of the engine compartment. It does not follow the path shown for an S3 in the earlier post. On an S4, the wires for the right headlight run along the right side of the engine bay; those going to the left light run along the left side. On each side, the wiring ducks down through a hole in the forward side of the engine compartment at a point just behind the spar that runs transversely on top of the radiator. From there the wires enter the forward inner section of the fender near the headlight.

Now that I have about finished installing the relays, please feel free to ask any questions about how the job proceeded. I'd be happy to share the things I learned, including "don't grab a hot falling soldering iron by the tip." David

1 - 20 of 40 Posts