Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 75 Twinspark parts car and the option of buying the 2lt Alfetta below. I know it seems an easy conversion, but has anybody done it? IE what do I need to know?

I also plan on putting the power steering and the gearbox with modified linakge into it as well.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
That looks like a good original car Id tune the original twin cam. it would be worth more here in the uk and i think if you want an alfeta gtv with more power get the v6
Just a thought.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It is and it isn't - mechanically it drops straight in onto the same mounts and hooks straight onto the drive shaft with no modification.
You should apparently bring as much of the Twin Spark setup with you as possible, to ease minor differences like cooling system plumbing etc. You also need both fuel pumps - the one at the tank and the one in the engine bay. And there are clearance issues with the bonnet and the front of the TS head. Beatle Bayly or Stefano Iachella will doubtless put you on to a few other sources of information. For my own '84 2.0 I went with a rebuild of the twin carb, but I'm not sure I would do it again. Depends entirely on the condition and cost of your TS motor. If it costs 2-3 grand for the motor in good nick, and a thousand to fit it, it may not be worth it. For $2000 all up it would be great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all, the Twinspark engine has around 80,000 on it, I can't remember exactly, and cost me nothing. The 75 is complete, although it is a rusty MOT failure. That means I have all the parts needed, and it all works.

What about the various electrical hookups? Are they simple enough?

Daz - the Alfetta has had a ground up restoration some years ago, including a complete front end using brand new Alfa parts (they were available back then). Since that time it has not been used, and has not deteriorated. That picture was taken at this years Italian Car day in Northern Ireland.

My plan is to drive it every day and use it, and get a GTV6 as a project car - along with my 3lt 75.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no fuel pump in the engine bay of a 75 TS, one is in the tank and one just in front of the tank.
Ok I can just bolt it off the chassis and reattach it to the GTV then?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Hi Belfast. I put a TS in my '78 GTV and LOVE driving it now. Exhaust, driveshaft and motor mounts all line up perfectly. Yes, there are minor coolant hose routing issues and hood clearance problems. I trimmed a section out of the central reinforcement on the underside of the hood. Yes, you're probaly cringing, but I'm not too concerned with what the underside of my hood looks like. The car begs you to put your foot in it over the Spica system that was in it originally. And with a european GTV, what's not to like? Wish we had them over here in the states. -Clark, Orlando, FL, USA

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your comments, it kinda confirms what I want to do. Interesting that it is only the hood reinforcement is needed to be cut. My thought is like yours, who cares? If I was wanting a concours car, I wouldn't be asking this in the first place.

Anyhow, me wanting a stock concours car would not sit too well with the fact that I am the Northern Ireland director of Scuderia Non Originale:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts