Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone does there own wheel alignment. I have been doing my own alfetta alignments for years. Now I have this adjustable rear end so I find myself having to align all four corners of the car. Level ground, marker, string line, tape measure, ruler. Any suggestions or methods that might help.

In a nut shell the front track is wider than the rear so i run a string line around the front of the car/tires to a pair of jack stands at the back of the car that are set apart the width of the front track. Set the string line the same distance from the center of the rear wheels either side and you should have a pretty accurate rectangle around the car. With this im just looking at the toe.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,837 Posts
I'd like to adjust the toe a bit on my Berlina, as for one the steering wheel is off, but it's also set up for more toe-out that I'd like and is a bit twitchy.

Any tips on setting just front toe? I was going to just measure from the same tread on each side, as close to the middle as possible, and go from there.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to adjust the toe a bit on my Berlina, as for one the steering wheel is off, but it's also set up for more toe-out that I'd like and is a bit twitchy.

Any tips on setting just front toe? I was going to just measure from the same tread on each side, as close to the middle as possible, and go from there.
Front toe can be measured from the front of the tire and the rear of the front tires and the diff is the toe. 105 suspension has allot more to adjust than a alfetta and I'm just talking about alfetta here. To center the steering wheel you adjust the toe the same direction on both sides in effect to move the steering rack/box across. A steering wheel thats off center isn't in its self a sign of incorrect alignment.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
4 Wheel Alignment

I'm guessing that you have an adjustable Watts link set up in the car. I do all of the alignments on our Lemons cars now that I have access to a Hunter 4 Head system. The system not only measures caster, camber and toe but also measures thrust angle so that I know if the car has any rear steer in it. I also know the the Dedion tube is slowly gaining more camber on the right side. We're going to have to change the tube pretty soon. The string method works but now that we have access to the Hunter we're pretty spoiled. It is nice to get print out for our records.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi alfaguy. Thanks for the reply. I have a de-dion thats adjustable for camber and toe. Its easy when its fixed, nothing to think about.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't have acess to the real equipment but I use the string method for toe and I have a Longacre camber/caster gauge. My de-dion is not adjustable...yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Adjustable De Dion

Hi alfaguy. Thanks for the reply. I have a de-dion thats adjustable for camber and toe. Its easy when its fixed, nothing to think about.
Pics? Source? :D :D

~Chris

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
My GURU Mechanic " Jeff " made this contraption out of wood and used a tape messure, and even today when I bring the car perfect every time. I'll see if I can get a picure and a description of his procedure.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Probably same principle as the string method only more repeatable, like to see it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/180622-adjustable-de-deon.html

Still working out the relative adjustment for given shim thickness.

Edit: If any one is interested I now have five stud hubs. An interesting thing to note is the use of the smaller half shafts. The larger V6 half shafts wouldn't fit with the plate welded to the de dion unless someone could find a way. I'm running a stock 2.5 so personally i believe the smaller 2lt half shafts will be fine. Remember they run them on the t/s. If you have a 3.0lt or an engine with more torque then you may have to figure out this mod in a way to utilize the larger V6 half shafts. Its a small difference but i also like the weight reduction of the smaller half shafts. To me they just look more agile and more over the V6 half shafts look over engineered for the car.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dude! You are a genius!

We are discussing this topic in the milano area and my approach to this was way more complicated. Did you build it yourself?

~Chris

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Since this thread has somewhat turned into a general discussion about wheel alignment...

NMMilano, thanks for the heads up on the Longacre caster/camber tool. Do you use the one with a magnet?

Also, how critical is it to have the front of the car level when using the tool? Really close or perfectly level?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
NMM, thanks, great information. I'm hoping that Longacre's analog camber/caster unit will work, since it is a tool I'll seldom use.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Biba69
Yeah I know, I wish there could be a tool library for Alfisti.
I bit the bullet because I figured I'd want make alot of adjustment on my race car and it would payoff in the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts