Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Anyone convert regular GTV to stepnose ?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Tom Frasca 
#1 ·
I've got a complete GTV front end sheet metal nose. Looking at it, it doesn't seem too hard to change it into a stepnose.
Some carefull cutting, a quick bend and a tig of a filler strip & it becomes a stepnose. Maybe a day or 2 of work.

Anyone's done it before ?

#4 ·
"Seems wrong to me. Many generations of GTV look great. Why not build the best of what it is?"

An abomination you say. Yes, maybe. I'm not familiar with Italian or Canadian car culture but I'm a Californian &
sins against factory original cars is in our DNA. We have a long history of mutilations.

#8 ·
An abomination you say. Yes, maybe. I'm not familiar with Italian or Canadian car culture but I'm a Californian & sins against factory original cars is in our DNA. We have a long history of mutilations.
My father-in-law is a big hot rod guy. 32 Vicky, 35 Ford and many others he's built or owned. I dig the culture.

I'm just not clear where this is going. Is it a Singer "best of each GTV in one" thing? Or putting something forward as something it's not? Guess intention is my question/concern.

#10 ·
... there's quite a few differences as noted already.

Don't forget the rear low vs high rear wheel arch differences and tail lamps, dash, interior and other associated jewelry. As an aside, my '73 GT Junior has low arches as that's all that was available for a rear end shut repair in those days - maybe i should graft on a nose :)

Anything sheet metal that's unobtanium (NOS or repro) can easily be remade by a skilled metal worker. That said, go for it - I'd use as much CF where possible. Document it here - Everybody loves to see money spent just for the hell of it :)

#11 ·
Why would you want to turn a late series GTV into a stepnose?
Has it been in a head-on collision or has the front end rusted out and fallen off or do you just not like the unificato look and have your heart set on seeing a stepnose front in your garage?
I ask because if your motivation is to improve the monetary value of your 1972 by giving it a "stepnose" job, then you will be frustrated... Not just because the price advantage isn't that significant to start with, but mainly because the differences between the cars are so vast (chrome facia, rear arches, interior, engine, gearbox, differential, etc) and parts so expensive, that you're betteroff buying a completed and well sorted riginal stepnose for possibly less money than it would cost to chop chop and mutilate a perfectly desireable 1972...

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
....the differences between the cars are so vast (chrome facia, rear arches, interior, engine, gearbox, differential, etc) and parts so expensive, that you're betteroff buying a completed and well sorted riginal stepnose for possibly less money than it would cost to chop chop and mutilate a perfectly desireable 1972...
Yup. Plus an original stepnose will appreciate in value, while it will be hard to sell a mutilated smoothnose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.