Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate anyone in the Ashland, MA area that is familiar with 164s to inspect a reported 164Q that was for sale on eBay (Item # 160130796493 - auction currently completed) for me. The car is too far away for my to inspect personally, and I am not that familiar with 164's to evaluate this car. I am willing to pay for your time to travel and return to the car as well as you time to inspect the car for me. I am particuarily concerned about:

1. Is the car actually a 164Q. It is listed as a 164LS Quadafilorio. Obviously, a 16Q is worth lot more than a 164LS.

2. The seller indicates that the right side was involved with an accident with a snow plow. What is the extent of the damage and does it affect the quality of the car?

3. If you were me, would you pay $7500.00 for this car.

I an a long time Alfa owner, but basically with Duetto's. This would be my first purchase of a "newer" Alfa. I would be planing on using it primarily as a daily driver during the summer and possibly as a daily driver during a typical mid-western driver during the winters.

I am not necessarily looking for a "new" 1994 car, but would be interested in knowing what I would be getting into if I purchased this car.

Please let me know if you would be willing to examine this car in my stead and what you would charge.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Tefelske

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
... for sale on eBay (Item # 160130796493 - auction currently completed)
That number shows a nice looking handbag :)!

I know there's a '95 Quad for sale for a little while now. Is the auction same as this car? This one also has a close encounter with a snow plow!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, That's the car

Yes that is the car. The correct eBay item number is 160130796443 (not 93) Sorry for the incorrect item. I am concerned about the accident damage but cannot inspect the car myself. (I live in Wisconsin). I'm also not an expert on 164's and don't know if this type of repair is a problem or not.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The car is definitely a Q. Unless the owner COMPLETELY transformed an LS to a Q as it all looks right.

I would ask for the VIN and I can look it up to be sure.

$7,500 looks like a bargain assuming the car isn't all rusted out underneath.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I grew up in SOCAL and don't know much about rust but I'm guessing that there is allways more that cannot be seen. Other than that if he has all the receipts for the recent work, $7500 is a good price in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Anyone Close to Ashland, MA to Check on Condition of 1994 164Q

I grew up in SOCAL and don't know much about rust but I'm guessing that there is allways more that cannot be seen. Other than that if he has all the receipts for the recent work, $7500 is a good price in my opinion.
I concur on all rust not being visible, especially since the car has obviously been used in the snow belt since it was involved in some type of tangle with a snow plow. Depending on the snow plow damage, my first concern would be there, if it did chassis damage or wiped out the whole side of the car so all you have left is a bondo facade.

I'm thinking of the kind of snow plows they use in Michigan which could do substantial damage, depending on speed at impact. We all know those snow plow operators never "speed plow." Second thought, does the state use salt on the roads which would contribute to rust in general and hidden or underneath rust if it was driven in the winter, which I'm assuming it was, since they don't normally plow roads in the summer.

At any rate, I think you're approaching the purchase properly, I would not buy the car sight unseen or before having it inspected by some one knowledgeable and reputable.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
By the VIN, it's a 1995Q. By the dual airbags, it's a 1995. It _looks_ like it has the larger intake runners, as a Q would have. The VIN digit S shows it as a 1995. The rust it shows is (for a 164) not at all worrisome. You might have to replace some brake lines, and maybe the lower alignment arms if they're too rusted, but I personally haven't seen 164 cars get terminal rust (and I've bought them from both OH and CT) unless they've had water sitting in the roof around the windscreen from plugged sunroof drains. Even that might not be terminal if you were trying to preserve a car with non-vanishing market value like a Q. Just my opinion.

But maybe you should look in to the Ferrari of Seattle Q? It shouldn't have any potential rust issues.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not Familiar with the Seattle Q

Can you give me a contact, thread, or website?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the History Lession

Very interesting! as they used to say on on Laugh In (now I'm really dating myself. I know I'm an old fart:)). From what I read if I'm not being senile, this car has been for sale for since at least February. But the price has come down considerably and into my price range.

I hoped that someone would want a "test drive" in a Q. If you are in the area, and could look at this car, please let me know. I would be more than willing to pay you for your time and expenses. I'm not looking for an "expert" to examine this car, just someone familiar with 164's. I would use your input with the other data I have from this BB to make my decision. It would be my decision, and I would not feel that you were responsible for it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep its the same car I contacted before.... and you have the link of that thread above... so its ur choice..:) and I ended up buying a nice and clean Red Q (which I think I made a good choice and got a good deal for what it is worth for wrt market demand for Qs)...

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Now that the owner has come down in his price, the value currently on the car is a steal. The rust and the repairs to the doors are issues you will have to have someone who is knowledgable about the car look over for you. If you have been reading the thread about what makes the 164 a special driving car, it is worth reading. :) I had my Nero out for a jaunt yesterday to get its smog check. Came out clean! I had alot of fun cruising in my car! Then again for more money there is a Q for sale in Seattle. :)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I wonder if FOS finally got the issues resolved on that Q? Does anyone know what that one is going for?

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep its the same car I contacted before.... and you have the link of that thread above... so its ur choice..:) and I ended up buying a nice and clean Red Q (which I think I made a good choice and got a good deal for what it is worth for wrt market demand for Qs)...
Pavan,

Would you have purchased this car for $7500? I realize that because you live in CA instead of the "rust belt" your idea of what is "bad" rust is different than mine.

I hope to talk to Ian and have him e-mail me the underside photos that he sent you.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased this car

Although I couldn't get any one to look at this car for me, I decided to purchase it sight unseen. For the stated price of $7500, I figured I would not get another 164Q at this price, and becuse they are becoming increasing rare, and it was either now or never. As Mark Twain once said, "You will be more upset about the decisions that you did not make than those you did make." Time will tell if I made the "right" decision, however, I feel good about this purchase and look forward to seeing this car in my driveway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts