Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally tired of chasing cracks in the front pipe/cat converter on my '82 spider. I was looking on eBay and spotted this front pipe/cat. The price is right. But has anyone bought one? If so is the fit right? I hate to pay $400 + at IAP or Centerline.

Originally I was going to use a '71-'74 2 piece manifold, and adapt the O2 sensor to the early front pipe. AHHHH I just don't want the bother so I'm going to eBay the 2 piece manifold and just go with the stock replacement pipe.

eBay Motors: High Flow Catalytic Converter Alfa Romeo Spider 82 94 (item 140192429479 end time Jan-21-08 08:22:34 PST)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'm finally tired of chasing cracks in the front pipe/cat converter on my '82 spider. I was looking on eBay and spotted this front pipe/cat. The price is right. But has anyone bought one? If so is the fit right? I hate to pay $400 + at IAP or Centerline.

Originally I was going to use a '71-'74 2 piece manifold, and adapt the O2 sensor to the early front pipe. AHHHH I just don't want the bother so I'm going to eBay the 2 piece manifold and just go with the stock replacement pipe.
Do you have a link to follow?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm going to keep the original exhaust manifold and just replace the front pipe with a replacement pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Here's my recommendation to everyone: find yourself a good muffler shop and just let them build stuff for you. I needed a new cat for my '90 and my downpipes were dented so I decided to spring for the $600 Centerline unit. Stuck it on, and I had rubbing issues. Centerline told me they weren't happy with their current batch and there was no guarantee that another one would fit any better. They offered to take it back but thought I might be able to save myself a lot of hassle by just getting a muffler shop to fenagle it a bit.

So I go in to Bud's Muffler here in Denver and they put it up on the lift and said they wouldn't be able to just bend it but rather would have to cut out a couple of sections, bend a couple of new pipes and weld them back in. So I'm seeing $$$$ flash in front of my face. The guy said "let's go up front and I'll add everything up and give you an estimate." Ouch, right? The estimate? $60! LOL

When I picked it up I talked to them and he just guesstimated that they could have recreated the whole thing with a Magnaflow high-flow cat for $300. Wow I felt like a sucker! Not to denigrate any of the folks selling these - they need to build them and sell them at a profit while Bud's just would've gotten a small profit on the Magnaflow and charged me labor. I just think that's a better way to go!

OTOH, if you got one of those posted above and had any fitment issues you could get it fixed really cheap like I did.....

Chris

Chris

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Here's my recommendation to everyone: find yourself a good muffler shop and just let them build stuff for you.
But bring your own cans if you can as they get a bit pricey if you order them through the regular muffler shops like Midas and such.

EG: Cole muffler, S3 center muffler, special order, $235 and a couple days wait for it to arrive from whatever warehouse.

Same muffler @ Centerline $89 + s&h and a couple days wait for it to arrive at your door.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Geezer - First, to answer your question directly: No, I haven't used one of these set-ups. I would be cautious about this item, though, because the seller claims that it will fit Spiders from model years '82 - '94. As Enrique says above, none of the S2, S3, and S4 OEM manifolds are interchangeable, so I would check to see if the downpipe assembly would indeed fit S3's and S4's.

If you are going to sell your 2-piece manifold and it is in good shape, I am interested in buying it.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Take a close look at the enlarged photo of the Ebay pipes. Looks like the O2 fitting is nearly vertical which will put the sensor up against the bottom of the body.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Don't buy this pipe! I bought it and have had no luck installing it on my '84 as the flange holes will not line up with the studs on my stock exhaust manifold.

Believe it or not, the unit is a Magnaflow unit. The unit I bought off of Wundercar on ebay was shipped to me directly from Magnaflow. I was very happy until I tried to install.

I've contacted Magnaflow and they offered no solution other than to return it to the vendor for a refund. I sent them pictures of the fitment problem, at their request and received no reply.

Also, previous post concerning the O2 sensor angle is correct. Replacement bosch sensor was going to hit the underside of the car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I took my 71 1750 to the nearest Midas. They put a complete 2" system on it for $325. (no Cat) Originally it has a center muffler and a rear glass pack. I was getting that horrible rattling sound that 19 year old honda Civis drivers seem to love so much, with every shift. I took it back. The guy at Midas (he has been bending pipe for 30 years) said " some kids pay good mouney for that sound". Anyway he suggested installing a front glasspack and get this, installing it backwards. It worked wonders. Cut out all the high pitched screaming. My car now has a wonderful roar when I down shift or hit it hard but that nice low hum at highway speeds. I can still hear the radio. The aditional glass pack cost me another $19. He says that installing it backwards will cause the "glass" to burn out faster but that the expanded metal along the center is what is muting the sound. I think he knows what he is talking about. I know this doesn't help much as you need a cat but it may help someone else.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't buy this pipe! I bought it and have had no luck installing it on my '84 as the flange holes will not line up with the studs on my stock exhaust manifold.

Believe it or not, the unit is a Magnaflow unit. The unit I bought off of Wundercar on ebay was shipped to me directly from Magnaflow. I was very happy until I tried to install.

I've contacted Magnaflow and they offered no solution other than to return it to the vendor for a refund. I sent them pictures of the fitment problem, at their request and received no reply.

Also, previous post concerning the O2 sensor angle is correct. Replacement bosch sensor was going to hit the underside of the car.

HMMMMM that dosen't speak well of Magnaflow. Was it just a little off where a tweak would fix it or was it just plain bad workmanship?

In looking at most of the pics of the front pipe that I have found on the internet, most if not all appear to be Magnaflow or a close copy, Centerline's is a little different. Did you find a pipe that fits?

Has anyone tried the one that Simon sells?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Don;

Hey thanks for the info that part number (23511) is the same for both partsamerica and ebay. I was all set to order it up.
Anyone have luck with any downpipe/CAT piece on a S3 stock exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
971 Posts
My plan is to bore out two of the flange holes on the pipe in order to connect with the manifold. Just haven't had time to mess with it lately. Not sure what I'll do about the O2 sensor but I figure I'll tackle one thing at a time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My plan is to bore out two of the flange holes on the pipe in order to connect with the manifold. Just haven't had time to mess with it lately. Not sure what I'll do about the O2 sensor but I figure I'll tackle one thing at a time.
Please post pics of the process.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Well, I wish I had read this thread a couple days ago! I happened upon this auction on e-bay, asked the seller if it was a Magnaflow, he said it was so I bought it. The price was so good I don't mind if I have to dork with it a bit to get it to fit my 86 but hopefully nothing major.

I'll repost back here with an update once I get it and try to install it.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 32 Posts