Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I live in Los Angeles and have been looking for a 1969 GTV for awhile now (as documented here).

The only 1969 that has come up in my budget/condition requirement is the one that has been on Gullwing Motors in Astoria NY for months now. I've heard good and bad things about Gullwing so I was hoping a fellow AlfaBB member might live close to Gullwing and go check out this car for me:
1969 Used Alfa Romeo GTV Coupe at Gullwing Motor Cars Inc. Serving Astoria, NY, IID 6895325

Better yet, has someone seen it already? What did you make of it? Rust? Anything unusual? I seems the front fender marker lights have been removed, which makes me wonder what else has been done to it. And how come the rear fender has the overrides on them? They are from a later year if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I emailed Gullwing and they got back to me with more photos, but as for my questions, all I got was this "It might be, we have no information on it. This car came from CT".

Here is a link to all the photos I got sent.

These are my unanswered questions, if anyone goes to check it out, start with these. If any experts here can help out with these answers, please do so.

1. Does this car show any rust?
  2. Anything unusual about the car?
  3. It seems the front fender marker lights have been removed, why?
  4. How come the rear fender has overrides on it?
  5. How many owners has it had?
  6. Has it ever been repainted? Is it the original color? From the photos it looks like it was yellow perhaps.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
816 Posts
GTV at GullWing

Hi
It appears that there are 2 different cars pictured. There is a European 69 and probably a 71 or 72. I went to Gullwing about 4 months ago to look at the 58 Sprint Veloce project. They have about 200 cars packed into 3 warehouses and an outdoor lot. The Giulietta was crammed in the back of one of the buildings. I had to crawl over several cars to even get to it. Their asking price is silly. I made an offer, but they are sticking to a price higher than it's worth. I didn't look at anything else, so I can't comment on the 69 GTV. I suspect that it is too expensive. Everything there is essentially too expensive. Several people have looked at the Montreals with the same conclusion.
Are you looking for a 69 in particular? We have a customer selling a nice 74 GTV.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
816 Posts
The floors look complete homemade. Notice the metal bars holding the seat track bolts. The engine is a 2000 Berlina block.
This is not a car that I'd want to pay 14,000 plus shipping to the west coast.
KG

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Meh... I wouldn't pay $14.5K for this one (plus $2-3K shipping to CA). It looks like an ok starting point for a restoration but you'd be WAY underwater by the time you got it to a #1 or 2+ condition. An "amazing" '69 should run you about $30-35K tops right now. I think you'll find a much better '69 than this for a few $ more if you can exercise patience.

This one has a bunch of concerns to my eye. Here are a few (not all):

1. No side markers = bondo. If there is bondo covering up the side marker holes then what about the rest of the car?

2. Rear bumper may have been replaced but why? Simple bumper dings or rear end accident?

3. Looks like maybe the original color was changed.

4. Fresh black spray paint all over the undercarriage is probably (read: definitely) hiding rust.

5. Sills look questionable.

6. Tons of oil leaks, old tires, neglected engine compartment... (just illustrates a general lack of care).

7. Cracked dash. Torn seats (do you know what FB covers run :eek:), covered wood under E brake (missing/damaged wood), poorly fitted rear seats, blah blah blah... again, "lack of care".

IMO, this '69 would be more fairly priced around $9K. Even still, I don't think you could bring this car to #1 or 2+ condition and come remotely close to getting your investment back.

Hang in there. Winter is just around the corner (except for where you live Drew ;)) and some nice cars should be coming up for sale.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Just a few quick observations;

The car is a Series 1 European version. The side markers were not removed because it never had any.
Has a Series 2 rear bumper.
Has a 2l USA Spica engine converted to carbs.
Two right seats.
Has had bodywork and been repainted.

And some other stuff not worth mentioning because of the high asking price.

·
Registered
596 Posts
the 69 was for sale privately here in CT about a year ago for ~$10k. I never got to see the car at that point but the owner sold it to Gullwing and it has been advertised at the $14.5k since. It is in fact a Euro model, older body number pics from previous owner confirmed that. Beyond that I defer the more scrupulous observations of the previous posters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the info. I think this car is too much trouble. I'm looking for something that needs a bit of work, but nothing like fixing homemade seat brackets and floopans.

As fangio8 said, I can get a better '69 if I keep looking. So if anyone sees a 1969, preferably in dark blue, let me know! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts