Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious but does anyone know who the jerk is selling the 86 spider on Craigslist in Houston? That is correct he listed his car as an Afla Romero. I sent the guy a nice email about his mispelling, (BTW it was also mispelled in the body of the email so I doubt it was a typo) and pointed out that nobody would find his car if the where actually looking for a spider received the following response.

Subject: Re: alfa
To: [email protected]
Date: Thursday, August 4, 2011, 9:06 PM

Post says not to contact if you can't afford to buy it. So do not contact me again ! You

In a message dated 8/4/2011 6:42:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:
** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: craigslist | about > scams

Might be hard to sell a car when you spell the name of the car incorrectly. It is Alfa Romeo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here is the ad.

Alfa Romero

Some people just can't be helped. You should check out the ad. Maybe the worst pics I have ver seen in an ad but that is his business.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doh, that thing looks like the centerpiece in a St. Patty's day parade...

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
*slightly* amusing coming from someone who's handle is "new2alpha"...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know. When I picked that handle 5 or 6 years ago I thought it was clever but after spending 4 years on my rebuild and maybe a thousand hours I don't feel so new any more and now I am stuck with it. I only hope that in 20 or so years I will have spent a few thousand more hours on alfas. BTW I see you have a number of Alfettas. There is a very interesting Alfetta for sale in Austin on Craigslist. ( I see you are in CA so that might be a problem) I would be intereested but I am really looking for a GTV. I have a 2000CC engine and tranny ready to drop in. A nice rust free South Texas car would suit me fine. My 71 spider spent 18.5 years in a garage and had zero rust.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
I always search e-Bay for every combination of Alpha/Alfa and Romero/Romeo and find items in each pairing. I hope they don;t know what it is and it's going cheaply. I've even found motorhomes.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
No good turn goes unpunished, Gary. :) This is a good example of secondary ignorance: not knowing that you don't know . . . and then reacting negatively when your error is pointed out.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Kind of like your misspelling? ;) I don't know who the guy is, but maybe the old saying "you shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house" applies here?

"That is correct he listed his car as an Afla Romero".

·
Push hard and live
11,328 Posts
I'm tempted to start a thread just to archive the other thread headers that are misspelled. A quick survey might hint that Alfa owners are, at best, semi-literate.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Well, at least it's not as bad as the guy here in Houston that keeps listing his ratty, stripped, POS Fiat Spider as an Alfa. I sent a message and got no response, but it still get reposted over and over again. Now I just flag it as spam when I see it. Some people...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts