Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Becker Grand Prix out of a 1987 at the local Pick-n-pull recently. Hooked it up to 12V and so far it works.

I have yet to try it with speakers, but I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with 80's Beckers?

I've heard mixed reviews. I like the look, and think it looks more appropriate in the Berlina than the current 2005 vintage Pioneer, which is also having trouble staying on lately.

But before I try to mount it I thought I'd see if it's a waste of time, or worth the effort.

I know it's not exactly high power. I have a few amps in the basement I could use if needed.

Here's what it looks like:

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mercedes Benz used to use Becker. As I remember, a no nonsense radio. I think it even has a "weather" band.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, this one came out of a 190. I know the really old models are highly sought after, but there isn't too much info on the late 80's models.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Becker NA is still alive and well in NJ with tons of radios, parts and service readily available here's their website: index

FWIW... your '74 Berlina would look much more authentic (if that matters to you) with a Becker Europa II stereo radio. They are available through Becker NA (rebuilt) and eBay quite regularly ($200 can score a nice one). Easily Ipod compatible. Just plug a wire in back (available through Becker NA for $50).

No need for an amp what-so-ever (and will DRIVE four modern speakers) if you do this: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/audio-audio-electrical/151158-amazing-option-vintage-50s-70s-alfa-radios.html

Although I've heard they're pretty good as is (stock) with just two speakers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The 1980's (612) grand prix fit with the 1980's vehicle; however, I don't do 1980's music.

Sound quality is amazing. Hard to get excited about using cassette tapes. I have enjoyed the Becker NA installed "ipod" plug as a update. Service from Becker NA is first rate.

Attached is a collection of a few PDFs.

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For now the dash has been hacked to accept a standard DIN radio. As I'm "restoring" this Berlina on the cheap for now, I'm just looking for a DIN radio that doesn't constantly cut out, and I'm happy to use a cassette adapter for my ipod for now since the Berlina is pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw something about the amp but it looks like a 300 unit, not a 190. I'll poke around if I go back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts